• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD M66 (vs NAD M33 and M10V2)

Cpopovic

A forum member recently asked me publish a post to outline the key differences in sound between the NAD M10V2, NAD M33 and NAD M66. I had the pleasure to either own, listen or trial them so here is my take.

Starting with the NAD M10V2

The NAD M10V2 is a great entry in to the audiophile world. It offers an engaging sound profile, delivering a well-balanced and detailed listening experience. Its bass response is authoritative and well-controlled, without overpowering the mids or treble. Vocals are rendered with clarity and natural timbre, while instrumental textures are presented with precision. The overall soundstage is expansive, allowing for ample separation between instruments and vocals, creating a sense of spaciousness and depth. The NAD M10V2 excels at reproducing a wide range of genres, from lively pop and rock to lush orchestral pieces and delicate acoustic performances. A great all-rounder.

NAD M33

The NAD M33 offers a better sonic experience with its enhanced power and precision. The bass response is even more authoritative, with exceptional impact and detail. The mids are enriched with a natural warmth and richness, while the treble is extended and airy, adding sparkle and definition to the sound. The soundstage expands further, creating a more immersive and enveloping listening experience. Instrumental timbres are rendered with remarkable accuracy, revealing subtle nuances and textures. The NAD M33 is particularly well-suited for genres that demand a dynamic and engaging presentation, such as jazz fusion, progressive rock, and electronic music. Still a great integrated amplifier.

NAD M66

The newly launched NAD M66 is closer to the audiophile sound quality, we are all thriving for, offering a reference-level listening experience. The bass response is simply sublime, with effortless authority and exceptional definition. The mids are incredibly smooth and balanced, with a captivating naturalness and vocals are engaging and natural. The treble extends to remarkable heights, revealing the finest details and textures with remarkable precision. The soundstage is expectional and creating an great sense of immersion and presence. Instrumental timbres are rendered with absolute accuracy, allowing listeners to hear each instrument distinctly and in its purest form. The NAD M66 is the ideal choice for audiophiles seeking the pinnacle of sonic fidelity, capable of reproducing even the most demanding recordings with clarity and realism.

Conclusion :

Overall, the NAD M10V2, NAD M33, and NAD M66 represent a diverse range of NAD audio products, and cater to the needs of a wide spectrum of listeners:

The NAD M10V2's versatile and engaging sound profile is suited for everyday listening, while the NAD M33 elevates the listening with enhanced power and precision. The NAD M66 however has audiophile sound quality, offering an unmatched listening experience to more demanding users but this demand comes with hefty price tag (€6K for the streaming DAC only). Again, these are my personal impressions and others may have diverging opinions.

I hope this helps!
Christian

Last edited:

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
A forum member recently asked me publish a post to outline the key differences in sound between the NAD M10V2, NAD M33 and NAD M66. I had the pleasure to either own, listen or trial them so here is my take.

The NAD M10V2 is a great entry in to the audiophile world. It offers an engaging sound profile, delivering a well-balanced and detailed listening experience. Its bass response is authoritative and well-controlled, without overpowering the mids or treble. Vocals are rendered with clarity and natural timbre, while instrumental textures are presented with precision. The overall soundstage is expansive, allowing for ample separation between instruments and vocals, creating a sense of spaciousness and depth. The NAD M10V2 excels at reproducing a wide range of genres, from lively pop and rock to lush orchestral pieces and delicate acoustic performances. A great all-rounder.

NAD M33

The NAD M33 offers a better sonic experience with its enhanced power and precision. The bass response is even more authoritative, with exceptional impact and detail. The mids are enriched with a natural warmth and richness, while the treble is extended and airy, adding sparkle and definition to the sound. The soundstage expands further, creating a more immersive and enveloping listening experience. Instrumental timbres are rendered with remarkable accuracy, revealing subtle nuances and textures. The NAD M33 is particularly well-suited for genres that demand a dynamic and engaging presentation, such as jazz fusion, progressive rock, and electronic music. Still a great integrated amplifier.

