• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEiiD KD-W01 Streaming DAC

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a review and detailed measurements of the KEiiD KD-W01 streaming DAC and Bluetooth receiver. It was kindly purchased and drop shipped to me by a member. It costs only $69 from Amazon including Prime shipping.

I must say, as super budget products go, the look of this little streamer is not bad:

KEiid KD-W01 Wireless Stereo Receiver Streamer Audio Review.jpg

There is a remote control that I did not use. The M button selects between networking (wired or wireless), Bluetooth or Aux analog input:

KEiid KD-W01 Wireless Stereo Receiver Streamer Back panel input ethernet wifi SPDIF Toslink Au...jpg

The regulator tag is taped on the supplied USB adapter which makes it suspect as far as passing such a test. Fortunately you can use its cord with a more trusted option (from your favorite phone manufacturer).

For testing, the only option I had to talk to it over the network was Airplay. Airplay has a limit of 16 bits which limits SINAD to 96 dB. I was worried about this but as you will say, there was no reason to feel this way.

Streaming DAC Audio Measurements
I streamed a 24-bit, reference 1 kHz tone using Roon player via Airplay to KD-W01:

KEiid KD-W01 Wireless Stereo Receiver Streamer Audio Measurements.png

First hurdle was that I could not get the volume control above 0.9 volt. We like to see nominal 2 volt output from any stand-alone DAC. The bigger issue was the high distortion though limiting SINAD (sum of distortion and noise) to just 75 dB. This firmly situates the KD-W01 in "poor" ranking of all DACs tested:
Best Streaming DAC Review 2020.png

So I thought I hook up an external DAC such as Schiit Modius to it and see if it improves performance. To my surprise, it didn't do much good:

KEiid KD-W01 Wireless Stereo Receiver Streamer through Schiit Modius Audio Measurements.png

We could go higher in volume but distortion is quite high as is noise. It seems both of those are baked into the stream seeing how the volume control still works with S/PDIF output.

This is how the Modius performs with any Audio Analyzer S/PDIF feeding it:

Schiit Modius USB DAC Measurements.png

An entirely different class of performance there.

Lastly I decided to analyze the performance of S/PDIF by itself:

KEiid KD-W01 Wireless Stereo Receiver Streamer Jitter Audio Measurements.png

As you see in orange, the KD-W01 streamer spits out tons of jitter and noise by itself. Such was the case even if I was not playing anything!

Conclusions
The KEiiD KD-W01 is priced well for a streamer with good functionality and decent looks. Alas, for us anal audiophiles, we want performance and design excellence -booth of which are missing from it.

Needless to say, I can't recommend the KD-W01.

-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

My wife is out until tomorrow so I thought I throw a wild party. Then I realized a) there is a pandemic going on and b) I don't have the money for it. I can't do anything about the former but for the latter, I thought I remedy that by ask you all to donate what you can using : https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Pity - could have been a nice addition to an amp with integrated DAC, using its SPDIF out. How could one possibly mess up digital output that much?

3125b

Major Contributor
Not even a clean optical output.
Overall performance seems to be good enough though to not upset people, according to the Amazon reviews.
Ammmm...?! :D
You don't wanna know, and neither do I :)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Given how good the Chromecast Audio was at doing basically what this does, and how that was priced this is disappointing to say the least. Maybe I am naive but there must be a market for a cheap "thing" than can simply bridge ethernet/ wifi into SPDIF that works bit perfect without jitter and other crap coming through. That isnt a Pi.

SKBubba

Given how good the Chromecast Audio was at doing basically what this does, and how that was priced this is disappointing to say the least. Maybe I am naive but there must be a market for a cheap "thing" than can simply bridge ethernet/ wifi into SPDIF that works bit perfect without jitter and other crap coming through. That isnt a Pi.

You would think. But lack of a standard protocol is the obstacle. You have Airplay, DLNA, Play-Fi, Chromecast (can that be licensed?), and propriety stuff like Heos, MusicCast, RAAT, Sonos, etc. None of them talk to each other and some don't even talk to themselves reliably.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You would think. But lack of a standard protocol is the obstacle. You have Airplay, DLNA, Play-Fi, Chromecast (can that be licensed?), and propriety stuff like Heos, MusicCast, RAAT, Sonos, etc. None of them talk to each other and some don't even talk to themselves reliably.
Good point- so you can see why they went with airplay.

In fairness- for what I had in mind- streaming from one of the services via phone, Airplay AND chromecast (yes, can be licensed- presume at a fair cost) would cover basically all the phones

Timbo2

Mi Box is $50. According to the user guide the 3.5mm jack is both analog and SPDIF. You also have HDMI of course.

https://i01.appmifile.com/webfile/globalimg/Global_UG/Mi_Ecosystem/Mi_Box/en_V1.pdf.

I run an Nvidia Shield TV via HDMI. Love it, but it is a much more expensive solution with much better support of course! And unfortunately for many here no other way to get output other than HDMI.

PeteL

Major Contributor
So why would they go LAN and WiFi and not USB?
I would think because there is enough USB DACs on the market? Maybe because You can travel only 16 feet with USB? and not everybody like to get up and step to their computer to change song? Those reason are the first that comes to mind.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
Why not a Pi? Because it's DIY? I'd bet that a Pi Zero with HiFiBerry DAC+ Zero would easily outperform the KD-W01.

peanuts

what goes on in there for it to butcher the modius, is it just about noise/jitter? if so this is an amazing example of what a bad source can do to your sound.

Last edited:

PeteL

Major Contributor
I know I sound like a broken record, but people want cheap AND good it doesn't work like that unfortunately. USB DACS are cheap why, simply because they have been around for 20 years and USB is everywhere. DACS in general are cheap, simply because every single person in the entire industrialized world and has at least a few dacs chips somewhere that they use. Network streaming, not so much, not yet, developpment cost are many order of magnitudes higher, there are licensing considerations as mentioned, etc. Yes, google did it for cheap, how? because GOOGLE. And we all have to remind ourselves that WE are the odd ones that care about jitter and bit perfection... Bluetooth is more than good enough for 99.9% of the music listeners.

Top Bottom