• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Audiophonics HPA-S400ET Review (Stereo Amplifier)

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 4 0.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 39 8.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 441 90.9%

• Total voters

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Actually, the Benchmark has multiple failsafe and protection circuits due to its intended studio use so I would not expect having to bring it in for repair.

There is no import duty if importing in to the US. I've purchased 5 amplifiers from Audiophonics and have never been charged import duty.

Michael

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
There is no import duty if importing in to the US. I've purchased 5 amplifiers from Audiophonics and have never been charged import duty.

Michael
If there is no U.S. dealer and you purchased directly from France, then *you* are the importer and the onus is on *you* to report the purchase to the government and pay the tax.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

pma

Major Contributor
You are paying twice for a power amplifier that offers half the power but 4dB more SINAD. That is the bottom line. I hope you understood what I posted now.
You talking about 1kHz SINAD, right. Look at high frequency distortion and Purifi or any class D are still miles behind the best linear amplifiers. Long way to run, still.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
I believe that the amps are arranged in a push-pull fashion. IIRC, that presents a more gentle load on the SMPS. It would explain the wiring that you've noted.
From the website

Audiophonics Interface Card​

Both modules are driven in opposite phase, to cancel out the «Power-Supply Pumping» effect. This allows greater stability in the power supply by alternately distributing current draws on each rail, thus increasing its overall capacities.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You talking about 1kHz SINAD, right. Look at high frequency distortion and Purifi or any class D are still miles behind the best linear amplifiers. Long way to run, still.
Not to mention power abilities under 2Ω or 1Ω. Another area where Class D is still not that great.

Can't wait to see how the new ET7040 will perform on that matter.

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If there is no U.S. dealer and you purchased directly from France, then *you* are the importer and the onus is on *you* to report the purchase to the government and pay the tax.

It depends on the country of origin and what you are buying. These amplifiers show a France country of origin and there is no duty. I did need to fill out an importer identity form but TNT / FedEx take care of all paperwork after that. If there is duty owed FedEx will charge you for it. I have paid duty on Chinese products from Audiophonics.

See attached for a purchase of two Hypex amplifiers showing no duty.

Michael

Attachments

• 96B22CA8-F084-4A89-B295-E9E43BDBE954.jpeg
    96B22CA8-F084-4A89-B295-E9E43BDBE954.jpeg
    364.4 KB · Views: 179

MCH

Major Contributor
In this case you are lucky guys over there... I don't know how much audiophonics or boxem charge for the shipping to the US, but at the current usd/eur exchange rate, off the 20% French vat, and no import duties these can be a very good deal indeed...

Last edited:

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This sure looks good , nice result . :)

Was a bit suspicious of thier amp offerings before, as they also have editions with “special op amps” , this is imho preying on weak audiophile minds or not knowing what you are doing ?

Other series integrators design thier interface boards and auxiliary circuits as good as they know how and then stick to it.
Not offering any pick and mix of special magic parts ? As you actually can’t change the sound of an already transparent machine.

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It depends on the country of origin and what you are buying. These amplifiers show a France country of origin and there is no duty. I did need to fill out an importer identity form but TNT / FedEx take care of all paperwork after that. If there is duty owed FedEx will charge you for it. I have paid duty on Chinese products from Audiophonics.

See attached for a purchase of two Hypex amplifiers showing no duty.

Michael
OK, I stand corrected—you did what you needed to do!

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I thought I did but I may be misinterpreting the charts. May I ask you to kindly show me the chart where what you say is displayed?

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Was a bit suspicious of thier amp offerings before, as they also have editions with “special op amps” , this is imho preying on weak audiophile minds or not knowing what you are doing ?
Audiophonics is 100% an excellent seller. And I tell you being a customer for the last 8 years or so. But again: seller.

You might know they also sell xxxx€ power cables and tons of audiophile snake oil tweaks. I consider Sparkos Edition to be one of these. No pun intended: they have a business to run and know 100% what they are doing.

Last edited:

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In this case you are lucky guys over there... I don't know how much audiophonics or boxem charge for the shipping to the US, but at the current usd/eur exchange rate, off the 21% French vat, and no import duties these can be a very good deal indeed...

Indeed, all of the NC252MP amplifiers I've purchased from Audiophonics have come in under $500/ea including shipping with exchange rates about 10% higher than they are now.

Michael

Reactions: MCH

DSS

I am so glad that I bought this amplifier!! Most Audio related content on the internet centers around stuff that's easily available in the US. So imagine my enormous grin when a Dutch and Danish engineered module is absolutely shining in a package beautifully put together by the French. (Pardon my French but that just gets my EU dick hard.) No fluff, no snake-oil, just the carefully designed necessities. I knew when I hooked it up for the first time that this would be my last amplifier.

smiling-face-with-tear_1f972.png
flag-european-union_1f1ea-1f1fa.png
I think Bruno feels left out.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
May I ask you to kindly show me the chart where what you say is displayed?
That's one of the issues here. There is mostly "charts" for SINAD at either 2V/4V or 1Khz/5W/4Ω only (I jest somewhat ;)).

But you just may check any THD+N VS Frequency graphs from decent AB amps measured here. Even the "terrible" Hegel H95 or CA CXA81 do have better THD/frequency independence than this amp (yet a much more elevated noise floor).

DSS

Yes, this is the pretty much the only thing letting it down. A bit cheap for a four-figure product. Everything else is present and correct. It's not as if there's no space for a switch...

There are European competitors who do manage that, but then they've not managed to get those units to Amir for review. Examples:

Apollon 1ET400A mini or multichannel (12.8/20.5/27.5/29.0dB, per channel pair)
View attachment 194373
Vera Audio P150/600 RS (12-30dB in 3dB steps, per channel)
View attachment 194372

I also believe neither of those actually bypass the input buffer for low gain - so you always get a high-impedance load.
Apollon is about 50% more expensive and the Vera about 2.5 times the Audiophonics, to me a bit much for a sexy case and a gain selector knob on the back

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That's one of the issues here. There is mostly "charts" for SINAD at either 2V/4V or 1Khz/5W/4Ω only (I jest somewhat ;)).

But you just may check any THD+N VS Frequency graphs from decent AB amps measured here. Even the "terrible" Hegel H95 or CA CXA81 do have better THD/frequency independence than this amp (yet a much more elevated noise floor).
What about this chart which compares this amp with one of the best Class AB amps.

index.php

KMO

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Apollon is about 50% more expensive and the Vera about 2.5 times the Audiophonics, to me a bit much for a sexy case and a gain selector knob on the back
Apollon is €1590+VAT compared to this Audiophonics €1242+VAT - that's 28%, so not quite that bad. (Although there is the cheaper Audiophonics in a smaller case.)

2.5 times is right for the Vera.

But you could then argue that Audiophonics have room in the market to add an external switch for a small additional price and still be much better value than the others...

Last edited:

pma

Major Contributor
I thought I did but I may be misinterpreting the charts. May I ask you to kindly show me the chart where what you say is displayed?

The charts are here, of course. THD+N is below 0.003% (-90dB) at 20kHz for 16-133W/4ohm.

index.php

Top Bottom