NAD M66

The newly launched NAD M66 is closer to the audiophile sound quality, we are all thriving for, offering a reference-level listening experience. The bass response is simply sublime, with effortless authority and exceptional definition. The mids are incredibly smooth and balanced, with a captivating naturalness and vocals are engaging and natural. The treble extends to remarkable heights, revealing the finest details and textures with remarkable precision. The soundstage is expectional and creating an great sense of immersion and presence. Instrumental timbres are rendered with absolute accuracy, allowing listeners to hear each instrument distinctly and in its purest form. The NAD M66 is the ideal choice for audiophiles seeking the pinnacle of sonic fidelity, capable of reproducing even the most demanding recordings with clarity and realism.

Conclusion :

Overall, the NAD M10V2, NAD M33, and NAD M66 represent a diverse range of NAD audio products, and cater to the needs of a wide spectrum of listeners:

The NAD M10V2's versatile and engaging sound profile is suited for everyday listening, while the NAD M33 elevates the listening with enhanced power and precision. The NAD M66 however has audiophile sound quality, offering an unmatched listening experience to more demanding users but this demand comes with hefty price tag (€6K for the streaming DAC only).

I hope this helps!
Christian
Did you do level matched and controlled listening tests?

Sorry to say, if not, those are simply your personal impressions in your room with your speakers influenced by your human biases. Not really useful to someone else who will most certainly have a different room, different speakers and certainly different preferences. Let alone associate different things with “warm” or any other adjectives.

It is the reason why you hardly find impressions like this here in this forum (plenty of other forums which value those).

OP
Cpopovic

Cpopovic

I thought the 66 was a preamp or am I mistaken? So doesn't it's comparison with the m10 and m33 require a power amp?
Yes the comparison is hard to do and it is assuming you have power amps paired with the M66 preamplifier (monoblocs with purifi modules in my case used with the NAD M10V2 AND M66)

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

NAD M33

NAD M66

Conclusion :

The NAD M10V2's versatile and engaging sound profile is suited for everyday listening, while the NAD M33 elevates the listening with enhanced power and precision. The NAD M66 however has audiophile sound quality, offering an unmatched listening experience to more demanding users but this demand comes with hefty price tag (€6K for the streaming DAC only).

I hope this helps!
Christian
Hi

I see you are fairly new here, welcome to the site.

However, this site does not really value this sort of uncontrolled listening report, particularly for electronics:

We are aware that:
1 - what you hear is heavily influenced by your speakers and room.
2 - Differences between electronics are so small to be largely or completely inaudible - especially when dominated by speaker/room effects.
3 - Our hearing is subject to cognitive bias in sighted listening - in which our subconscious brain can alter what we hear based on many other factors - including what we know we are listening to.

Because of these things, we recognise that what is heard in sighted listening tests is really only of value to the person listening - and almost certainly won't apply to anyone else.

This is why there is a heavy focus on measurements here. Measurement instruments are much more sensitive than our ears, and are consistent and repeatable - not impacted by the weirdnesses imposed by our subconscious.

I understand you are responding to a request, and have spent valuable time creating this post as a result - but perhaps in this case it would have been better to respond via private message.

We DO value listening tests which are controlled (level matched, blind and statistically relevant) - which are the only way listening tests can provide factual confirmation of differences heard between electronic components.

For further information on these topics see Amir's videos:

And

Last edited:
OP
Cpopovic

Cpopovic

Did you do level matched and controlled listening tests?

Sorry to say, if not, those are simply your personal impressions in your room with your speakers influenced by your human biases. Not really useful to someone else who will most certainly have a different room, different speakers and certainly different preferences. Let alone associate different things with “warm” or any other adjectives.

