• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Minidsp Flex Review (Audio DSP)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 0.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 16 2.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 117 20.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 435 76.0%

• Total voters

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I ordered the balanced model early in the morning of the 25th (UK time) and it shipped this morning. Just had an email from DHL to pay the duty. There may be different stock levels for the different versions.

Estimated delivery is 4th May

NailOnHead

Connected the MinDSP Flex up to my Audiophonics LPA-S500NC (Hypex Ncore NC502MP) today.

Analog version, 6.35mm jack (TRX) to XLR balanced. USB input from my Macbook and toslink from my PC.
Perfect. Nice clear display, good volume control, good remote.
And with my ear pressed to the tweeter (B&W CM10 S2) only a barely audible hiss. In my opinion very good for low cost products, amp with a gain of 25.6dB and rather sensitive speakers at 90dB/W/m.

Very satisfied with my new setup.

The DIRAC license has yet to be activated, so I might post about this later.

Omar Cumming

FYI: Flex analog
Ordered April 25
Shipped from HK April 29
Delivered to NY USA May 2 via DHL

Cheers

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
FYI: Flex Balanced
Ordered Apr 25
No shipping
No email
No nothing yet. :D

SlowCar

Does anyone know why audiophonics has so high priced flex? 800/900 euro

deafenears

Forum Donor
Probably because they know it's in demand, and currently low in stock so can capitalize on that. Probably also cause they're the only? EU distributor?

RHO

Major Contributor
Probably because they know it's in demand, and currently low in stock so can capitalize on that. Probably also cause they're the only? EU distributor?
I think it's because of taxes and import fees. Prices at miniDSP.nl are also quite high for the products they carry. No Flex there.

vicenzo_del_paris

Forum Donor
Hi,

Back in January, I contacted audiophonics about their Flex devices pricing.
They told me that minidsp do not not provide any retailer discounts on new products first batch orders.
Like most of us, I ended up ordering directly at minidsp in January, saving 250€ compared to audiophonics.

SlowCar

Yes, seems like ordering directly from minidsp is good plan.

Will this device with basic Dirac handle well 2.1 system or i will have to buy subwoofer Dirac extension?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Mine's just arrived. Listening to it now. Just got to wait for the Dirac activation now.

Multicore

Major Contributor
We've had ours for a bit more than a week. It appears to work as described.

The output seems low. We have the balanced version. Currently it is connected with a TRS-to-RCA cable (supplied by miniDSP) to an old-fashioned integrated amp (MF M3si). I was expecting to turn the volume knob on the amp (or maybe on the Flex if it's really hot) down relative to the setting for the Topping D50s that it replaces but no, I had t turn it up! The Flex and D50s volume controls are both set to 0dB. My filter settings aren't to blame because the overall volume is about the same as using one of the Flex's factory-flat settings on a different preset. Input is optical TOSLINK.

stemfencer

Connected the MinDSP Flex up to my Audiophonics LPA-S500NC (Hypex Ncore NC502MP) today.

Analog version, 6.35mm jack (TRX) to XLR balanced. USB input from my Macbook and toslink from my PC.
Perfect. Nice clear display, good volume control, good remote.
And with my ear pressed to the tweeter (B&W CM10 S2) only a barely audible hiss. In my opinion very good for low cost products, amp with a gain of 25.6dB and rather sensitive speakers at 90dB/W/m.

Very satisfied with my new setup.

The DIRAC license has yet to be activated, so I might post about this later.
Please keep us posted - looking at basically exact same set-up!

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
We've had ours for a bit more than a week. It appears to work as described.

The output seems low. We have the balanced version. Currently it is connected with a TRS-to-RCA cable (supplied by miniDSP) to an old-fashioned integrated amp (MF M3si). I was expecting to turn the volume knob on the amp (or maybe on the Flex if it's really hot) down relative to the setting for the Topping D50s that it replaces but no, I had t turn it up! The Flex and D50s volume controls are both set to 0dB. My filter settings aren't to blame because the overall volume is about the same as using one of the Flex's factory-flat settings on a different preset. Input is optical TOSLINK.

Do you have the ability to generate a test tone (REW)? Do you have a DMM? If so I would play a 100 Hz test tone in REW and measure the output voltage of the D50S and Flex with the DMM and see what you get. I expect both to be around 2 V (assuming no filtering on the Flex) at 0 dBFS.

Michael

staticV3

Master Contributor
Since Multicode has the 1/4" TRS balanced version of the MiniDSP Flex, 0dBFS should result in 4Vrms vs the 2Vrms the D50s is capable of.
Screenshot_20220503-164046_Chrome.jpg

Top Bottom