• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Electronics for Audiophiles: Voltage and Current (Video)

Lambda

Major Contributor
Another way to look at this is to note that voltage is defined across two terminals.
No voltage can be absolute
things can have absolute electric charge.

High School kids, Physical Therapists local grocery managers and on and on. They have zero knowledge except they know you plug something in and it uses electricity somehow to work.
Don't they had Physics in school?

haen

Don't they had Physics in school?
Did you learn (more) by reading/being taught about something or by trying to apply what you learn in practice?

I was taught physics, biology, chemistry etc., hell, as I mentioned earlier the high school I attended was such that we should be somehow prepared to pursue EE carrier. It didn't matter much when I didn't put that theoretical knowledge into a practice use. I may regret now that it panned out that way, even if only to show some cool stuff to my kids and maybe get them interested (I'm sort of jealous in regards to possibilities that (most of) kids have access to in Europe/US/Canada/Australia/etc.) Anyway, I imagine that how it works for many/most of people...

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Did you learn (more) by reading/being taught about something or by trying to apply what you learn in practice?

I was taught physics, biology, chemistry etc., hell, as I mentioned earlier the high school I attended was such that we should be somehow prepared to pursue EE carrier. It didn't matter much when I didn't put that theoretical knowledge into a practice use. I may regret now that it panned out that way, even if only to show some cool stuff to my kids and maybe get them interested (I'm sort of jealous in regards to possibilities that (most of) kids have access to in Europe/US/Canada/Australia/etc.) Anyway, I imagine that how it works for many/most of people...
This is what we are taught today.

Lambda

Major Contributor
FLzZFAWXsAMlO6q.jpg

Attachments

• 1659265793745.jpeg
    1659265793745.jpeg
    9.2 KB · Views: 41

haen

This is what we are taught today.
Well, I never know if such videos or true or fake, or what is percentage of good answers (not shown here) to wrong answers. It is just anecdata at this point. And I'm pretty sure that similar video could be recorded about previous generations. Anyway, it is those previous generations that were responsible for rising the current one, so they should not feel so smug about themselves. ;-)

Anyway, I admire the poker face of the guy asking the questions.

Avamander

I have to ask, so your high school did not conduct any practical lessons? Is it a rare thing in the States or just the school you went to?

JDS

Amir:

Thanks for this -- I knew most of it but it is still a good refresher. Years ago I built a pair of modified Dyna MkII tube amps (with lots of extra joules of storage because, well, more is better) and somehow managed not to kill myself even though I had no idea what I was doing.

One thing that I'd love to understand but probably wouldn't belong in this basic explainer: you said (more or less) that all of the devices of interest in audio work in voltage amplification mode. There are a small number of (moving coil) phono sections out there now that claim to operate as transimpedence or current mode devices. I can't quite get my arms around how that works, why it might be advantageous, how it plays nice with other voltage source components, etc.

It might not appeal to many of your followers, but just thought I'd mention it.

MCH

Major Contributor
@amirm i think a good continuation would be a video about gain, attenuation and power.

These are important concepts in audio that i learned reading the forum and that i see many people get wrong or mix.
You kind of touched them in this video but i believe they deserve a full explanation.

tomchris

@amirm Great introduction covering amplifier basics :)

I am hoping for future subjects such as troubleshooting grounding issues between devices using power cords, interconnects and USB cables.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice, it's good to have these educational videos, means readers can be sure they have some of the basics to get more out of the reviews and the discussions of various tested products. The second half of this video was more useful to me (and probably to most readers). The videos can also be used as future links in discussions by forum members if people need something explained in a discussion, rather than having to reinvent the wheel by composing a possibly long & complicated post.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Well, I never know if such videos or true or fake, or what is percentage of good answers (not shown here) to wrong answers. It is just anecdata at this point. And I'm pretty sure that similar video could be recorded about previous generations. Anyway, it is those previous generations that were responsible for rising the current one, so they should not feel so smug about themselves. ;-)

Anyway, I admire the poker face of the guy asking the questions.
This guys poker face is amazing. I agree that some previous generations likely could have had the same videos made about them; however I don't think the general lack of basic knowledge was a widespread as it is today. I mean these people cannot do basic math, don't understand basic concepts and literally don't know where they even are.
Thank you for the video. It has brightened my day and now I understand how cable risers became a thing.
Glad you enjoyed it! I happened upon it last night after having never watched this channel before.

Lambda

Major Contributor
I mean these people cannot do basic math, don't understand basic concepts and literally don't know where they even are.
But can you name 5 non binary genders?, can you do the floss dance? do you get Simp money?
Maybe we shuld stop the low ball boomer vs. gen-z humor.

Education and knowledge is as easily and freely available like never before in history but somehow that's not making "us" smarter

Jimster480

Major Contributor
But can you name 5 non binary genders?, can you do the floss dance? do you get Simp money?
Maybe we shuld stop the low ball boomer vs. gen-z humor.

Education and knowledge is as easily and freely available like never before in history but somehow that's not making "us" smarter
Unfortunately this is because people are too lost with nonsense. The average person is overwhelmed with the plethora of YT, Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and other social sites constant posts and "content". If you follow many Youtubers as I do; you cannot watch even 20% of what they put out.... so it is easy to go into a bubble and do nothing.

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
3x3x3=36? I’m putting more into my 401k and not counting on Gen Z help. :)

fredstuhl

I am starting a new educational series on simple but essential engineering concepts/lingo we use in discussing audio products. This is the introductory video on voltage, current and power supplies:

Please give feedback as to whether you find this type of video useful and I will make more of them.

Thanks.
Very helpful, please more of this!

Top Bottom