• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD M33 Streaming Amplifier Review

pogo

Major Contributor
Tried Dirac again and did not like the sound. This afternoon I found in the M33 box the supplied microphone. Run Dirac and directly I preferred Dirac on.

Another explanation could be the changed DL implementation within the M33, which was rolled out with the BluOS update about 8 months ago: Link

Last edited:

vanwalsum

Another explanation could be the changed DL implementation within the M33, which was rolled out with the BluOS update about 8 months ago: Link
Nope, in the meantime i did many new measurements just because i did not understand why it sounded not als good as i remember.

vanwalsum

Nice combination :) I have the NAD M33 with the Epicon's also and I also use the supplied mic instead of the UMIK. Do you use it with a stand? The UMIK gave some problems. I also prefer DIRAC on, with the Epicon 6's.

Nevertheless: recently I boxed the M33 and wait for the distortion fix (no news yet :()

I bought a Minidsp SHD and connected it to a the Lyngdorf SDA2400 power amp. I must say: the SQ is excellent.
Yes, i use it with a check stand. Than it's just easier to move around and get the locations correct. Sad news about your M33!

pogo

Major Contributor
Nope, in the meantime i did many new measurements just because i did not understand why it sounded not als good as i remember.

Did you have this setup in use?:

Dirac Live 3.3.3​

2022-05-12

Fixes
  • Software gain not applied correctly on UMIK-1 (USB-C version) on MacOS

vanwalsum

Did you have this setup in use?:

Dirac Live 3.3.3​

2022-05-12

Fixes
  • Software gain not applied correctly on UMIK-1 (USB-C version) on MacOS
Yes, always keep an eye on the changes in software and the gain. Even last year in august there was an update with some phase errors.

slaweks

Forum Donor
Just want to share my experience. Previously I used an NAD M10 with some Dali Opticon 5's mk2. I loved Dirac because it really makes the music sound better. When switching after measurement on and off, I noticed a little lack of punch but on sounded better. The I switched to a Peachtree Nova 300, fantastisch amp, but I missed Dirac. So I bought an M10 again and directly did a Dirac measurement with my newly Umik one. I never got pleased with the sound again and stopped using Dirac. Then I upgraded to an NAD M33 and some Epicon 2's. Better sound. But Dirac was not what I thought it was. A few months back I bought some Epicon 6's. Tried Dirac again and did not like the sound. This afternoon I found in the M33 box the supplied microphone. Run Dirac and directly I preferred Dirac on.

So, if you did not get pleased by Dirac live and your Umik one. Try the supplied one! Did 10 to 15 measurements again back in the days so it was nog based on just en few measurements. I used the right correction for the Umik and punt it up with the 90 degree file.
Did you use Mac? In my case Dirac worked well with Umik1 on my Mac up to a few months ago, then, I guess after some operating system update, things got bad, the result of calibration without any imaging, really bad. Using M33 supplied microphone restored good results. I do not think Umik was to blame - I bought another one and also saw some strange results with REW. Everything works OK if using a Windows laptop.

pogo

Major Contributor
Here are my first experiences with a Bluesound HUB in combination with my M33:

The Bluesound HUB can act as a remote input section in a BluOS system. Up to 4 HUBs can be operated simultaneously in the network.
I had no problems with the setup via WLAN, i.e. select the HUB directly on the tablet under WIFI and enter the access data in the BluOS app. The rest is done automatically, including the update to the latest BluOS version, here 3.18.7.

Here now the first comparison to my 'normal' inputs on the M33
In the HUB menu the following items are not included:
- Autosense
- ADC sample rate (only for analog inputs)
- Gain (only for analog inputs)
- MQA passthrough (only for digital inputs)

The selection of the display VU meter, etc... for the HUB is done in the M33 menu under the item BluOS (radio services).
The HUB inputs cannot be accessed directly via the original remote control. With a Bluesound RC1 it is possible, if you use a preset memory location for this and you can even preset the volume setting there. Makes sense for me, for example, if I use the M33 as a front amp. My surround decoder is about 5m away from my M33 and I can now avoid the long and lossy transmission with a HUB. In general, however, surround is still a provisional solution for me, since I am waiting for an M18 ;)

I also checked the input levels (M33 digital VU meter) and found no differences between the digital inputs of the HUB and the M33.
At the analog inputs of the HUB it looked different and there I could see a level difference of -2dB (no matter if Phono or Analog In) at the digital VU of the M33.

