• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wilson Audio TuneTot Review (high-end bookshelf speaker)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 364 58.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 186 30.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 44 7.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 25 4.0%

• Total voters

DanielT

Major Contributor
What is better? Look at the in room response what could be improved? And again dont focus on the bass bump.

This design had a different approach then what we are used too. They lower directed sound in specific areas at 1-3k and fill it with indirect sound to make it balanced again. Hence the flat in room response.

A trick which seems to work quiet well in a reflective room if you read the different listening tests
Here we have someone who was thinking about the impact of the listening room on the speakers:

shot_2021-12-27_09-53-49.png

His 70's models, OA -5 Type 2 are now not very good speakers. It was based on a coveted sound ideal in the 70's, an ideal that is now hardly is in demand. Stig Carlsson worked all his life to create speakers adapted to the listening room, real living rooms, that is.:)

Edit:
But he 90s Carlsson OA-52.2 can still blow the socks off most speakers.I attach a picture of that model.:)

Attachments

• OA522-2.jpg
    OA522-2.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:

MrHifiTunes

And again the PIR is not enough to show a great loudspeaker design if like in this case the poor directivity is compensated with a poor on-axis/LW response.

And again, almost everything is objectively poor on this loudspeaker, even if it would cost one tenth, not to speak at its current price, on-axis/listening window, directivity, bass depth, bass distortion. I have no problem if someone likes its looks, voicing, company or whatever else, but trying to convince its objectively good really is just a joke.
What do you get from this poor directivity and poor on-axis? which compensate each other and make a textbook in-room curve?

In my opinion they reduce direct sound at specific frequencies and fill it will indirect sound to make it balance again.
This seems to work in reflective rooms.
For me it is not a coincides that this happen like that in this design.
This is what I try to understand

DWI

Then you better stop posting. We already know your point of view....it doenst help anyone

You can’t stop people grinding axes …

I was thinking people use all sorts of analogies, cars, watches, etc. How about sex? Could you choose a partner from measurements alone? And even if the measurements were great, have you ever been disappointed? Like speakers, it’s got a lot to do with in-room response. It’s an old cliche, but it works, because most of us have probably been there.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What do you get from this poor directivity and poor on-axis? which compensate each other and make a textbook in-room curve?

In my opinion they reduce direct sound at specific frequencies and fill it will indirect sound to make it balance again.
This seems to work in reflective rooms.
For me it is not a coincides that this happen like that in this design.
This is what I try to understand
As written many times compensating the on-axis FR to compensate directivity problems and get a similar FR at the listening position is not the same like getting it from a loudspeaker with smooth on-axis FR and directivity, the reason why also EQing of loudspeakers with poor directivity doesn't work as well. The reason is that our perception is more complex than just a steady state FR measured in a room, at higher frequencies we perceive more the direct sound, also if the reflected sound does not match it due to poor directivity, several problems happen like that imaging suffers. There is a reason that good loudspeaker engineers put a lot of effort in smooth directivity, otherwise you could just take any driver combination with low enough distortion and just EQ it to the desired FR at the LP.

MrHifiTunes

I think they do it because customers have unrealistic expectations - but that's the manufacturer's fault, historically. I can't blame them, since there's still a market for $200k+ floorstanders that audio publications still perpetuate as the A+ ideal audio standard when combined with your anti-green 300W reference amp, which I think at this stage we all know is pretty much bull as of 2010. There has been zero actualization in audiophile circles around the power of newer setup options.
When you take the sealed box response you are not far off. I guess the commercial guy had the final hand on this. Adding a 10% offset will be still OK in his book I guess.

aj625

People keep on justifying the $10k mess. How about using more sane price point speakers and then try to justify it's whatever shortcomings. The money you save can buy you a better source and amp. Isn't the source should be the cleanest and most transparent ? I mean why to have so much more expensive compromise ?

Last edited:

Crosstalk

So just to clarify, you’ve never heard any Wilson speaker either at a dealer (which is where they are sold) or anywhere else?
Do you think it’s necessary to listen to the Wilson audio before commenting here ? Do you think everyone who joins your side has listened it?

MrHifiTunes

As written many times compensating the on-axis FR to compensate directivity problems and get a similar FR at the listening position is not the same like getting it from a loudspeaker with smooth on-axis FR and directivity, the reason why also EQing of loudspeakers with poor directivity doesn't work as well. The reason is that our perception is more complex than just a steady state FR measured in a room, at higher frequencies we perceive more the direct sound, also if the reflected sound does not match it due to poor directivity, several problems happen like that imaging suffers. There is a reason that good loudspeaker engineers put a lot of effort in smooth directivity, otherwise you could just take any driver combination with low enough distortion and just EQ it to the desired FR at the LP.
I never said that I expect it to be the same as a design with smooth on axis FR. They have different balance between direct and indirect sound. I think it is not a good idea to EQ it to make it a smooth on axis FR and smooth directivity speaker.

