• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Aiyima refuses to replace failed PSU [Now Resolved]

Scrufboy

I bought the PSU that Aiyima recommends on their sales page for the A07 amplifier. It arrived, I hooked it up and it worked great for 3 days. Then, when I moved it to a different outlet. It just stopped. No smell, no smoke.

I am running a 100 watt Sony subwoofer and 2 KEF LS50 Meta's... Aiyima is telling me that their recommended PSU is "too big" . What does that even mean?

I'm sure those willing to read this can help out. At 8 ohms, this PSU only does 120w - 140w per the Aiyima chart. If I have the sub and the Meta's hooked up... Should this PSU fail?

I run this through a Niles 4 speaker switch. I bought all of this Aiyima gear to be able to power all the speakers connected to the box... Shouldn't I need this much power to run these all at once if need be?

My Harmon Kardon AVR does 50watts per channel. I have 40w speakers hooked up... Been running great for 17 years... So what is Aiyima trying to say to me? If 120w is too much for 100w speakers plus the sub... Then by that logic, my AVR should be long gone. Am I not getting something?

Am I out the $60? Is this on me? Or should Aiyima be willing to replace this unit... If all else fails, does anyone here, who could repair it, possibly want it?

Kind of disgruntled. Help.... Please

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Usually PSU either fails in first 30 days or works for the expected life time estimate.
You aren't making it even possible for anyone here to help you as you didn't even told which PSU you bought.
Ask for money back if possible.
Find a 12A rated 48V one from trusted vendor locally and use it if you want to drive as much as possible from TPA3255 and make sure that heatsink does have good damping (put some quality thermal paste in between) if you want to drive it hard and that it lasts like that.
Best regards.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
Aiyima is telling me that their recommended PSU is too big. What does that even mean?
I can only guess it means the voltage is too high.

Power is Voltage x Current and current depends on Voltage & Resistance (Ohm's Law). It doesn't hurt if the power supply is capable of more current... We don't know the effective resistance of the amplifier and it changes moment-to-moment depending on how much power it's putting-out, but the amplifier will only "draw" as much current as it needs.

The power supply should only be damaged if you draw too much current and that will only happen if you're using an underrated power supply (not enough current capability for the particular amplifier) or if the output is shorted. (Many power supplies are "short circuit protected" so there is no permanent damage from a short or excess current.)

...If the voltage is too high for the amplifier the amplifier could blow and then short-out the power supply.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I advice everyone on this forum not to purchase any power supplies or anything that takes mains power in from unknown brands. You better off buying it off a company that sells millions of unit a year with rigid quality control measures. I bought my powersupply from meanwell for 80$, it's just not worth it to gamble.

OP
Scrufboy

Scrufboy

Usually PSU either fails in first 30 days or works for the expected life time estimate.
You aren't making it even possible for anyone here to help you as you didn't even told which PSU you bought.
Ask for money back if possible.
Find a 12A rated 48V one from trusted vendor locally and use it if you want to drive as much as possible from TPA3255 and make sure that heatsink does have good damping (put some quality thermal paste in between) if you want to drive it hard and that it lasts like that.
Best regards.
Actually, I did tell you which power supply. In my first sentence where I typed - "I bought the PSU that Aiyima recommends on their sales page for the A07 amplifier" I figure that there was a familiarity as this subject has been covered quite a bit and anyone in this Aiyima A07 camp should know exactly which power supply I'm talking about.

OP
Scrufboy

Scrufboy

Yeah, nothing... I checked all the connections, I using a sacrificed PC power cable with ground. The one they sent was too short and kind of lame.
Relax. Did you moved it back to the old outlet? Still not working?

OP
Scrufboy

Scrufboy

Well, I did purchase the Drok PSU on Amazon. At least I can dial the voltage back to 32v-40ish
I advice everyone on this forum not to purchase any power supplies or anything that takes mains power in from unknown brands. You better off buying it off a company that sells millions of unit a year with rigid quality control measures. I bought my powersupply from meanwell for 80$, it's just not worth it to gamble.

OP
Scrufboy

Scrufboy

Yeah, this is what I thought too.. They recommend this PSU as the claim is the A07 amplifier is capable of 300watts Per Channel. If I hook up 3 more 50watt speakers per channel to the Niles box... I'll need that juice, right?
I can only guess it means the voltage is too high.

Power is Voltage x Current and current depends on Voltage & Resistance (Ohm's Law). It doesn't hurt if the power supply is capable of more current... We don't know the effective resistance of the amplifier and it changes moment-to-moment depending on how much power it's putting-out, but the amplifier will only "draw" as much current as it needs.

The power supply should only be damaged if you draw too much current and that will only happen if you're using an underrated power supply (not enough current capability for the particular amplifier) or if the output is shorted. (Many power supplies are "short circuit protected" so there is no permanent damage from a short or excess current.)

...If the voltage is too high for the amplifier the amplifier could blow and then short-out the power supply.