Here is the test setup in remote operation with Ortofon OMP10 MM system:

bluesound hub phono.jpg

Last edited:

Blueisthecolour

Hi all. Anyone ever able to produce distortion issue with the subs off? Apologies for opening up an old beaten to death topic…I just bought this amp, so trying to figure out it’s limitations at this point. Coming from a Krell k-300i integrated and am overall very impressed — it holds up solidly when comparing it by itself (it working as a streamer, DAC, and amp) vs a setup with the Krell, a Directstream DAC, and an Auralic Aries streamer. Anyhow, I’m asking because I am able to reliably produce distortion on certain tracks (including some of the ones mentioned earlier on this thread) with subs and tone controls OFF when using the XLR analog inputs and PS audio DAC + Auralic streaming Roon (both with Dirac on and off). Limiting the headroom through DSP on Roon solves the problem — so does setting the input to -12 dB. So it appears the distortion issue can crop up even with the sub and tone controls off… Back to my original question, anyone else seeing this behavior or something similar? Thnks.

pogo

Major Contributor
Is it possible that you are clipping the analog XLR input?
Switch on the digital VU meter for this input and observe the level of the input signal.

vanwalsum

After a year of listening to my M33, I think I am missing some life in the music. Marantz always sounded to my likings, just as my old NAD D7050. Did anyone compared the M33 to a Marantz PM12-SE or Model 30? Maybe I want to try one of those combined with a node 2.

fcracer

Forum Donor
After a year of listening to my M33, I think I am missing some life in the music. Marantz always sounded to my likings, just as my old NAD D7050. Did anyone compared the M33 to a Marantz PM12-SE or Model 30? Maybe I want to try one of those combined with a node 2.
Perhaps you’re not missing some life, but rather some colouration of the music that you happen to prefer. I have not listened to or tested a Marantz, but I have tested quite a few amplifiers and have found the majority to sound the same. The differences being primarily in the noise floor, ability to play loud without clipping, and how much heat and energy they consume.

Taking that into consideration, the M33 does introduce a very significant potential to change the sound with Dirac. That may be a good place to start if the sound is not to your liking. I’ll admit that when I first ran Dirac, I thought the life had been sucked out of my music, but when I tested the before and after, it became readily apparent why. I had room modes hitting +20db at some points! Dirac shaved those down and once I became accustomed to the more balanced sound, I’d never go back to my mono bass setup pre-Dirac.

vanwalsum

Just got an update on the M33, that was a long time ago! But no changes for the M33 in the update u assume.

Blueisthecolour

Is it possible that you are clipping the analog XLR input?
Switch on the digital VU meter for this input and observe the level of the input signal.
Good thought. That was the issue. The input was clipping. Seems obvious now — never had that issue in the past with other analog pre-amps, so didn’t think of it. Thank you.

Stefano

Good morning, so i'm very interested in this M33 but before buy it i woul like to know if there are issues unit. I have to drive 2 main speakers, Magnepan 1.7 and two subwoofer. Other sources are a tuner and a turntable. I read in the past there was an issue with the sub out, and other problem, i want to figured out if all the big issues are solved or not, thank you.
Stef

vanwalsum

I just placed my M33 on another spot in the room and need to connect the unit by WiFi. No problem, works good. But someone tested if the sound quality degrades by using WiFi? M33 works fast and good for so.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just placed my M33 on another spot in the room and need to connect the unit by WiFi. No problem, works good. But someone tested if the sound quality degrades by using WiFi? M33 works fast and good for so.
It won't degrade. It may stutter and drop out if the signal isn't strong enough but no change to quality. It's more of a functional thing, it will work or not work.

Dr.Deaf

You can check the wifi signal strength in the bluos app via help then diagnostics if you experience drop outs .But if you have a good wifi router it should be no problem.

Last edited:
Top Bottom