It is the reason why you hardly find impressions like this here in this forum (plenty of other forums which value those).
You are absolutely correct. These are only my impressions and not a professional review done in a controlled environment.

pogo

Major Contributor
It would be interesting to know what the setups looked like, i.e. which speakers were used, was an external power amplifier connected to the M33 identical to the M66, ...?

pinger

I doubt very much you could tell the difference between the amps in a blind test. You buy amps based on features, build quality and aesthetics.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So, the sound is just getting better and better as the price increases... How convenient...;)

I doubt very much you could tell the difference between the amps in a blind test.
Which is very unlikely to happen anyway, especially when you compare two integrated amps against a preamp.

You are absolutely correct. These are only my impressions and not a professional review done in a controlled environment.
If ever "professional" reviews would be done in a controlled environment. :p

Last edited:

boomtheroom

NAD M33

NAD M66

Conclusion :

The NAD M10V2's versatile and engaging sound profile is suited for everyday listening, while the NAD M33 elevates the listening with enhanced power and precision. The NAD M66 however has audiophile sound quality, offering an unmatched listening experience to more demanding users but this demand comes with hefty price tag (€6K for the streaming DAC only). Again, these are my personal impressions and others may have diverging opinions.

I hope this helps!
Christian
would love to see the sinad measurements.... anyone willing to send one to @amirm to test?

MingChops

@Cpopovic Do you have subs? And did you run Dirac Live Bass Control on the M66?

The most important and useful comparison I would like to see is comparing DLBC vs regular Dirac in the M10 and M33. Of course this would require that you have subs to make it a useful test, and then to also run REW before and after to verify the impact of each correction. But this is the biggest reason I am potentially interested in an M66 is for DLBC, on a 2.2 setup.

Thanks

pogo

Major Contributor
M10 and M33 also get DLBC and maybe even DLART ;)

MingChops

M10 and M33 also get DLBC and maybe even DLART ;)
Well I’ll believe that when I see it…..! :) I think NADs promise of updates and also MDC’s has in general been in my eyes somewhat under-utilised, noting the fact they didn’t produce a Dirac module for the M12 being the most egregious omission.

Still, I’m keen to see what comes out of NAD as they are the most forward thinking of the traditional Hifi brands. An M66 in the living room and an M10 in the office, all with DLBC, could make for a very effective pair of systems.

D

Deleted member 48726

Well I’ll believe that when I see it…..! :) I think NADs promise of updates and also MDC’s has in general been in my eyes somewhat under-utilised, noting the fact they didn’t produce a Dirac module for the M12 being the most egregious omission.

Still, I’m keen to see what comes out of NAD as they are the most forward thinking of the traditional Hifi brands. An M66 in the living room and an M10 in the office, all with DLBC, could make for a very effective pair of systems.
Like their modular expansion thing they first made obsolete by making their Ver. 2 incompatible with ver. 1 and now they kinda ditched the idea!? -I'm not sure if you can buy their amps with modular upgrades today.

Descartes

Major Contributor

NAD M33

NAD M66

Conclusion :

I hope this helps!
Christian
Interesting but it is all subjective opinions we need to see some data that proves the opinion!

Descartes

Major Contributor

NAD M33

NAD M66

Conclusion :

I hope this helps!
Christian
So interesting and so subjective! No data comparing them, just opinions
“The NAD M66 however has audiophile sound quality, offering an unmatched listening experience to more demanding users

So funny

OP
Cpopovic

Cpopovic

So interesting and so subjective! No data comparing them, just opinions
“The NAD M66 however has audiophile sound quality, offering an unmatched listening experience to more demanding users

So funny
I'm glad I made your day

I'd be happy to provide you with some data to support my initial impressions but I'm not a professional reviewer. However, HIFI is by nature a highly subjective experience, and what sounds good to me may not necessarily sound good to you.

Let's wait for a more in-depth assessment from an experienced member after he gets hold of the NAD M66.

Jaxjax

At $5500. You would think they would have added AES out. I see they did AES in on this one. Ill keep my C658 at this price .. Nice unit though & would fill most all my needs.
Joe

Top Bottom