• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Aiyima refuses to replace failed PSU [Now Resolved]

Joe Smith

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I just think trying to push the A07 to the edge of its capabilities is a pretty bad idea. I am using an A04 and A07 with their standard 32v/5a power brick with 87-89 efficiency speakers and have had no problems. If your setup requires more than 100 wpc, the A07 is probably not your best choice.

OP
Scrufboy

Scrufboy

I just think trying to push the A07 to the edge of its capabilities is a pretty bad idea. I am using an A04 and A07 with their standard 32v/5a power brick with 87-89 efficiency speakers and have had no problems. If your setup requires more than 100 wpc, the A07 is probably not your best choice.
Yeah, it doesn't need that much now though... The LS50 Meta's are 40-100w... The power supply really brought out the highs quite a bit over the supplied brick. I have opted to get the DROK 48v 10amp and I'll dial that down to 32v-40v. That should put me right in the sweet spot.

DSJR

Major Contributor
Glad to read the amp itself is working fine - whew!!! - and that it's the power supply that's failed. Some hope if there's no smell or burning evident, that it could merely be 'infant mortality of an internal component' so early in its life (it does happen) rather than suspected abuse on your part.

From this distance in the UK, I still feel you may be asking rather a lot from this little box, so once the issue with the supply is sorted out, hopefully to your satisfaction, I'd still nag you to save up for a bigger amp able to withstand more trying speaker demands, accepting the switcher you're using appears to be well designed if the current ones are anything to go by (I come from an audiophool dealer mentality that speaker swtiching was the work of the devil and even an autoformer in the way was wrong - QED did a speaker volume control based that way)..

Hope you get it sorted...

OP
Scrufboy

Scrufboy

Glad to read the amp itself is working fine - whew!!! - and that it's the power supply that's failed. Some hope if there's no smell or burning evident, that it could merely be 'infant mortality of an internal component' so early in its life (it does happen) rather than suspected abuse on your part.

From this distance in the UK, I still feel you may be asking rather a lot from this little box, so once the issue with the supply is sorted out, hopefully to your satisfaction, I'd still nag you to save up for a bigger amp able to withstand more trying speaker demands, accepting the switcher you're using appears to be well designed if the current ones are anything to go by (I come from an audiophool dealer mentality that speaker swtiching was the work of the devil and even an autoformer in the way was wrong - QED did a speaker volume control based that way)..

Hope you get it sorted...
Thanks mate...

litemotiv

EU laws don't apply if you are purchasing in China and then importing.

They do! The law applies to all companies selling to citizens of the EU, regardless of the location of the store itself. But it can be difficult to enforce for smaller independent stores ofcourse.

For large stores/markets like Aliexpress most of it is formalized, here is for instance a page from the Dutch Consumer Authority about this:

bravomail

I am running a 100 watt Sony subwoofer and 2 KEF LS50 Meta's... Aiyima is telling me that their recommended PSU is "too big" . What does that even mean?
is your Sony 100W subwoofer powered? or u r powering it via A07?
I don't recommend powering any subwoofer via A07.
Your next power supply will likely fail as well.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
However... their terms state:

"We do not warrant that the quality of any products, services, information, or other material purchased or obtained by you will meet your expectations, or that any errors in the Service will be corrected."
IANAL, but it seems that this does not exclude product which is defective- they're just doing a CYA in case you buy something unsuitable for you needs or just don't like it for whatever reason. Defective product should fall under warranty- in the US, at least, absent a formal warranty, there's an implied warranty of merchantability.

OP
Scrufboy

Scrufboy

is your Sony 100W subwoofer powered? or u r powering it via A07?
I don't recommend powering any subwoofer via A07.
Your next power supply will likely fail as well.
Using speaker level inputs/outputs on the Sony. Yes it is powered... This however is being swapped out for an SWS 1000 pro. But to your point... Speaker level inputs will put no strain on the A07. Passive subwoofers are a dead thing and are pretty much non existent today.

I have spoken with SVS and I can either line level out from the DAC to the sub and IC to the A07 or I can parallel out from the A07 to both the speakers and the sub. Or I can Aux out of the A07 into the Aiyima A3001 and sub out from that to the SVS.

This thread is about drawing attention to Aiyima and their unwillingness to refund me or replace a faulty PSU that worked fine for 3 days and then stopped working when I put it in a different wall socket at the same socket. No pop, no smoke, no smell. No fault of mine...

Either of these three will work fine.

bravomail

Using speaker level inputs/outputs on the Sony. Yes it is powered... This however is being swapped out for an SWS 1000 pro. But to your point... Speaker level inputs will put no strain on the A07. Passive subwoofers are a dead thing and are pretty much non existent today.
thx for clarifying. Maybe try feeding your sub via that small 3.5mm to RCA in the back of A07? Or split RCA inputs to A07 and sub?
I have not very good Monoprice sub and it simply refused to work over speaker inputs, RCAs were fine.

OP
Scrufboy

Scrufboy

Judging from your efforts i assume it doesn't have a replaceable (internal?) fuse that could be replaced?
Well to be fair... At this point while waiting on Aiyima to give their final verdict. With that, I am hesitant to open it for now. I can see the fuse and it looks OK... But LOL- that doesn't mean anything... Once we get to that point, I'll open it up and give it a once over with the multimeter. I might have to be guided a bit on where to look if the issue isn't so obvious. Repair is definitely an option.

Joachim Herbert

Forum Donor
They do! The law applies to all companies selling to citizens of the EU, regardless of the location of the store itself. But it can be difficult to enforce for smaller independent stores ofcourse.

