• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

24 Crazy-Ass Hi-Fi Systems

DanielT

Major Contributor
What do you think? How Crazy-Ass are they?:D

You can see them yourself in the link here:

Screenshot_2022-11-17_145802.jpg

These are my favorites. How they measure, sound, I have no idea. It is the look that is appealing! Good WAF....if you have a wife who likes cartoons.;)

y2020m07d15_crazy_ass_hi_fi_systems_06.jpg

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Lots of horn abuse going on there lol

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
All I see is a bunch of bored pensioners who really wanted something to do with their spare time.
I suspect they have other means than a pension, but I'll agree that 99% are probably old guys.

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
Lots of horn abuse going on there lol
That might be true, lol. BUT you also get tips on record players. Maybe not directly budget class, but if you have some money to spare, then:;)

The Triangle ART Turntable

Although not a complete system, we have to include a crazy-ass turntable as part of this list. This is the Triangle Art Ultimate Limited Edition turntable. It may not be the Goldmund Reference system, the world’s most expensive turntable at over a quarter of million bucks, but it is certainly one of the most indulgent and gaudy looking ones I have seen. Those who like having their Mercedes gold-plated may go for something like this.

y2020m07d15_crazy_ass_hi_fi_systems_04.jpg

I don't know what that record player costs but it screams expensive.o_O

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What is patently clear from looking at today’s exotic high-end hi-fi, is that horn speakers and tube (valve) amplifiers are back in fashion big time.

Well, I have horns, so I guess that makes me cool. But no tubes, which may subtract coolness points.

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor
I suspect they have other means than a pension, but I'll agree that 99% are probably old guys.
Depends if they still have an old Wife?
Going through the classifieds the other day (just cannot stop), came across a pair of Magico M5s for sale, if you’re interested £15,000? The size of them and the weight 360lbs each, try moving them around to get the best position.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That might be true, lol. BUT you also get tips on record players. Maybe not directly budget class, but if you have some money to spare, then:;)

Although not a complete system, we have to include a crazy-ass turntable as part of this list. This is the Triangle Art Ultimate Limited Edition turntable. It may not be the Goldmund Reference system, the world’s most expensive turntable at over a quarter of million bucks, but it is certainly one of the most indulgent and gaudy looking ones I have seen. Those who like having their Mercedes gold-plated may go for something like this.

View attachment 243972

Expensive? Oh yeah. But to this Amazon shopping pleb it looks like a prop from an old grade B sci-fi movie.

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
All I see is a bunch of bored pensioners who really wanted something to do with their spare time.

...Maybe they have more money than sense.;)

Those who spend this money on these solutions that is. But having said that some of that Crazy-Ass HiFi are probably great... maybe.. what do I know.:)

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

BeeKay

View attachment 243972

Russian oligarch style beauty level

JayGilb

Major Contributor

View attachment 243972

It screams tacky, exactly what I would expect from someone with too much money.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor
Maybe. But perhaps they get enjoyment from their goofy stuff.
Years ago two of use used to own and operate a disco, available for events etc. We used to play the goofy stuff, it was what the customers wanted. After a while we couldn’t take any more, usually when we were well into the happy hour. Both into Supertramp so the goofy stuff used to go back in the bag. For variety we weren’t cruel Mungo Jerry’s B sides used to go on. Ray Dorset giving it large on ‘Long Legged Woman Dressed in Black’, still a favourite. Didn’t stay in business for too long, we didn’t care good musical taste matters.

Last edited:
OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
I submit Ken Fritz's system from near my hometown

He liked line arrays before they were cool :cool:
He seems to be a clearly committed man. A man and his dream, and that's something I can really appreciate!:D

That commitment and not just being a Crazy-Ass rich person who just randomly buys some Crazy-Ass expensive HiFi.:oops:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
He seems to be a clearly committed man. A man and his dream, and that's something I can really appreciate!:D

That commitment and not just being a Crazy-Ass rich person who just randomly buys some Crazy-Ass expensive HiFi.:oops:

Yes; for better or worse us speaker DIY guys are in our own special class.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

View attachment 243972

Even the insides of the Goldmund look nicer than that monstrosity...

OP
DanielT

DanielT

Major Contributor
It screams tacky, exactly what I would expect from someone with too much money.
Take a regular cheap record player, then some tin cans. Spray them with gold paint. Place them around your turntable. In terms of sound, it doesn't matter, but you get close to that expensive vulgarity you're talking about, lol. :D..:oops:o_O
Screenshot_2022-11-17_153756.jpg
hqdefault.jpg

y2020m07d15_crazy_ass_hi_fi_systems_04 (1).jpg

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor
What is patently clear from looking at today’s exotic high-end hi-fi, is that horn speakers and tube (valve) amplifiers are back in fashion big time.

Well, I have horns, so I guess that makes me cool. But no tubes, which may subtract coolness points.
Always thought horn speakers performed best with low power class A amps?

Top Bottom