• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

Brantome

Major Contributor
(Latest)
Release date:
6 / 30 / 2022
This update involves the following:
  • Fixed - WiFi disconnection when the device is idle for a day and using S/PDIF output
  • Fixed - Inability to resume playback in the TIDAL Connect when pausing for more than 2 hours
  • Fixed - Track is skipped occasionally when playing AMHD from WiiM app
  • Fixed - Only 4-5 tracks are played repeatedly when playing Amazon Music station from the WiiM app
  • Fixed - Shuffle playback for Amazon Music

jmtocali

Not in the release notes, but I can confirm that when you stream to several Wiim endpoints in multiroom, now allows Hires (before was limited to 16/48).

Screenshot_20220702-090342.png

Brantome

Major Contributor
Not in the release notes, but I can confirm that when you stream to several Wiim endpoints in multiroom, now allows Hires (before was limited to 16/48).

Thanks for confirming that. I guess when you include a run of the mill Amazon Echo (if you have one) rather than a couple of WiiM Minis, that drops to 16/48 at best?

Brantome

Major Contributor
And for clarification, are you using Alexa multi rooming or the Wiim app's function?

Smartplug

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I’m surprised to find out the internal dac of wiim was natural and incredibly realistic. I have been using external dac with both ess and akm. Wiim surprising held its own.

Merifon

Wiim surprising held its own.
now even the electronics of cheap DACs have reached good levels, including instrumental ones.
Furthermore, I believe that if Amirm had measured the analog output at 1v and not at 2 as default, the measurements would have been even better.

fquails

I’m surprised to find out the internal dac of wiim was natural and incredibly realistic. I have been using external dac with both ess and akm. Wiim surprising held its own.
I agree wholeheartedly. Especially in the higher frequencies—they sound more life like.

fquails

View attachment 216070
Unfortunately, when streaming Hi-Res files from a DLNA server to multiple Wiims, playback is still limited to 16/48

Attachments

• D38C0E8C-6B2B-418B-AEBE-CCC647F8F6DA.jpeg
    D38C0E8C-6B2B-418B-AEBE-CCC647F8F6DA.jpeg
    138.4 KB · Views: 42

Merifon

No UHD casting from Amazon app in this release.
casting from the amazon app has now become like the holy grail... ;-)
Very pragmatically, after evaluating what Tidal HiFi offers, such as (acceptable) quality and user experience, both at home and in the car, I think I will hardly reactivate amazon. Patience for the fewer bits...

Jim Shaw

Forum Donor
OK, ok, alright already... you guys have pushed me past analysis paralysis and I ordered a WiiM a minute ago. Amazon has them on sale for $89 less a $5 coupon. It'll be here tomorrow (they say). It'll play in the bedroom, into a Denon PMA600NE (which has two optical inputs -- one does the BluRay player for CDs).

Y'all better be right. Don't make me come up there...
:)
1656783305738.png

Smartplug

There are many progress have been made on wiim on both firmware and software despite its low price. Even high price streamer hardly get updates. This shows the superiority of talented and engineering behind wiim.

amper42

Major Contributor
Unfortunately, when streaming Hi-Res files from a DLNA server to multiple Wiims, playback is still limited to 16/48
I also found that true with the latest Wiim Home app build date 7/1/2022 and app 2.0.3. Multi-room Wiim mini units are limited to 48K until you break the multi-room configuration and individually stream 192kHz to each puck. (No Alexa used)

I also noticed when updates arrive they only show up if the original Wiim mini is powered up. If it's off and the 2nd added Wiim is on, the update option does not show up in Wiim Home. However, after the first installed Wiim is turned on an up arrow shows up next to the song playing. Pushing it updates all Wiim pucks turned on at once.

Last edited:

Smartplug

Anyone knows if there’s difference between hifi 16/44 vs master 16/44 from tidal? Or this just snake oil?

amper42

Major Contributor
OK, ok, alright already... you guys have pushed me past analysis paralysis and I ordered a WiiM a minute ago. Amazon has them on sale for $89 less a $5 coupon. It'll be here tomorrow (they say). It'll play in the bedroom, into a Denon PMA600NE (which has two optical inputs -- one does the BluRay player for CDs).

Y'all better be right. Don't make me come up there...
:)View attachment 216099

While streaming with Wiim is a nice value and offers great Amazon/Apple streaming capability, I still prefer RPi4 (Moode) for analytical listening with Qobuz/Audirvana and my main sound system. However, the multi-room feature built into Wiim mini Home is so easy to use it's addictive. And if you don't have a Qobuz subscription, Wiim offers many alternate options for streaming service compatibility. Just ordered my 3rd puck for $79. It should be here today. :)

Brantome

Major Contributor
casting from the amazon app has now become like the holy grail... ;-)
Very pragmatically, after evaluating what Tidal HiFi offers, such as (acceptable) quality and user experience, both at home and in the car, I think I will hardly reactivate amazon. Patience for the fewer bits...
Casting from the amazon app has been there in the past few betas and is working pretty well….

Top Bottom