For large stores/markets like Aliexpress most of it is formalized, here is for instance a page from the Dutch Consumer Authority about this:

Unfortunately EU law applies INSIDE the EU. When doing business with companies outside the EU you are on your own. This is because EU jurisdiction cannot overrule laws in foreign countries. But never mind.

litemotiv

Unfortunately EU law applies INSIDE the EU. When doing business with companies outside the EU you are on your own. This is because EU jurisdiction cannot overrule laws in foreign countries. But never mind.

Did you read the page i linked to in my post?

Relevant quotes:

“Consumers buy more and more products online, including from businesses that are registered outside of the EU. If those businesses target European consumers, they will have to comply with the same rules as other providers within the EU. This ensures that consumers are able to navigate online markets with confidence. It also ensures that those businesses play by the same rules when competing with other providers. With this result, we help solve the problems that the joint European consumers’ associations have identified.”

"The results apply EU-wide."

OP
Scrufboy

Scrufboy

thx for clarifying. Maybe try feeding your sub via that small 3.5mm to RCA in the back of A07? Or split RCA inputs to A07 and sub?
I have not very good Monoprice sub and it simply refused to work over speaker inputs, RCAs were fine.
That is surely another way to approach this. Apparently you can setup the SVS to allow me to control volume and the crossover via the Aiyima A3001. So 3.5mm to RCA from the A07 to the RCA inputs of the A3001 and from that. Sub out to the sub. This is what I can currently do... And I actually have set up. This and parallel is also doable now. But Parallel is really not what I want to do to the A07 even though suspect it will be fine though.

I first have to pull the Niles SS-4 out of the mix and run straight cables from the A07 to the LS50 Meta's. Gotta put rubber feet on my less than desirable speaker stands too.

Joachim Herbert

Forum Donor
Did you read the page i linked to in my post?

Relevant quotes:

“Consumers buy more and more products online, including from businesses that are registered outside of the EU. If those businesses target European consumers, they will have to comply with the same rules as other providers within the EU. This ensures that consumers are able to navigate online markets with confidence. It also ensures that those businesses play by the same rules when competing with other providers. With this result, we help solve the problems that the joint European consumers’ associations have identified.”

"The results apply EU-wide."
Prove me wrong, but there is no law to support this.

litemotiv

Prove me wrong, but there is no law to support this.

You are wrong.

Here is the legal page for EU citizens on Aliexpress:

Relevant parts below with legal references marked italic:

---

CONFORMITY GUARANTEE RIGHT

In the EU, you have the right to a minimum 2-year legal conformity guarantee from the seller as from the delivery of new goods. In the case of second-hand goods, the guarantee period may not be less than 1 year.

However, if you were informed that the product you purchased had quality problems, you cannot then claim redress from the seller about those particular defects.

You will have the right to claim redress from the seller to repair the product, or replace it if repair is not a viable option. When repair and replacement are not possible, you may claim a price reduction or a refund from the seller (please note that in some countries, the sales contract cannot be cancelled if the fault is minor, e.g. a scratch on a CD case).

APPLICABLE LAW AND DISPUTE RESOLUTION

The Alibaba.com Transaction Services Agreement is subject to Hong Kong laws. Such choice does not deprive consumers of the protection afforded by mandatory provisions in the laws of the country of habitual residence, which means that you are entitled to any relevant rights under the laws of the country of your habitual residence.

Pursuant to the Alibaba.com Transaction Services Agreement, in case of a dispute regarding a transaction, if the dispute is not resolved through amicable negotiation within the prescribed time period according to the relevant transactional terms, you agree to submit the dispute to the platform for determination. If you are dissatisfied with the platform’s determination, you may apply to the Hong Kong Arbitration Centre for arbitration in accordance with said Transaction Services Agreement, except as otherwise stipulated under applicable law, i.e., this is without prejudice to any rights you may have under Article 18 of the Brussels I bis Regulation (OJ EU 2012 L351/1), which means that you may bring a claim regarding your statutory rights in the EU country in which you live, generally in the courts of the place where you are domiciled.

The European Commission maintains an online dispute resolution platform available at ec.europa.eu/consumers/odr.

JSmith

Master Contributor
You're both half correct... the laws apply to any product sold in or imported into the EU by an EU based buyer... however being able to actually apply these laws in another country, especially one that may not have trade agreements with the EU, is nigh impossible, so tends to negate the EU law. That said any company who values overseas business would be very stupid not to generally comply with these laws.

This thread has made it clear Aiyima is not prepared to back their own products. Having a "policy" not to replace faulty items is terrible business, especially such early failure.

OP, you should be demanding a replacement or full refund. There should be no sucking up or having to wait for a decision about a PS that cost them $10 to make.

JSmith

litemotiv

You're both half correct...

The claim @Joachim Herbert made was that there is no law to support it, and that is factually incorrect.

The laws are there and Aliexpress has committed to adhering to them, which includes potential lawsuits submitted in European courts. So that covers all the legal bases.

Whether it will be possible to enforce the law in all circumstances remains to be seen, but that is not the point of argument.

Like you said:

any company who values overseas business would be very stupid not to generally comply with these laws.

If they don't comply with EU law there will inevitably be consequences, and this could eventually turn into import bans. This has happened to other smaller Chinese companies before who did not comply with European law. But a big player like Alibaba/Aliexpress would obviously never let it come to that point.

(this is enough on the subject since it's getting offtopic! ;))

Top Bottom