• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wilson Alexia V - 2023 Stereophile Speaker of the Year ???

Anton D

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Seemingly. And why is that? Something about speaker discussions almost always trend that way.
Speaker discussions have the most room for 'subjective' opinion, which is tough.

Also, they are the place with the widest range of variability...I think.

We have all this gear where distortion and other measurable phenomena are relatively smaller in scale and more readily delineated, then - BOOM!!! - we hit the speakers! (Clinking beers emoji.)

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
And they are placed with the greatest visibility.
Which wasn't always the case. ;)

1701470345770.png

1701470512195.png

1701470647852.png

1701470871131.png
1701471065687.png

1701471154380.png

Just a dog-gone minute!! How in tarnation did that last one get in here??? ;):cool::eek::facepalm:

All examples from the magnificent archives of https://www.worldradiohistory.com
... and specifically from their collection of Audio magazine (the daddy of 'em all!):

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Which wasn't always the case. ;)

View attachment 331026

Just a dog-gone minute!! How in tarnation did that last one get in here??? ;):cool::eek::facepalm:

All examples from the magnificent archives of https://www.worldradiohistory.com
... and specifically from their collection of Audio magazine (the daddy of 'em all!):
I lived through that and even owned a pair of Jansen TF-3 speakers, the full-figure predecessor of the TF-4. However, all the ones you illustrate are extremely visible although they are untypically slim, except for the Altec A7s which, btw, I owned as well. :)

Galliardist

Major Contributor
I think your giving Stereophile way to much credit. They choose equipment based on price and advertising revenue.
I can't find any advertising in the online edition, or in the couple of print issues I've seen recently, where that Audio Note "amplifier of the year" has provided advertising revenue, at least.

I in turn think you are giving Stereophile too little credit, and that we need to remind ourselves where we would be if it closed its doors tomorrow.

There has to be a relationship between the magazine and those who pay the bills, and with the bottom falling out of the print market generally. But it's not as simple as it asking "who advertises?". Apart from anything else, if you favour some advertisers too much over others, or show too much of a lack of integrity, those things will also lose you advertisers.

I do wonder about what Stereophile's mission is these days though.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I lived through that and even owned a pair of Jansen TF-3 speakers, the full-figure predecessor of the TF-4. However, all the ones you illustrate are extremely visible although they are untypically slim, except for the Altec A7s which, btw, I owned as well. :)
I was looking for the ones with the 'fine art' grilles -- but even I have my limits as to how much time I'll spend scouring the dark, dank corners of the internet for a bit of fun. ;)

there was always the Purloined Letter (or Fight Fire with Fire) approach to unobtrusiveness, too.

1701479862581.jpeg

source: https://hifi-wiki.com/images/e/e3/Pioneer_CS-05-Prospekt-2.jpg

The A7s are - and I am being diplomatic here - rather obtrusive obvious loudspeakers. :)
(I still love 'em, given a little TLC)

Last edited:

KellenVancouver

View attachment 331063

The A7s are - and I am being diplomatic here - rather obtrusive obvious loudspeakers. :)
Okay, now that was funny: "Cavalier Kitten 2000 Series." It is even funnier as a speaker. Marketing genius number one decided it would be a great idea if a speaker doubled as a chair/footstool, and then marketing genius number two thought "Cavalier Kitten" had to be the perfect name.

1701488798578.png

Anton D

Okay, now that was funny: "Cavalier Kitten 2000 Series." It is even funnier as a speaker. Marketing genius number one decided it would be a great idea if a speaker doubled as a chair/footstool, and then marketing genius number two thought "Cavalier Kitten" had to be the perfect name.

View attachment 331064
Named for what your cat is gonna do to them.

DonR

Major Contributor
I was looking for the ones with the 'fine art' grilles -- but even I have my limits as to how much time I'll spend scouring the dark, dank corners of the internet for a bit of fun. ;)

there was always the Purloined Letter (or Fight Fire with Fire) approach to unobtrusiveness, too.

View attachment 331051

Fairly certain my parents had coffee tables in the 70s that looked like that.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
OK. I started this, and I am, of course, duly chagrined. :rolleyes:
I will add one final thought on the Empire matter*

Their marketing dep't understood at least one thing vis-a-vis their loudspeaker products.
Sex sells. ;)

Trigger advisory: Cheescake imagery below. You have been warned.
1701539376618.jpeg

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The number of components for sale also depends upon the number of components that have been purchased.
Keith
And the fact that members of this forum like the brand, perhaps?

Cbdb2

Major Contributor
I can't find any advertising in the online edition, or in the couple of print issues I've seen recently, where that Audio Note "amplifier of the year" has provided advertising revenue, at least.

I in turn think you are giving Stereophile too little credit, and that we need to remind ourselves where we would be if it closed its doors tomorrow.

There has to be a relationship between the magazine and those who pay the bills, and with the bottom falling out of the print market generally. But it's not as simple as it asking "who advertises?". Apart from anything else, if you favour some advertisers too much over others, or show too much of a lack of integrity, those things will also lose you advertisers.

I do wonder about what Stereophile's mission is these days though.
There mission is to make money pushing hi end garbage, same as all the other rags. Stereophile is devoid of any integrity, the ridiculous snake oil they push is the only proof anyone needs. Why would anyone take a reviewer seriously when they use there imagination more than there ears. I read some of there words and think there deaf, liars or both. These magazines are the worst thing thats happened to this hobby. Because of them we have $20k garbage speaker cables etc. The sooner these mags die the better.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
John Atkinson should be allowed to continue to post here though,
Keith

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor

Their marketing dep't understood at least one thing vis-a-vis their loudspeaker products.
Sex sells. ;)

How on earth is she going to change that record, ridiculous.
Keith

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Without looking I guess that most of the Genelecs for sale are 8x3x or smaller and maybe the smallest subs. People start with the smallest models because that's what they can afford or thinking that they are something else than what is being told in the specifications. And Genelec owners tend to upgrade to bigger Genelecs.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor

I owned that turntable and arm. While it is true that the dynamically-balanced arm will function in this inverted state, the turntable platter is held in place only by gravity. Unless they have modified the platter (and the motor) mountings in some way, this is probably the last picture taken of that young lady.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I owned that turntable and arm. While it is true that the dynamically-balanced arm will function in this inverted state, the turntable platter is held in place only by gravity. Unless they have modified the platter (and the motor) mountings in some way, this is probably the last picture taken of that young lady.
That's a gloomy thought! ;)
I am sure they rigged the platter -- even though gender equality wasn't yet a thing when that photo was attached. :oops:

Of course, now I'm having déjà vu (all over again) -- either you've shared that insight before here or someone else has, likely elsewhere. If the former is the case, my apologies for trotting that image out again! My bag of tricks is distressingly finite.

Sokel

Master Contributor

Sex sells. ;)

If these (spoiler) Grenadier are self powered by the means of the era there's no surprise that this girl needs no clothes,there's no need to translate everything as sex :cool::p

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That's a gloomy thought! ;)
I am sure they rigged the platter -- even though gender equality wasn't yet a thing when that photo was attached. :oops:

Of course, now I'm having déjà vu (all over again) -- either you've shared that insight before here or someone else has, likely elsewhere. If the former is the case, my apologies for trotting that image out again! My bag of tricks is distressingly finite.
Of course, that picture may have been taken with the turntable in the normal upright position...then turned 180.

Last edited:
Top Bottom