• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Worst measuring loudspeaker?

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Those two peaks around 2 and 3kHz are significant, they may have pushed everything down in there to make them less prominent. Yes, I would think they could do better.
for a sale price of £70K they should be a lot better, I nearly fell over when I saw the price at the bottom of the page. I thought they'd be about £4K. Although I wouldn't pay that for them either. You could have 2 pairs of Kii3 with the bass modules and a fortnight in the Virgin Islands (jt's just a name btw) and still have change.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
for a sale price of £70K they should be a lot better, I nearly fell over when I saw the price at the bottom of the page. I thought they'd be about £4K. Although I wouldn't pay that for them either. You could have 2 pairs of Kii3 with the bass modules and a fortnight in the Virgin Islands (jt's just a name btw) and still have change.
Yes, well, I was trying to be tactful.

dshreter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
£70k Dali

You have to wonder what exactly are they thinking.
Keith
They were probably thinking this is the best crap we can come up with to compete with Focal Grande Utopia in the looks department. I can't imagine it had anything to do with what it actually sounds like.

This from the product description page is also comical. You shouldn't use it with a 2kW amp I guess?

1672771930183.png

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Perhaps not the worst, but limited bass extension and a £9900-11500 price tag.

Keith

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Elac Concentro S 503
1122elac.promo_.jpg
1122elac.lab1.jpg
1122elac.2.jpg

Lowther Almira

1222low.l1.jpg
1222low.llab1.jpg
1222low.lab2.jpg

This one probably takes first price.
I can already feel my eardrums shredding!

Seriously...would it kill them to EQ down those peaks?

Last edited:

Frewat

Elac Concentro S 503
1122elac.promo_.jpg
1122elac.lab1.jpg
1122elac.2.jpg

Lowther Almira

1222low.l1.jpg
1222low.llab1.jpg
1222low.lab2.jpg

This one probably takes first price.
There is a thread about the Elac Concentro S503 where I uploaded some in room measurements of them. I was available to borrow them home from a hifi store to test them.

I've returned them a couple of weeks ago. They seem to have some second order distortion problems as well in the crossover region of 2-3 khz.

As I wrote in the thread, I thought it was weird that the reviews where so praising of them when they measured like crap.

They sounded good but as someone else wrote in that thread, for that price, they should not be as flawed as they are in the objective measurements.

We need more people like Amir, EAC and Audioholics etc. Because the measurements are so flawed from alot of other audio relating websites.

It feels like there are alot of misinformation that are spreading because of poor measuring standards.

My measurements are flawed as well of course, but you can see that they measure like crap at 1m because of the coaxial design. At a longer distance, they measure better.

It feels like Elac could have done something about that, like KEF. Who knows, maybe it's because of the AMT?

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Frewat

The Elac was measured also from another magazine which confirms its very "special" tuning:

Elac_Concentro_S503_horizontal.jpg

Elac_Concentro_S503_vertikal.jpg

Elac_Concentro_S503_im_Raum.jpg

Source and more: https://www.i-fidelity.net/testberichte/high-end/elac-concentro-s-503/seite-6.html
And yet again, it's measured from 1m away. That's my point with my reply from the start. That not all manufacturers can do what KEF does and make them measure good at 1m, on axis, coaxial design.

I think hifi-voice is the best och the sites where these loudspeakers where reviewed and measured. Still flawed, but they got some more measurements at least.

Last edited:

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
And yet again, it's measured from 1m away. That's my point with my reply from the start. That not all manufacturers can do what KEF does and make them measure good at 1m, on axis, coaxial design.
The problems that most coaxials have due to symmetry disappear on other angles which are also measured on that review, the problem in this case is there are more severe problems also off axis, like tilted upper highs and not smooth radiation.

Frewat

The problems that most coaxials have due to symmetry disappear on other angles which are also measured on that review, the problem in this case is there are more severe problems also off axis, like tilted upper highs and not smooth radiation.
Can't the radiation be smooth at longer measured distances even if it's bad at 1m? If they would measure at 3m for an example, couldn't most problems except for the rised tremble problem be fixed?

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Can't the radiation be smooth at longer measured distances even if it's bad at 1m? If they would measure at 3m for an example, couldn't most problems except for the rised tremble problem be fixed?
Such problems won't change significantly on anechoical measurements at higher distances, only bafflestep and other lower frequency phenomena.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
D

Deleted member 48726

From a Lowther Almira test (Hifipig)

"
Value For Money:

£12,000 is not cheap, but the build quality alone makes it good value

"

:oops:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
From a Lowther Almira test (Hifipig)

"
Value For Money:

£12,000 is not cheap, but the build quality alone makes it good value

"

:oops:
Well, something about what happens to a fool and their money. It speaks volumes that Lowther didn't bother to toss in a few traps to suppress those peaks.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, something about what happens to a fool and their money. It speaks volumes that Lowther didn't bother to toss in a few traps to suppress those peaks.
They (Lowther) are also kind of trapped here if they want to make money , some people apparently adores these 1950's whizzer cone speakers and actual improvements would remove the horrible fr response resonances and other abominations magic :) So they must keep on going they are down in a hole and nowhere to go everything else is not Lowther house sound ? Funny part the "damage" actual multiway solutions and proper xover would do dwarfs compared these kind of results :D

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
They (Lowther) are also kind of trapped here if they want to make money , some people apparently adores these 1950's whizzer cone speakers and actual improvements would remove the horrible fr response resonances and other abominations magic :) So they must keep on going they are down in a hole and nowhere to go everything else is not Lowther house sound ? Funny part the "damage" actual multiway solutions and proper xover would do dwarfs compared these kind of results :D
I guess someone must like it. I wouldn't let it in the house.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I guess someone must like it. I wouldn't let it in the house.
I guess wasted craftmanship is a thing now :) the price probably also comes from equally 1950's manufacturing practice , I can imagine these drivers are handmade with painstaking care and effort and the cabinet carpentry is probably also top notch . to what end ? No i would not want them either maybe convert the cabinets to flower pot pedestals ?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I guess wasted craftmanship is a thing now :) the price probably also comes from equally 1950's manufacturing practice , I can imagine these drivers are handmade with painstaking care and effort and the cabinet carpentry is probably also top notch . to what end ? No i would not want them either maybe convert the cabinets to flower pot pedestals ?
The consensus among full-range aficionados is a TL is the best solution. If there's an acoustic labyrinth in there, that represents a bit of carpentry work. Still think they could splurge with a few traps.

Top Bottom