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
@Scrufboy so you bought underrated unknown power supply. As much as I see the rated recommendation is 10A at 48V (meaning even more 12A 85% E) if you want to get out of the TPA3255 all what you can. But that's not the reason that PSU failed. If it failed demand money back from the commerce you bought it disregarding what sails man have to say.

litemotiv

Aiyima is telling me that their recommended PSU is "too big" . What does that even mean?

This doesn't make any sense, if it fails so quickly then it should simply be replaced.

However... their terms state:

"We do not warrant that the quality of any products, services, information, or other material purchased or obtained by you will meet your expectations, or that any errors in the Service will be corrected."

Which ofcourse is quite ****** and not legal in a number of geographic areas. For instance when selling to customers in the EU it is mandatory to provide at least 2 years of warranty. But i do not know if similar laws apply when selling to the US.

litemotiv

@Scrufboy so you bought underrated unknown power supply.

It's not underrated though, it's the 2nd highest power supply in their list and the one they recommend for most circumstances:

DSJR

Major Contributor
The A07 may make 300W for a very short time, but it'll be hideously distorted and on peaks only (I put it as a fair 50WPC or so myself).. I don't know how that speaker box wires several pairs of speakers to the amp, but I feel you're asking far too much from a tiny desktop amp to drive several speakers at almost any volume/power level. No idea if you've blown the amp itself or the power supply and without a multi-meter, I'm not sure how you could ascertain this.

I'd suggest the A07 would be fine as a little desktop amp for one pair of easy-to-drive speakers only, but if you need more power, output current for a combined loading of 3 - 4 ohms (maybe less depending on how these speakers are connected via the box)and especially if using it like this at 'spirited volume' levels, I'd suggest upping the budget and size to something like the Crown XLS1002 tested here -

- as it'll be pretty bombproof and should be designed for all manner of awkward loads given to it.

OP
Scrufboy

Scrufboy

@Scrufboy so you bought underrated unknown power supply. As much as I see the rated recommendation is 10A at 48V (meaning even more 12A 85% E) if you want to get out of the TPA3255 all what you can. But that's not the reason that PSU failed. If it failed demand money back from the commerce you bought it disregarding what sails man have to say.
Agreed... This post is moreover to generate buzz. I have contacted them... They seem to be stalling. I appreciate your input and will keep everyone posted.

OP
Scrufboy

Scrufboy

This doesn't make any sense, if it fails so quickly then it should simply be replaced.

"We do not warrant that the quality of any products, services, information, or other material purchased or obtained by you will meet your expectations, or that any errors in the Service will be corrected."

Which ofcourse is quite ****** and not legal in a number of geographic areas. For instance when selling to customers in the EU it is mandatory to provide at least 2 years of warranty. But i do not know if similar laws apply when selling to the US.
Yikes! Thanks for jumping in.... I appreciate it.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

EU laws don't apply if you are purchasing in China and then importing.

OP
Scrufboy

Scrufboy

The Amp is fine... Works really well. Of course I resorted to using their supplied 32v 5a brick. It runs great for what it is.
I wasn't running the A07 at 300w... It was about 240w. It sounded better than the supplied brick.

I have been using the Niles speaker switch for over a decade. It is the SS-4 with 100watts per channel with circuit protection able to run with amplifiers capable 4 or 8 ohms. I was running 4, 50 watt speakers per channel through this Niles box via Bluetooth with a Dayton DTA-120BT2 in my bedroom. This with a Sony subwoofer before swapping to the Schiit HEL2e DAC and the A07 Amp. The Dayton sounded like everything was in a muffled warm can.

Previously I used the Niles box to feed 3 series/parallel junction boxes I made so I could run 12 speakers as one channel for my center channel.
The A07 may make 300W for a very short time, but it'll be hideously distorted and on peaks only (I put it as a fair 50WPC or so myself).. I don't know how that speaker box wires several pairs of speakers to the amp, but I feel you're asking far too much from a tiny desktop amp to drive several speakers at almost any volume/power level. No idea if you've blown the amp itself or the power supply and without a multi-meter, I'm not sure how you could ascertain this.

I'd suggest the A07 would be fine as a little desktop amp for one pair of easy-to-drive speakers only, but if you need more power, output current for a combined loading of 3 - 4 ohms (maybe less depending on how these speakers are connected via the box)and especially if using it like this at 'spirited volume' levels, I'd suggest upping the budget and size to something like the Crown XLS1002 tested here -

- as it'll be pretty bombproof and should be designed for all manner of awkward loads given to it.

Last edited:

buz

Forum Donor
If you bought via PayPal or aliexpress file a case with them.

OP
Scrufboy

Scrufboy

That's a bit much right now considering I dropped so much on the new SWS sub and the KEF LS50 Meta's. Someone recommended the S.M.S.L AO200. Which is better suited to the location due to it's size. But that Crown seems pretty sweet! These two are on the upgrade path checklist for sure. The A07 was at first all about budget and space. The schiit DAC, the A07 and the Aiyima A3001 all stack well on the tiny space they occupy.

I am truly thankful for all of you who popped in to help out. I'll have to wait until Aiyima makes a decision.

Top Bottom