• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

Turambar

Darko compares another wireless streamer to WiiM Mini

Has digital coax output and Chromecast built-in up to 24/96k
I guess when he is talking about the superior sound quality of the Argon over the WiiM, he is discussing his (subjective) impression on the analog output, but he is not extending that opinion to the bit perfect digital output.

In any case, personally I have zero interest in Air Play 2 and Spotify Connect. However, not having Qobuz integrated, Tidal Connect or Amazon HD, is a no no from my side.

gocubs42

Did I read or does anyone know Wiim will have a product out with ethernet access.? Or am I starting an urban myth!!!!

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
Did I read or does anyone know Wiim will have a product out with ethernet access.? Or am I starting an urban myth!!!!
The KEiiD was an early version with Linkplay’s A31 module. It didn’t test well, but had great I/O options. I don’t know how well it sold, but the new Linkplay hardware and firmware in that case would be a killer product.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Wiim pro??

Simply email WiiM and they will tell you :)

Their website already mentions new hardware coming anyway (on a few FAQ pages), so it's hardly a surprise.

They told me WiiM Pro, but the name is not important right?

It will have ethernet RJ45 port (which is the post I was replying to).

Will have Chromecast input also !

Smartplug

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Simply email WiiM and they will tell you :)

Their website already mentions new hardware coming anyway (on a few FAQ pages), so it's hardly a surprise.

They told me WiiM Pro, but the name is not important right?

It will have ethernet RJ45 port (which is the post I was replying to).

Will have Chromecast input also !

If it comes out and carry the features on regular wiim, I will purchase it right away. It will be great if it has all digital out like coax, toslink and usb plus Ethernet. Wiim will rendered all other streamer irrelevant.

AyGee

Is it correct, that with the latest official firmware 4.6.421831 Amazon UHD casting is not possible?

I am on the beta 4.6.421358, which can do Amazon UHD via casting.
So I think it is better not to ask to be removed from beta list.

Brantome

Major Contributor
Is it correct, that with the latest official firmware 4.6.421831 Amazon UHD casting is not possible?

Yes I believe that is correct

AKR

What is two way Bluetooth that WiiM says will be enabled later this month. Does it mean audio received by WiiM over Wifi can be transmitted out on Bluetooth?
I have Bluetooth only speakers on a patio that I would prefer to be able to utilize using music streaming over Wifi.

Smartplug

I also notice some changes on their website. What’s new now it show roadmap. There also changes on faq where it show progress.

AyGee

What is two way Bluetooth that WiiM says will be enabled later this month. Does it mean audio received by WiiM over Wifi can be transmitted out on Bluetooth?
I have Bluetooth only speakers on a patio that I would prefer to be able to utilize using music streaming over Wifi.
I would say yes:

Reactions: AKR

Smartplug

I was beta tester now just regular. Under beta testing, you get more features than what is currently release. Amazon hd works on both wiim app and amazon app. Tidal master works on both app.

Smartplug

The other popular streamer are stream and node. What these streamer does have that wiim don’t? They have powerful hardware plus multiple digital out. But do those features cost 500 dollars more? Wiim may not have powerful hardware but it’s superior software and firmware made this unit to be recon with. Powerful hardware is useless unless there’s superior software that can utilize them.

diggida

Hey all!

Long time lurker, great site!

Just got a WiiM to stream to my old 70s hifi rig. Works great, really dig it.

I have a projector for movies and am trying to figure out a way to get the audio from the projector to the WiiM. I use a chrome cast to send video to the projector and typically use Netflix or whatever on my iPhone to set up the stream. I’ve tried to figure out if I can send video to one destination and audio to any other, but so far no dice. Would a second WiiM on the projector solve this problem? I’ve looked a bit at other Bluetooth transmitters to hook up to the analog out of the projector, which might work, but Im concerned about latency.

Any thoughts or advice on how to make this work is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

AKR

The other popular streamer are stream and node. What these streamer does have that wiim don’t? They have powerful hardware plus multiple digital out. But do those features cost 500 dollars more? Wiim may not have powerful hardware but it’s superior software and firmware made this unit to be recon with. Powerful hardware is useless unless there’s superior software that can utilize them.
The correct comparison is Wiim outputting on toslink to external DAC vs Node with built in DAC. I doubt very much if Node & other more expensive units will sound better than WiiM provided a good DAC is involved. Then it boils down to things like Tidal full mqa decode, roon support etc vs Amazon hi res that WiiM does/ will soon do.

Smartplug

The correct comparison is Wiim outputting on toslink to external DAC vs Node with built in DAC. I doubt very much if Node & other more expensive units will sound better than WiiM provided a good DAC is involved. Then it boils down to things like Tidal full mqa decode, roon support etc vs Amazon hi res that WiiM does/ will soon do.
I’m excited if there’s wiim pro that will get release. I will buy it in an instant as long the features already on wiim will be there plus additional features like chromecast.

Witterings

Hey all!

Long time lurker, great site!

Just got a WiiM to stream to my old 70s hifi rig. Works great, really dig it.

I have a projector for movies and am trying to figure out a way to get the audio from the projector to the WiiM. I use a chrome cast to send video to the projector and typically use Netflix or whatever on my iPhone to set up the stream. I’ve tried to figure out if I can send video to one destination and audio to any other, but so far no dice. Would a second WiiM on the projector solve this problem? I’ve looked a bit at other Bluetooth transmitters to hook up to the analog out of the projector, which might work, but Im concerned about latency.

Any thoughts or advice on how to make this work is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

I can see how else you could acheive it, you can buy audio / video splitters but that's not going to give you anything different to the projectors analogue out, if you do go bluetooth transmitter get an APTX one as the reduce latency.

Smartplug

My setup is different from most. Wiim digital out to optical splitter with 3 out. 3 dacs connected including multibit, ess and akm. Each dac has different sound personality. I just switch input on preamp to listen to each.

AKR

If you are waiting for a WiiM with built in DAC I very much doubt that will occur. If a WiiM with chromcast support that does not require a pro, only WiiM implementing it, which again I doubt as it’s a low priority in terms of overall user base.

Top Bottom