• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Denon AVR-X3800H Review

Rate this AVR

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 83 18.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 209 47.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 120 27.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 32 7.2%

• Total voters

Webninja

Forum Donor
I will certainly wait for the firmware update for Dirac before even considering one of these. That would be my only reason to switch from my 3700.

Vovgan

Forum Donor
??? I already showed SINAD up to 2 volts:

index.php

Are you asking for something else?
Sorry, my bad! Misread the graph. So with the amps shut off there is no precipitous drop after 1.4v, but the SINAD is truly 10 dB down even for lower volumes! Ahh …
Thank you!

Hobolicious

Denon had been my "goto" recommendation for AVRs and even AVPs. When anyone asked me about either, I would just say "get a Denon AVR." While subjectively the performance of this new generation may be similar, I can't accept the regression in objective measured performance.

It is with much sadness that I cannot recommend the Denon AVR-X3800H.
Out of curiousty, if you are not recommending the X3800H, what would be your current recommendations in the same price bracket (disregarding the X3700H seeing the last batches of it likely will have the same DACs as the X3800H) that can do upwards of 7.4.4/5.4.6 (with 2ch power amplifier)?

SupremeAV

And this got a 5 star review on What HiFi

They quote:

"Streaming SBTRKT’s Trials Of The Past, the AVC-X3800H delivers a surprisingly nuanced musical performance with an assured attack at the start of each synth note and the envelope of each reverb tail given space to breathe. The hefty bass is solidly controlled, while at the top end of the spectrum, the shakers are nicely defined and spread wide"

:facepalm:
Well I'm pretty sure they dont test to this level. They do audio test in the real world and I'd bet no one on this board can hear the difference. Not to knock on the science aspect of it but if the difference is inaudible who really cares?

Bleib

Major Contributor
A bit sad about the regression in performance, would be very curious to see how the cheapest Denon AVRs measure.

BenchZowner

And this got a 5 star review on What HiFi

They quote:

"Streaming SBTRKT’s Trials Of The Past, the AVC-X3800H delivers a surprisingly nuanced musical performance with an assured attack at the start of each synth note and the envelope of each reverb tail given space to breathe. The hefty bass is solidly controlled, while at the top end of the spectrum, the shakers are nicely defined and spread wide"

:facepalm:
If What Hi-Fi doesn't hand out 5 star reviews they'll cease to exist :D

Marc v E

Major Contributor
Well, at least they finally removed the component video inputs and output.

I've written on this before, but these products are just too complex for a company to truly test and optimize the designs when they have nearly a dozen new models coming out each year. They have to be taking shortcuts in testing and optimizing design and layout.
They can do it if they automate the testing process ime. (It wouldn't be that difficult either imo and could be set up and maintained by a small team)

It's what I do in software development. The fact that Amir can test the unit by himself tells me it could be done by Denon too.

Last edited:

Vacceo

Major Contributor
They can do it if they automate the testing process ime. (It wouldn't be that difficult either imo and could be set up and maintained by a small team)
I am sure they have a mold. I'm quite confident those words are the same for a Pass Labs or Acuphase stereo amp.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Expected results, just mediocracy. These AVRs are like vanilla: nothing to get excited about, nothing to get angry about. They just "are".

Marc v E

Major Contributor
Expected results, just mediocracy. These AVRs are like vanilla: nothing to get excited about, nothing to get angry about. They just "are".
Agreed. Still makes me wonder, though, why there isn't a avr preprocessor that measures very well. Or a high end branch from Denon or Sony etc that produces a few high performance products like AMG for mercedes.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Agreed. Still makes me wonder, though, why there isn't a avr preprocessor that measures very well. Or a high end branch from Denon or Sony etc that produces a few high performance products like AMG for mercedes.
Supposedly that what Marantz is to Denon.

On products like these I always wonder how hard is (and how expensive does it get) to create a "cleaner" product. Sure, It cannot reach perfect transparency just yet due to DSP's, but there is ample room for improvement (as Anthem showed).

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

This is a downer from the previous version. No doubt. Price is raised by $500.oo... that's about a 23% increase... What are the gains? Nothing really ... A bummer..
A good way for a company to NOT endear its current and potential customers.
The usual suspects got stale, fat and/or complacent. Market opportunities? Waiting for the people at Topping , SMSL , et al to upend this market segment.

Peace.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Hi

This is a downer from the previous version. No doubt. Price is raised by $500.oo... that's about a 23% increase... What are the gains? Nothing really ... A bummer..
A good way for a company to NOT endear its current and potential customers.
The usual suspects got stale, fat and/or complacent. Market opportunities? Waiting for the people at Topping , SMSL , et al to upend this market segment.

Peace.
My guess is that manufacturers like Topping may have issues with licenses from Dolby or DTS. Basically because they have the capacity to produce avr's just like they produce amps or DACs.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Denon!! you fool. There's $100 DAC's/Amps that perform better than this. AVR's are seriously becoming a joke and inching closer to snake oil territory for their claims.

Top Bottom