DWI

There's something I do NOT want Amir to test before I get it.:)

Of course sex is used to sell products from audio to chocolate bars. The Cadbury’s Flake commercial was as close (very close) as you will get to oral sex on television. I’m sure there is someone who thinks you get that with every stick of Flake. Of course all they want you to do is buy the product and enjoy it. How many people have questioned, when buying a Flake, where is the blonde in a negligee? Some people may just buy a Flake as they are fed up with M&M’s and it is the nearest alternative.

However a product and a customer is connected, with or without marketing, a long term investment is not going to happen unless the customer likes the product. I very much doubt anyone tries every product in the candy store, or makes a decision based on the list of ingredients. Maybe @Crosstalk does.

DSJR

Major Contributor
Honestly the mistake some members here make is assuming everyone is looking for a flat and accurate sound like they are(myself included) , if that was the case tube amps, turntables and"warm sounding " speakers wouldn't exist.
Most audiophiles don't even care how the original recording sound, they just want a pleasing sound and to make ugly recordings sound nice on their system.
So i guess they're always gonna be a market for something like the TuneTot
I have to say I've had to come round to this way of thinking only in recent times, although I've fought it my entire career. Mind you, when I look at the UK upper mid-end stuff that all but took over our market back then in the early 80's, the sound and tech performance was more like a domestic PA system than anything pertaining to a more truthful presentation, yet we 'believed' in it religiously.

Anyway, this thread is all good news for the makers of this little speaker as we're all talking of the brand and giving it oxygen. In the same way younger ears used to like a WAH!!!!!!! kind of upper mid lifted presentation (NS10's weren't so bad close up to a wall you know and like these Wilsons no doubt, there's a lack of thickness and smear generally in the tone), the 'loudness switch' style of these review models probably appeals more to older ears more sensitive to harshness and I doubt they'd be listened to directly 'on axis' anyway.

Last edited:

Crosstalk

Do you think it’s necessary to listen to the Wilson audio before commenting here ? Do you think everyone who joins your side has listened it?
Hey buddy you did not answer my last question but you mentioned me in another post. Did you forget to answer this ?

Frgirard

Major Contributor
I never said that I expect it to be the same as a design with smooth on axis FR. They have different balance between direct and indirect sound. I think it is not a good idea to EQ it to make it a smooth on axis FR and smooth directivity speaker.
Have you noticed that this speaker has a passive filter? So compensation stories are blah blah. Focal aria 906. Why make a twist at a jeweler's price when you can make it simple at an ikea price? Audiophile trade.
I'll be curious how much margin this thing generates for the entire commercial chain.

DanielT

Major Contributor
Of course sex is used to sell products from audio to chocolate bars. The Cadbury’s Flake commercial was as close (very close) as you will get to oral sex on television. I’m sure there is someone who thinks you get that with every stick of Flake. Of course all they want you to do is buy the product and enjoy it. How many people have questioned, when buying a Flake, where is the blonde in a negligee? Some people may just buy a Flake as they are fed up with M&M’s and it is the nearest alternative.

However a product and a customer is connected, with or without marketing, a long term investment is not going to happen unless the customer likes the product. I very much doubt anyone tries every product in the candy store, or makes a decision based on the list of ingredients. Maybe @Crosstalk does.
Hm, but then women should like big fat speakers if ..?

Sorry I could not help it. , but is not the most said about these TuneTote at this point? Then it will be mostly waffle and mischief about other things then.:)

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I have to say I've had to come round to this way of thinking only in recent times, although I've fought it my entire career. Mind you, when I look at the UK upper mid-end stuff that all but took over our market back then, the sound and tech performance was more like a domestic PA system than anything pertaining to a more truthful presentation, yet we 'believed' in it religiously.

Anyway, this thread is all good news for the makers of this little speaker as we're all talking of the brand and giving it oxygen. In the same way younger ears used to like a WAH!!!!!!! kind of upper mid lifted presentation (NS10's weren't so bad close up to a wall you know and like these Wilsons no doubt, there's a lack of thickness and smear generally in the tone), the 'loudness switch' style of these probably appeals more to older ears more sensitive to harshness.
This is the hottest thread on ASR, i bet they sold more than a few pairs because of it

Crosstalk

I don’t judge speakers based on its parts or looks or brand name. Yeah of course performance matters to me, and Wilson audio despite having good ingredients is a product which tastes sour.

Top Bottom