• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

NAD M33 Streaming Amplifier Review

pogo

Major Contributor
The minidsp + hypex combo is $2k or thereabouts. You can add a wiim pro for 150.
Where can you find the measurements of the whole chain of this combo?

Marc v E

Major Contributor
You lose about 0.5db for every 10 db difference iirc. So the whole stack (105/106 and 110) would measure about as good as the purifi amp, so at 105 to 106 db sinad

pogo

Major Contributor
NAD has added a gain stage to increase its headroom so that it works better with the DSP circuits of its room-correction software and tone controls. NAD concedes that this slightly decreases the M33’s signal/noise ratio, but with careful design and premium parts, and because the Eigentakt’s S/N is so low to begin with, the noise is still inaudible.
Source: soundstagehifi.com

And what is the optimal adaptation with your proposed combos and where are the real measured values then?

Marc v E

Major Contributor
NAD has added a gain stage to increase its headroom so that it works better with the DSP circuits of its room-correction software and tone controls. NAD concedes that this slightly decreases the M33’s signal/noise ratio, but with careful design and premium parts, and because the Eigentakt’s S/N is so low to begin with, the noise is still inaudible.
Source: soundstagehifi.com

And what is the optimal adaptation with your proposed combos and where are the real measured values then?
Apparently NAD says they needed to decrease Sinad from about -108 to -93 for dsp purposes (eq) and a buffer stage.

Minidsp achieved the same dsp goal with -110db. Purify has their own buffer stage which can achieve -108db or thereabouts.

So imo NAD tried to do it and lost 15 db, making it less than what cd is capable of (96db).

pogo

Major Contributor
Minidsp achieved the same dsp goal with -110db.
Have you measured when Dirac Live has reserved its headroom and/or when tone controls have reserved their headroom?

Baki

Everybody has it's own preference for design...
Second to that.

I can still get an overall better sound from my highly modified cd player and diy amp with dual mono Hypex modules (!).

My only criticism is that Nad M33 is a combination of very expensive aluminum chunky and unnecessary remote control and some very cheap components in some critical places such as ordinary 317/337 extremely low cost voltage regulators in the preamp section of purify modules, low-fi computer ribbon cable connecting all the incoming signals to purify modules, low-fi connections on the way from purify modules to ordinary and not overly functional output terminals (at least for spades) etc.

For these and several other reasons I do not expect the sound you would get from separate components around the same price range. Hopefully one day I shall pay a pro to do certain upgrades on it.

Anyhow, I'll keep it because of my preferences:
  • It is highly integrated and therefore very simple to use - you just need speaker cables and voila :)
  • There must be some advantage in cables reduction;
  • There is an HDMI input. I do not prefer multi channel home cinema approach. I do not like to have the sound on top, behind me etc. when looking at the picture in front of me. Stereo is perfectly adequate to my needs.
  • I can quickly and easily switch from my stereo to home cinema setup via phone app. This assumes quick inclusion/exclusion of my two subwoofers which I am using only for home cinema purposes.
Last but not least - after one year I do not experience any of the issues mentioned in this thread.

It is dead quite and reliable.

Knock on wood.

Last edited:

Fritzenheimer

I just purchased a KEF KC62 subwoofer and need some guidance hooking it up and setting it up with my M33. Thank you for any help/tips.

Trondi

It really is a very special amp.

DL is a very special room correction technique.

Together they produce very special sonic experiences in my listening room.

The m33 basically allows the listener direct access to all the frequency range on the recording and provides 5 preset user defined equalisations. You can have as much or as little, of both room boom and/or hot tweeter effect as you want. Alternatively you can go for that elusive flat/ neutral response. You are in control.

This video is spot on in my book!

PikkieNoga

What are your thoughts on playing vinyl with the M33?

I can't find any specifications on the phono amp but I feel there is more "room" to explore with my Rega P3 and Exact cartridge. How good do you all find the phono that's onboard?

I know the M33 converts all analog inputs to a digital signal so there is ofcourse debate if you should play vinyl at all. Would an external phono stage help?

Marc v E

Major Contributor
@PikkieNoga : besides recommendations you can already get an idea if there can be an improvement by checking the specs of the m33 conversion vs the best measuring phono amp:

Thread 'Review and Measurements of Cambridge Audio Duo Phono Preamp' https://audiosciencereview.com/foru...nts-of-cambridge-audio-duo-phono-preamp.6901/

The cambridge duo has a 90db Sinad. Your M33 has a 93db Sinad adc conversion. Thus you will get slightly worse performance if you choose the best phono amp. Hope this helps.

Btw: if you haven't already done so, Dirac live and adding a sub would be worth exploring.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert

I can't find any specifications on the phono amp but I feel there is more "room" to explore with my Rega P3 and Exact cartridge. How good do you all find the phono that's onboard?

I know the M33 converts all analog inputs to a digital signal so there is ofcourse debate if you should play vinyl at all. Would an external phono stage help?
The internal phono stage is excellent. The only thing lacking is balanced phono in, but the vast majority of phono setups don't use that anyway.

Just to put things in perspective, the Johnson noise of a cartridge will limit dynamic range to 75dB or less even before touching the vinyl, so don't get too hung up on things like SINAD past a certain point.

Stefano

After few months i can say, if used with Dirac Full this can be a final solutions for most of HiFi guy in this world, now i use it as pre with my Accuphase A46 and this combo is amazing, but the A46 is on sale...

pogo

Major Contributor
Here is a short report about my pickup systems on the M33:
The AT 312 EP (MC) fits the M33 probably from the level optimally, since with loud records to almost 0dB is levelled.
All MM systems (Ortofon OMP10, Sony P33 & AT3474EP) are about 5-6dB quieter output, but can be compensated for me by the normal volume increase.
The best way to evaluate the level at the inputs is via the digital VU meter.

unexperienced

Hi, guys,

Why are the radiators black in some models and golden in others?

Sorry )

Attachments

• IMG_20230215_123127.jpg
    IMG_20230215_123127.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_20230215_123204.jpg
    IMG_20230215_123204.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Top Bottom