• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sabaj A30a announced

Toku

Major Contributor
Currently owning Topping PA3s and waiting for SMSL AO200 to come. Will it give better audio quality? And also will 2xA300 provide better SQ than AO200?
This is an A30a forum, so I can't say much.
The reason I buy many Chinese products is due to my technical interests.
You can definitely feel the change in sound quality when upgrading from PA3 to AO200. My preference is AO200 except for the size of the amp.

When comparing the A300's BTL monaural connection with the AO200, the power margin affects the sound quality. I feel the low-end growth and the increase in energy. But even with one A300, you can enjoy the difference in sound quality from the AO200.
I don't say much because the judgment of which sound quality is better depends on the individual. Both the AO200 and A300 use the same Infineon amp chips, so the sound tendencies are similar. If I buy an additional A300, I don't think I'll regret it.

Right now my biggest concern is A30a.

OP
P

peterwen

Audio Company
From what I can see this amplifier only has a LP filter on the subwoofer output but not a matching HP on the main output. What is the use of that? Doesn't Chinese manufacturers realise that all active subwoofers have a LP filter on them? Has anyone seen an active subwoofer that has no LP filter? Or, is that a speciality on the Chinese market.

Or have the Chinese audio engineers collectively lost their mind?
We know that there is an LPF in the active subwoofer, but not all the LPF in the active subwoofer is good enough to remove the voice, so many people ask us to add LPF, and some even hope to use a common amplifier to drive his own Passive subwoofer. Also, all of our subwoofer outputs actually have HPF, but it's just a simple RC network that filters audio down around 10Hz.

OP
P

peterwen

Audio Company
The A30a uses DSP processing, its bass management itself has frequency settings, and cannot be bypassed, and the A30a's DSP has HPF!

OP
P

peterwen

Audio Company
Hello peterwen. Thanks for posting. I have a question: is the sub low pass complemented with a high pass filter for the mains?. If yes, is the high pass frequency adjustable like the sub cut out frequency?
Thanks!
It has a special algorithm to manage the bass, not just mix the signal

OP
P

peterwen

Audio Company
Hello peterwen. Thanks for posting. I have a question: is the sub low pass complemented with a high pass filter for the mains?. If yes, is the high pass frequency adjustable like the sub cut out frequency?
Thanks!
What it can achieve is: the subwoofer enters the sub, the main channel can be selected as small speaker/large speaker, we currently choose large, because this way when it is measured, the frequency response is better

SiamXIII

This is an A30a forum, so I can't say much.
The reason I buy many Chinese products is due to my technical interests.
You can definitely feel the change in sound quality when upgrading from PA3 to AO200. My preference is AO200 except for the size of the amp.

When comparing the A300's BTL monaural connection with the AO200, the power margin affects the sound quality. I feel the low-end growth and the increase in energy. But even with one A300, you can enjoy the difference in sound quality from the AO200.
I don't say much because the judgment of which sound quality is better depends on the individual. Both the AO200 and A300 use the same Infineon amp chips, so the sound tendencies are similar. If I buy an additional A300, I don't think I'll regret it.

Right now my biggest concern is A30a.
A30a sure looks interesting, but why there is a dac? I don't want to pay extra for it, as I already own superb standalone D300.

tom_tom

A30a sure looks interesting, but why there is a dac? I don't want to pay extra for it, as I already own superb standalone D300.
Then SMSL A300 is perfect choice for You to have a nice stack. A30a is a different product from a different brand.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sub cutoff's frequency should mean the Main output's HP.

Or you are the smartest engineer?
Not "mean", "be". Do please read what I wrote and avoid sarcasm. It doesn't shine a good light on you.

OP
P

peterwen

Audio Company
Sabaj A30a is not a dac, there is the digital amp that used the PFFB technology.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
We know that there is an LPF in the active subwoofer, but not all the LPF in the active subwoofer is good enough to remove the voice,
Please clarify what is not good enough? I like to communicate with a manufacturer using objective values instead of subjective adjectives like "good enough" which has no solid meaning.

Every active sub has at least a 2nd order LP filter. Say it is set to 80Hz, the signal will be -24dB at 320Hz. Is that not "good enough to remove the voice." If the LP is 4th order you will have that attenuation at 160Hz.

so many people ask us to add LPF, and some even hope to use a common amplifier to drive his own Passive subwoofer.
As a manufacturer I am surprised that you don't have any understanding of how a crossover works. As the name "cross" suggests the Low and high pass curves cross at the same frequency, i.e. they should be the same. (I will not offend you to add a link for reference.) Besides, what is the point of listening the public on an engineering matter? That is not diligent manufacturing.

Also, all of our subwoofer outputs actually have HPF, but it's just a simple RC network that filters audio down around 10Hz.
That is a filter outside the audio band. Why are you even giving this as an example for a subwoofer crossover?

I have a question: You represent an audio equipment manufacturer but do you have an understanding of how filters work, what makes a crossover? If you are a marketing/PR person I should not take your time to discuss, instead you may pass my posts to your engineers for answers.

Last edited:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What it can achieve is: the subwoofer enters the sub, the main channel can be selected as small speaker/large speaker, we currently choose large, because this way when it is measured, the frequency response is better
What are the FR of the amplifier when small or large selected?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It has a special algorithm to manage the bass, not just mix the signal
Eh? The member asked you if there is a crossover on the unit. It is the same question I asked.

Zek

Major Contributor
Sabaj A30a is not a dac
Maybe it's a power DAC.
crazyrocker.gif

ModDIY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I have an idea that the DAC input uses that of the Qualcomm APTX. It's practical but not the best either. On TRUE DACs with Qualcomm Bluetooth, the signal is processed at the output by a dedicated DAC of better quality.

My two pennies

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Axign amplifier controller chip the A30a uses works in the digital domain. It's "normal" input is digital. It has 8 channels of ADC, some of which can be repurposed (from digitizing the outputs for feeding back to the digital control loops) as ADC for analog inputs -- i.e. all analog inputs have to be digitized for amplification.

Axign1.png

Axign2.png

maty

Major Contributor
I think they are the almost same... INSIDE

SMSL VMV A2 Review (Stereo Amplifier & DAC)

Top Bottom