• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sabaj A30a announced

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Certainly it would be convenient if an equalizer function like RME ADI-2 FS was built in. However, I don't know if it is possible to incorporate a high-performance EQ into the AXIGN AX5689 chip due to lack of detailed IC data.
According to this:
index.php

The DSP is separate, but that might just be a functional representation, not a logical one. Besides, for all of these EQ presets, you'll need a few biquad as well. So you don't really need many more resources.

@peterwen, what's the DSP chip is used?

maty

Major Contributor
Certainly it would be convenient if an equalizer function like RME ADI-2 FS was built in. However, I don't know if it is possible to incorporate a high-performance EQ into the AXIGN AX5689 chip due to lack of detailed IC data...
Can you check if the device always plays in 16/44.1, please?

On both of my audio systems I can easily tell the difference between 16/44 and 24/96 with quality recordings and good dynamic range.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Can you check if the device always plays in 16/44.1, please?

On both of my audio systems I can easily tell the difference between 16/44 and 24/96 with quality recordings and good dynamic range.

What would be the justification to be able to 'receive' USB : PCM up to 32bit 768kHz, DSD up to DSD512 and then resample all of that (including DSD) to 44.1/16 and then pass that into a switching amp.
Of course most switching amps have a rather limited frequency response anyway and it seems the AX5688 is limited to 40kHz BW.
Most (not all) switching amps drop before that though.
It appears to be a Dutch company (axign) so could potentially ask them.

wyup

I did notice something odd. This integrated amplifier is meant to be used together with Sabaj A20d dac/headphone amp, which have the same design, dimensions and menu. But A30a have only unbalanced RCA inputs, not XLR's. Why on earth you have a dac with balanced 4 volts outputs and at the same time there is no balanced inputs on the A30a?! It makes no sense at all.
Exactly! And also why would both have USB dac inputs? They're not that meant to be together. Dac is dac and amp is amp. We need balanced inputs on A30a to get best performance. Or maybe A30a dac is the same quality? Because the amp works digitally..

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It also have a fan, but it only spins when the power is turned on,The fan spins for about a second
Why do you have a fan then if it only spins a second and when the device is cold

MCH

Major Contributor
Actually, with this new breed of desktop amps with digital inputs and dsp, it would make sense that the accompaining headphone amps would have digital passthrough...

Ducnguyen2k10

I’ve already place order for Sabaj A30a and will got it on my hand in the next 4 weeks! I will do listening review comparing with SMSL DA19 and SMSL AD18 I have been using recently!

Toku

Major Contributor
According to this:
index.php

The DSP is separate, but that might just be a functional representation, not a logical one. Besides, for all of these EQ presets, you'll need a few biquad as well. So you don't really need many more resources.

@peterwen, what's the DSP chip is used?
You can imagine the internal configuration from this block diagram, but how it works is a complete black box. SMSL does not disclose any information about these.

PeterOo

You can imagine the internal configuration from this block diagram, but how it works is a complete black box. SMSL does not disclose any information about these.
Have you read the information on the Axign controller that @maty posted?
It is pretty thorough
What information do you miss?

m8kbv

Hello gentlemen, I am new here. :) Sorry to ask here while deviating from the main thread.
I am tempted by this Sabaj a30a. I am looking for a successor to the Onkyo 8270 in combination with Heco Aurora 700 speakers.
Do you think the Sabaj a30a would drive these speakers without a problem? I know that without Sabaj tests, it's "telling from a bullet". Do you have better suggestions in a reasonable price range (~800$)? Dac+ Amplifier for these speakers, or preferably a dac built into the amplifier like the Sabaj a30:)

Last edited:

pickyAudiophile

Hello gentlemen, I am new here. :) Sorry to ask here while deviating from the main thread.
I am tempted by this Sabaj a30a. I am looking for a successor to the Onkyo 8270 in combination with Heco Aurora 700 speakers.
Do you think the Sabaj a30a would drive these speakers without a problem? I know that without Sabaj tests, it's "telling from a bullet". Do you have better suggestions in a reasonable price range (~800$)? Dac+ Amplifier for these speakers, or preferably a dac built into the amplifier like the Sabaj a30:)
It would drive these speakers effortlessly, that's for sure. Even more so if there is no quality DAC available you possess already, this could be a reasonable choice.

m8kbv

It would drive these speakers effortlessly, that's for sure. Even more if there is no quality DAC available you possess already this could be a reasonable choice.
Do you think it is worth taking it "in the dark" When there are no tests yet? I don't think Sabaj has ever made a "bad" amplifier.
Are there any more interesting alternatives in the amount up to $800?

pickyAudiophile

Do you think it is worth taking it "in the dark" When there are no tests yet? I don't think Sabaj has ever made a "bad" amplifier.
Are there any more interesting alternatives in the amount up to $800?
From an "audioscientific" perspective there won't be a lot of alternatives, as we expect decent+ measurements from that device. These Auroras, don't get me wrong, won't be able to reveal the tiniest differences between different kind of quality gear. Sonically it should be a huge step forward upgrading from your Onkyo.

Top Bottom