• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Minidsp Flex Review (Audio DSP)

Rate this product:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 0.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 17 3.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 117 20.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 436 76.0%

• Total voters

Ultrasonic

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I can't seem to figure out how one would use it as an AV processor in the same way one would use an AVR (sans the power amp section, etc.).

You're aren't missing anything; a Flex can't do this. Neither can some others in the comparison chart come to that. I think the idea was just to group together products that have some form of DSP capability.

rockyb

Forum Donor
I believe you can use it to digitise an analogue source. But I'm not sure how you are going to remove distortion.
Thanks for responding.

I am talking about a low rumble from A/C or the cheap tape drive, for example. Selectively filter or de-equalize different frequencies. I can do this from the playback of the analog output of the tape recorder routed to the analog outputs, but the old tape recorder is on its last legs, so saving to digital media is important.

I do not know specifically how to capture the bitstream from the ADC via USB to the PC in a savable file.

I have been wondering if this had to do with copy protection schemes....

flyzipper

I'm surprised (yet happy) to see the improved performance over the MiniDSP 2x4HD (given they share the same DSP engine --
Analog Devices Fixed point DSP SHARC ADSP21489).

Goes to show that implementation matters.

Thanks for the review!

Stephen

I did that too. DEQ was , maybe, 10 years ago an interesting device. Now it`s just sad.
Just looking at my friends face hypnotised in front of the orange RTA screen of the DEQ, no, it's not a sad product! I love it... But i wish the screen was bigger and maybe red instead of orange... Anyway for 250 box it does the job rather well at least using digital in/out.

Bacchusoo7

You're aren't missing anything; a Flex can't do this. Neither can some others in the comparison chart come to that. I think the idea was just to group together products that have some form of DSP capability.
Ah, okay. Thank you for clearing that up. I appreciate it.

Pdxwayne

Major Contributor
Dashboard is 44.1 kHz:

index.php

See the green writing at the bottom.
Haha, thanks! Yeah, another member already answered that earlier.
: )

Curious, your 44.1 is based on 16, 24, or 32 bits?

At least for my Gustard x16, via Windows 10, using 16bit vs 24bit in Windows advanced audio setting gave me different hi hat tone when I ran the test files for online timing tests. I am curious if different bit rate could give different results.

Thanks!

PeteL

Major Contributor

Go here for more general conversation about tech: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/minidsp-flex.28660/page-27#post-1086307
OK, I find it a bit sad, for some of us that has a bit of experience with digital audio that we can't try to answer some peoples interrogations on why in some products like this one we believe things are done a certain way, going all the time with "I'd like to discuss that statement of yours but since it also may also apply to general digital audio knowledge, I will respond this on another thread" will make the stream of communications a bit scattered, especially when the post that get deleted is not from the top of the discussion but somewhere in the middle, but OK.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
OK, I find it a bit sad, for some of us that has a bit of experience with digital audio that we can't try to answer some peoples interrogations on why in some products like this one we believe things are done a certain way, going all the time with "I'd like to discuss that statement of yours but since it also may also apply to general digital audio knowledge, I will respond this on another thread" will make the stream of communications a bit scattered, especially when the post that get deleted is not from the top of the discussion but somewhere in the middle, but OK.
If you feel your comments are relevant to this product and the subject review by all means post here. Just trying to tamp down thread drift. Thank you for your understanding. It is entirely possible I may have gotten a little overzealous. :oops:

PeteL

Major Contributor
If you feel your comments are relevant to this product and the subject review by all means post here. Just trying to tamp down thread drift. Thank you for your understanding. It is entirely possible I may have gotten a little overzealous. :oops:
Thanks, well it got deleted, I feel it was relevant. The core of it was about why I think that higher than higher sample rate than twice the audible range matter when DSP is involved, like on this product and it was following up on a already started discussion, yes I think maybe not so overzealous but maybe judged a bit quickly. I do think it wasn't breaking the rules that you posted but no worries and no arm, I'll keep in mind about overly drifting, like to be honest I gave my opinion on MQA earlier in the thread, that one I completely agree it don't belong here, still that one haven't been filtered out but I would have completely understood and agree.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Thanks, well it got deleted, I feel it was relevant. The core of it was about why I think that higher than higher sample rate than twice the audible range matter when DSP is involved, like on this product and it was following up on a already started discussion, yes I think maybe not so overzealous but maybe judged a bit quickly. I do think it wasn't breaking the rules that you posted but no worries and no arm, I'll keep in mind about overly drifting, like to be honest I gave my opinion on MQA earlier in the thread, that one I completely agree it don't belong here, still that one haven't been filtered out but I would have completely understood and agree.
Your previous post has been restored. We are not perfect and have to make many judgement calls day in and day out. I’m going to get some wrong. Enjoy the remainder of your Saturday night.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

Xyrium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The xover slope accuracy would be interesting.

I'm really pleased that ASR is delivering the reviews of cutting edge stuff. Congrats Amir on another great release.

My RME is quivering at the moment...:eek:

Edit: I see they have a plan to release an all digital version of this. Isn't that redundant with the SHD Studio?

Edit 2: I think I've answered my own question. Apparently the SHD Studio is equipped with DIRAC already, and is twice the price essentially. Though the SHD does also have a headphone output, as well.

Last edited:

laudio

This is probably the first product I've seen on ASR that is a really a "game changer". Price is a little high but something I might try an buy. Topping - are you listening? Your DACs are are going to be left behind with no DSP.

Top Bottom