• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

Glades

That’s nothing to do with bit perfect. It just shows there’s no resampling. The two are entirely different things.
To find out exactly, one needs to check via a bitperfect testfile, record output, and some file summer utilities to compare and rule out any DSP or whatever interference. The hint I got from the WiiM settings (re. DSP) is disabling EQ and volume, but I'm far from expert on such matters. Seems like a fair question.

Brantome

Major Contributor
To find out exactly, one needs to check via a bitperfect testfile, record output, and some file summer utilities to compare and rule out any DSP or whatever interference. The hint I got from the WiiM settings (re. DSP) is disabling EQ and volume, but I'm far from expert on such matters. Seems like a fair question.
I’d say that when most people (I.e. not those with relevant degrees) talk about bit perfect, they’re really just meaning not tampered with in any manner that they can tell I.e. no resampling, digital volume changes, EQ etc - what comes out is what went in. Most won’t have tools to ascertain this other than lights or displays on their DAC/amp, and most will be satisfied with that.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
I hope that the DAC makers like Topping (@JohnYang1997) are looking at including this Linkplay tech into some of their offerings. Simple, bit-perfect streaming at up to 24/192, with support for multiple streaming services as well as local DLNA servers instead of the limited BT that they currently include in some DACs. Would seem to make a lot of sense. Maybe once Roon is supported, to keep everyone happy...

Witterings

How are people finding the stuttering at the moment on different services?

I thought one of the updates had cured mine but it seems it was one evening and since then has been massively worse to the extent I'd say it's a complete joke.

We had family round for Easter Sunday today and because it's been so bad I switched back to my Chromecast Audios and had many hours of stutter free music, I switched back when they went and it drove me nuts within 15 minutes so switched back to the CCA's again.

Is this just Amazon or are the other services (Tidal, Spotify etc.) getting stutter free playback and is it something they used to suffer from and has now been resolved with software updates?

I'm asking because they're out of stock at the moment so if I were to sell them I'd probably get close to what I payed for them back and buy something decent as I'd like to stick with Amazon, if however it's something that's been resolved with other services then hopefully it will with Amazon as well as apart from that they suit what I need.

Smitty2k1

I thought one of the updates had cured mine but it seems it was one evening and since then has been massively worse to the extent I'd say it's a complete joke.

We had family round for Easter Sunday today and because it's been so bad I switched back to my Chromecast Audios and had many hours of stutter free music, I switched back when they went and it drove me nuts within 15 minutes so switched back to the CCA's again.

Is this just Amazon or are the other services (Tidal, Spotify etc.) getting stutter free playback and is it something they used to suffer from and has now been resolved with software updates?

I'm asking because they're out of stock at the moment so if I were to sell them I'd probably get close to what I payed for them back and buy something decent as I'd like to stick with Amazon, if however it's something that's been resolved with other services then hopefully it will with Amazon as well as apart from that they suit what I need.
I still get stuttering occasionally playing back local media (Emby server) and Spotify. I don't use any other services. It will go days without stuttering then will stutter for a day. Been in contact with Wiim support and I've sent them logs.

I can't rule out my mesh wifi (Orbit) as the culprit. They push silent firmware updates that you can't skip so who knows if that caused some problems.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
Haven't had any stuttering issues at all. I stream from Tidal HiFi mostly, via LMS -> UPnP -> WiiM Mini. TP-Link Deco mesh WiFi setup, typically see Very Good or Excellent WiFi Strength in the WiiM app.

Glades

From last wednesday, where WiiM updated my device overnight with pre-release firmware, up untill now, zero stuttering (knock on wood). +/- 12 hours use a day.
However, I only use local media and some i-net radiostations. I did some test with heavy traffic to my router and NAS, while streaming, but stable since. I only wish there was an option to disable auto-update, as the firmware before the pre-release introduced stuttering. I'm kind of worried for the next update...lol.

WiiM Support

Hi Witterings, sorry for the stuttering issue. Can you please help send a feedback with WiiM Home App by selecting settings tab > feedback? We'll take a look at your issue immediately after receiving your feedback. Regarding your use of Amazon music, are you using it on WiiM Home App or native Amazon Music App? If using it on WiiM Home App, please try to cast music from Amazon Music App and see if you still have stuttering issue. Thanks!

WiiM Support

From last wednesday, where WiiM updated my device overnight with pre-release firmware, up untill now, zero stuttering (knock on wood). +/- 12 hours use a day.
However, I only use local media and some i-net radiostations. I did some test with heavy traffic to my router and NAS, while streaming, but stable since. I only wish there was an option to disable auto-update, as the firmware before the pre-release introduced stuttering. I'm kind of worried for the next update...lol.
Hi Glades, your concern about the quality impact from software regression is well noted. Internally, we have a very comprehensive test suite that can verify a lot of typical use cases. Playback smoothness is one of the top items to check. Just in case if you have any issue with the App or device, please feel free to shot us a feedback from the App. Our support team will take a look at this issue immediately. Thanks!

Witterings

Hi Witterings, sorry for the stuttering issue. Can you please help send a feedback with WiiM Home App by selecting settings tab > feedback? We'll take a look at your issue immediately after receiving your feedback. Regarding your use of Amazon music, are you using it on WiiM Home App or native Amazon Music App? If using it on WiiM Home App, please try to cast music from Amazon Music App and see if you still have stuttering issue. Thanks!

Hi, I've sent feedback, I've always used the Amazon App rather than the WiiM one

imral3

@WiiM Support I too have had major problems with stuttering on Amazon Music HD. So bad that it forced me to switch to Tidal until the issue was fixed. I will check AMHD again today. If the issue persists I will also send in feedback from within the Wiim Home app.

Thanks for your participation here and excellent support.

