• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Xbox Series X support for external DACs

Since Microsoft decided to drop the optical output, some users of that platform have been curious to know whether USB audio has been added.

It hasn't.

I received a new Series X today and spent some time confirming USB audio does not work on my Series X using a miniDSP 2x4HD as the test device.

There's no option to select the DAC for output in Audio settings, and no option to add a new Device in that section.

Two options for connecting a DAC at this time:
  1. HDMI optical extractor (HDMI to HDMI pass-through, with an optical output for extracted 2-channel audio)
    (BUT... big but right now... HDMI 2.1 speeds aren't supported by the current offerings)
  2. Connect Series X via HDMI to a TV which has an optical output for audio (this works currently)

Clockwork

Big let down for me, just spend an hour figuring out the same thing. Unfortunately I do not like using audio extractors as it creates input lag. Also my monitor does not have optical output. My day is ruined and my disappointment is immesurable

OP
F
Thread Starter #3
Adding some links for reference.

It appears to be a cash grab by Microsoft...

Any officially licensed Xbox One accessory that connects to your console wired or wirelessly via USB works on Xbox Series X|S.
( source - https://support.xbox.com/en-US/help/hardware-network/console/xbox-series-x-faq )

One example of a USB-connected audio device is the Astro Gaming's MixAmp Pro TR...
( source - https://blog.astrogaming.com/2020/09/xbox-series-x-and-playstation-5-compatibility/ )

Even though Astro's product page for this item currently states it doesn't work on the Series X, I suspect they'll be updating their site to reflect the added compatibility. A friend who owns the MixAmp Pro TR reported that it does indeed work via USB on the Series X after a firmware update.

Clockwork

Not surprised as the whole reason they got rid of optical output was to save a few $$. Thankfully I happen to have a astro mixamp laying around here somewhere so I will definitely be setting that up. Any possibility that they will release a firmware update in the future if enough people push for it?

wrigglycheese

1. Connect Series X via HDMI to a TV which has an optical output for audio (this works currently)
OMG does this really work ???? I thought it would end up using my HDTV as the DAC ?

I have my Series X connected via HDMI to my Sony HDTV and the optical out connected to nothing... Yet. Headphones plugged straight into controller :(:(:(

I have a DAC and AMP would i be better using the optical out of my HDTV straight into my external DAC then DAC to AMP ?

Last edited:
OP
F
Thread Starter #7
OMG does this really work ???? I thought it would end up using my HDTV as the DAC ?

I have my Series X connected via HDMI to my Sony HDTV and the optical out connected to nothing... Yet. Headphones plugged straight into controller :(:(:(

I have a DAC and AMP would i be better using the optical out of my HDTV straight into my external DAC then DAC to AMP ?
If you connect your DAC to your TV's optical output, there will be a setting in your TV's audio setup menu to enable digital audio out, and your external DAC is doing the conversion to analog. Sounds like you already have everything needed to test, so you've got nothing to lose. :)

wrigglycheese

If you connect your DAC to your TV's optical output, there will be a setting in your TV's audio setup menu to enable digital audio out, and your external DAC is doing the conversion to analog. Sounds like you already have everything needed to test, so you've got nothing to lose. :)
Thank you very much Sir

Top Bottom