• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD M33 Streaming Amplifier Review

TheRealGru

I followed the instructions on YouTube video from Dirac on how to set up Dirac. I must be doing something wrong as while my sub works and runs, the sound no longer has the heft. No good bass really.

I setup up the 2 fronts and sub showed in Dirac connected via LFE.

I did mic calibration, volume level and then run all 17 points using a stand.

Result: lifeless sound. Nothing comparing what I had before, 1st time around.

Ideas?

TheRealGru

If I now swap sub to preout, will I have to re-run measurements again? I hope not.

Last edited:

pogo

Major Contributor
Yes you need a new run and appropriate settings on the sub!
The sub function must not be active on the M33!

TheRealGru

Yes you need a new run and appropriate settings on the sub!
The sub function must not be active on the M33!
What do you mean by appropriate settings? Does it mean I need to select 'no subwoofer' in BluOS and the rerun Dirac Live while connected to preout output?

pogo

Major Contributor
Yes, and first you need to set the Sub level, crossover frequency and phase appropriately.

Have you tried it with this new function?: Link

What does your target curve look like?
Maybe you just need to adjust them without a new measurement!

TheRealGru

Yes, and first you need to set the Sub level, crossover frequency and phase appropriately.

Have you tried it with this new function?: Link

What does your target curve look like?
Maybe you just need to adjust them without a new measurement!
I am running the latest 3.3.3 version of Dirac on Win11. My curve looks like this:

Left:
1658630339392.png

Right:

1658630422847.png

Subwoofer:

1658630458324.png

pogo

Major Contributor
You don't have to remeasure. Just increase the sub slider by a few dB and start a new filter export.

TheRealGru

I increased slider by 4db and exported new filter. A little better but I feel fronts are lacking mid bass...

pogo

Major Contributor
I would continue to try the sub function of the M33 for now and switch the left and right channels to the old display method (see circled on the right). There you could then drag a correction point upwards as I indicated.
DL.png

The best way to do this is to save a target curve, which you can then apply equally to the left and right channels.

Last edited:

TheRealGru

I would continue to try the sub function of the M33 for now and switch the left and right channels to the old display method (see circled on the right). There you could then drag a correction point upwards as I indicated.
View attachment 220117

The best way to do this is to save a target curve, which you can then apply equally to the left and right channels.
I think that worked! Still testing. I took it up to +6db (maybe a little bit too much) but tweaking it still. Thank you @pogo

Idontknow

If HDMI input auto sense is ON, should the M33 turn ON when TV is turned ON (HDMI/eARC)? I used Optical 1 with my older TV and it turned the M33 ON, but now with HDMI it does not.

TV is Sony android, Bravia Sync list shows the M33 after i turn it ON manually. I have pressed the Enable button but it does not help.

TheRealGru

If HDMI input auto sense is ON, should the M33 turn ON when TV is turned ON (HDMI/eARC)? I used Optical 1 with my older TV and it turned the M33 ON, but now with HDMI it does not.

TV is Sony android, Bravia Sync list shows the M33 after i turn it ON manually. I have pressed the Enable button but it does not help.
It should turn on. I have Sony A80J OLED and M33. Had tested HDMI but stayed with optical as it does the same thing and I did not feel like running the cable in the wall again.

It will not turn off though I am told by NAD. Also, is your cable eARC and high speed?

Hoeksel

Well, tonight my M33 decided to not be found by the BluOS application and continuously reboot. Too tired to dive in, but seems it died on me. Great quality those Masters series!

vanwalsum

Just want to share my experience. Previously I used an NAD M10 with some Dali Opticon 5's mk2. I loved Dirac because it really makes the music sound better. When switching after measurement on and off, I noticed a little lack of punch but on sounded better. The I switched to a Peachtree Nova 300, fantastisch amp, but I missed Dirac. So I bought an M10 again and directly did a Dirac measurement with my newly Umik one. I never got pleased with the sound again and stopped using Dirac. Then I upgraded to an NAD M33 and some Epicon 2's. Better sound. But Dirac was not what I thought it was. A few months back I bought some Epicon 6's. Tried Dirac again and did not like the sound. This afternoon I found in the M33 box the supplied microphone. Run Dirac and directly I preferred Dirac on.

So, if you did not get pleased by Dirac live and your Umik one. Try the supplied one! Did 10 to 15 measurements again back in the days so it was nog based on just en few measurements. I used the right correction for the Umik and punt it up with the 90 degree file.

doorofnight

Nice combination :) I have the NAD M33 with the Epicon's also and I also use the supplied mic instead of the UMIK. Do you use it with a stand? The UMIK gave some problems. I also prefer DIRAC on, with the Epicon 6's.

Nevertheless: recently I boxed the M33 and wait for the distortion fix (no news yet :()

I bought a Minidsp SHD and connected it to a the Lyngdorf SDA2400 power amp. I must say: the SQ is excellent.

Top Bottom