Witterings

Just a thought re the stuttering and I could be totally wrong .... I have 3 different WiM's named Kitchen, Lounge and Study.

I thought with the WiiM App you'd only need to log into one but discovered you needed to highlight them one by one in devices and then go into browse, scroll to Amazon music and log in .... if I'd done that with say Kitchen, you had to repeat the process with Lounge and Study as it didn't see them as being logged in (worth checking Alexa login for all as well).
I thought this would then carry over to whatever device you were using as "The WiiM" was now logged into your Amazon account .... today though I was using a different tablet and just thought I'd check it in the WiiM App and it wasn't logged in (not sure if I did it a week or so ago) although the tablet was logged into Amazon Music.

It also made me wonder if the updates being released knock you out of your logins and maybe that causes problems.

Brantome

Major Contributor
Just a thought re the stuttering and I could be totally wrong .... I have 3 different WiM's named Kitchen, Lounge and Study.

I thought with the WiiM App you'd only need to log into one but discovered you needed to highlight them one by one in devices and then go into browse, scroll to Amazon music and log in .... if I'd done that with say Kitchen, you had to repeat the process with Lounge and Study as it didn't see them as being logged in (worth checking Alexa login for all as well).
I thought this would then carry over to whatever device you were using as "The WiiM" was now logged into your Amazon account .... today though I was using a different tablet and just thought I'd check it in the WiiM App and it wasn't logged in (not sure if I did it a week or so ago) although the tablet was logged into Amazon Music.

It also made me wonder if the updates being released knock you out of your logins and maybe that causes problems.
I too would have thought that when you linked the WiiM app to any music service that it would then cover all WiiM devices within the app i.e. the WiiM app is the logged on user. Maybe the WiiM app isn’t retaining whatever authentication token it gets back on successful linking.
Conversely, I can see the sense of logging each device into Alexa as that’s akin, to a degree, to adding a new device to a third party smart home device app which sometimes requires disabling and re enabling the corresponding Alexa skill to get Alexa to pick them up - although, having said that, some smart home skills are getting better at pushing updates thru to Alexa without that prompting.
i haven’t noticed that firmware updates have knocked me out of Amazon Music, although I was surprised that it did when I factory reset my WiiM to try and force a firmware update.

Smitty2k1

For those using the Wiim to playback media on a local network/server what server software are you using for gapless playback with replaygain? I've currently got an Emby server hosting my music but it doesn't support replaygain. Looking for other options.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How do you confirm this?
Different mp3 decoders will emit different bit streams, even if the input file is the same.
So you take not the input file (say mp3) as the source, but the mp3 decoder output.

Sadly, this is nothing a consumer can do.
You would have to capture the bit stream emitted from the decoder with some C-code or something.

Witterings

I too would have thought that when you linked the WiiM app to any music service that it would then cover all WiiM devices within the app i.e. the WiiM app is the logged on user. Maybe the WiiM app isn’t retaining whatever authentication token it gets back on successful linking.
Conversely, I can see the sense of logging each device into Alexa as that’s akin, to a degree, to adding a new device to a third party smart home device app which sometimes requires disabling and re enabling the corresponding Alexa skill to get Alexa to pick them up - although, having said that, some smart home skills are getting better at pushing updates thru to Alexa without that prompting.
i haven’t noticed that firmware updates have knocked me out of Amazon Music, although I was surprised that it did when I factory reset my WiiM to try and force a firmware update.

You'd think as well, if it wasn't logged in on a device and needed to be it wouldn't play at all but instead would ask for a login much the same as if you have the Amazon App on say a tablet and a phone, just because the tablet's linked it doesn't mean the phone is.
It'd make it a lot easier as well if there was a "master" Wiim login and any other devices that were added fell under that banner and used the same settings for certain things.

It's all conjecture though as we don't know for sure how it works but I'm now logged in and playing without any issue again so wonder if it's something to do with it.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
For those of you who already have this device and are using the optical out, are you using the supplied optical cable or some other optical cable? If something else, is it for aesthetic/build quality (of the cable) reasons or you think you can hear a difference between different optical cables?
I replaced it with an Amazon Basics cable after it ripped the door off the Mini, and I was afraid it would do the same to my RME DAC. The supplied cable requires WAY too much force to remove. The replacement cable snaps in and out easily.

Jmudrick

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
For those of you who already have this device and are using the optical out, are you using the supplied optical cable or some other optical cable? If something else, is it for aesthetic/build quality (of the cable) reasons or you think you can hear a difference between different optical cables?
I'm using the cable provided.

phx

I ll ask here as its about the Wiim ..

Mine shipped today. I ll also get a pair of Wharfedale 11.1, have a Pair of Borea BR02 als alternative to test and even some other slightly smaller older speakers. But probably the Wharfedales will be used. It will be for music listening in the bedroom. Using Tidal mostly.

Any suggestions what to plug in between?
As is, as DAC/Amp connected to the Wiim Mini by Toslink?

For starters i can use my old Pioneer AVR but i d like something smaller. Not sure how much i want to spend. Probably not more than 200-300. If its less, thats welcome ;D

I have thought about a Loxije A30. That should be plenty powerful. Also the Headphone Out of that is a welcome addition. I have an older LG Quad Dac Phone that drives my Earphones without amp, but i guess something additional wont hurt.
Optimally it should have a remote, which the A30 has too.

Having read too much here i also eyed a Topping DX3pro+ & PA3s combo ... but i think thats already going overboard for that purpose ;D

Oh, and i might also use the Wiim for my x4700h in the living room to avoid Heos. Usually use a TabletPC or Heos App to stream there. But am not super fond of the latter. If it works well i might get a 2nd just for that.

Top Bottom