• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Worst measuring loudspeaker?

Palladium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You have to credit it with consistently terrible measurements no matter where you start: cabinet vibration, frequency response, step response and waterfall, all vying for the worst I've seen on Stereophile. Efficient though.

but_you_never_heard_it_yourself.txt

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
8000€ pair price passive full range loudspeaker with following measurements:

cube-audio-jazzon-lautsprecher-stereo-71378.jpg

Source: https://www.hifitest.de/test/lautsprecher-stereo/cube-audio-jazzon-21959
The full range crowd don't seem to care about the FR. Only occasionally do I see someone commenting on the ear-piercing shrieks at some frequencies.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Wow,

£6500 plus stands
Keith
Why do they hate 6.5kHz?

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I nominate the Escalante Design Fremont. Now long out of production, MSRP was $19K/pair in 2008:

These terrible measurements did not prevent this rapturous subjective review:

A quick Google search confirmed that there were still users/fans of these loudspeakers as recently as 2020...

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A quick Google search confirmed that there were still users/fans of these loudspeakers as recently as 2020...

You pay for convenience. Notching out the 4kHz saves the owner the trouble of notching it themselves.

lashto

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
8000€ pair price passive full range loudspeaker with following measurements:

cube-audio-jazzon-lautsprecher-stereo-71378.jpg

Source: https://www.hifitest.de/test/lautsprecher-stereo/cube-audio-jazzon-21959
many thanks, I was actually looking at those Nenuphars.

According to the manufacturer, the (latest) drivers actually measure quite well (for a full range). Looks like they did not think much about the cabinets.
With proper enclosures, the 10kHz area can be easily tamed with EQ/DSP and distortion looks reasonable too. But still, such measurements and prices...

Last edited:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
many thanks, I was actually looking at those Nenuphars.

According to the manufacturer, the (latest) drivers actually measure quite well (for a full range). Looks like they did not think much about the cabinets.
With proper enclosures, the 10kHz area can be easily tamed with EQ/DSP and distortion looks reasonable too. But still, such measurements and prices...
I'll note those graphs are 1/4 octave resolution. But yes, with enough EQ you can probably tame them.

lashto

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'll note those graphs are 1/4 octave resolution. But yes, with enough EQ you can probably tame them.
yeah I was looking at that, the manufacturer measurements are not exactly same. Vertical scale is also very different, hard to compare the graphs.
For €1000 I would try a pair, but they want €7000 for the only ones which measure ok-ish...

Last edited:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
yeah I was looking at that, the manufacturer measurements are not exactly same. Vertical scale is also very different, hard to compare the graphs.
For €1000 I would try a pair, but they want €7000 for the only ones which measures ok-ish...
It seems excessive.

lashto

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It seems excessive.
you are very nice :)

They go with the story of years of research and low count sales. The website looks ok, provides tech params and some measurements and I can ~understand that story too.

But wtf did they 'research for many years' when those drivers/enclosures have sudden, 10dB FR spikes and a 20+dB swing between lowest & highest points ?! Looks like I should forget about those drivers too. Sooo hard to find a reasonable single driver...

Last edited:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
you are very nice :)

They go with the story of years of research and low count sales. The website looks ok, provides tech data and some measurements and I can ~understand that story too.

But wtf did they 'research for many years' when those drivers/enclosures have sudden 10dB FR spikes and a 20+dB swing between lowest & highest points ?! Looks like I should forget about those drivers too. Sooo hard to find a reasonable single driver...
Marketing people say a lot of things. Sometimes they aren't entirely truthful ;)

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
And also measured in listening room, not anechoic/gated.

Considering how well a 20$ Peerless 9TC measures that makes it even more ridiculous.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Why do they hate 6.5kHz?
Most coaxials have a dip in the highs due to diffraction which is increased exactly on-axis due to the symmetry and mostly disappears though off-axis, current Genelec and KEF being rare exceptions.

lashto

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
talking about single drivers & horns, here's a good example for this thread. Comes from another bunch of full-range-driver 'geniuses': Voxativ

yours for only $30.000

Last edited:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Most coaxials have a dip in the highs due to diffraction which is increased exactly on-axis due to the symmetry and mostly disappears though off-axis, current Genelec and KEF being rare exceptions.
My 511s do something suimilar, probably for the same reason, although it's only a few dB at 2kHz.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
talking about single drivers & horns, here's a good example for this thread. Comes from another bunch of full-range-driver geniuses: Voxativ

yours for only $30.000
The best I've seen is putting a full range in a properly done transmission line. Still a bit choppy.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
talking about single drivers & horns, here's a good example for this thread. Comes from another bunch of full-range-driver geniuses: Voxativ

yours for only $30.000
I can beat that :p (and had the "pleasure" to listen to some of their models at audio shows)

lashto

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The best I've seen is putting a full range in a properly done transmission line. Still a bit choppy.
Seems so but I do not want another 'box'.

I did listen to open baffles a few times and liked that "openess". My idea was to put a full-range-driver on an open baffle and then use the receiver's DSP to fix the FR issues and crossover the SB at 80Hz. Easy said.
In practice, I just can't find a pair of reasonably good full range drivers below $1000. (more would be too expensive for such an experiment). Also there seem to be very little data/measurements about the distortion of the full range drivers

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Seems so but I do not want another 'box'.

I did listen to open baffles a few times and liked that "openess". My idea was to put a full-range-driver on an open baffle and then use the receiver's DSP to fix the FR issues and crossover the SB at 80Hz. Easy said.
In practice, I just can't find a pair of reasonably good full range drivers below $1000. (more would be too expensive for such an experiment). Also there seem to be very little data/measurements about the distortion of the full range drivers
The extreme low frequency cone motion in an open baffle will give you a lot of intermod, too.

Top Bottom