• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Will ASR be measuring pianos?

H-713

Fact of the matter is that what makes an instrument good or bad is inherently subjective, because we aren't trying to create the same results. You don't always want a piano to sound the same, and the same goes for violin.

Furthermore... how the instrument feels to the artist can have a big impact on how they play. Even if a Stradivarius and a modern generic violin were functionally and scientifically exactly the same, an artist playing with a Stradivarius won't play the same as the modern generic. There's a whole psychological aspect that is very complicated.

When someone feels like they're using something special, they perform differently from when they feel like they're using a piece of crap, even if there is no realistic difference. This applies to many areas, from art to athletics. You can psych yourself out of creating a masterpiece in just the same way that you can psych yourself out of winning a sailboat race (and I've seen both happen more times than I care to admit).

Saidera

I think measuring the headphone amp of digital pianos and their inbuilt speakers might be possible, if the manufacturers would care to take action.

I'm thinking of the Kawai + Onkyo collaboration where the sense of depth in the sound of a grand piano with a large soundboard was achieved with a small digital piano e.g. CA98/99. Onkyo showed that by increasing the resolution with DIDRC, etc., a sense of air and depth can be created (in special listening/testing rooms). 'Electronic' pianos are often said to have an "electronic sound," but DSD brought out the "rawness and airiness" that is often referred to. Closer to a grand piano but not 100%.

Regarding DSD, query whether the use of AK4137EQ suggests that their samples are in PCM but during playback they convert it to DSD? Or perhaps some samples are originally in DSD but others are in PCM?

Also, why is Korg, one of three DSD champions, not incorporating DSD tech in their pianos?

Meanwhile DSD256 is used, according to Kawai James. Is this not going too far? Suddenly a digital piano becomes high end audiophile equipment with the inclusion of dual AK4490EQ or its descendants in current models. This sort of piano is less for performers and more for audiophile piano enthusiasts or something thereabouts.

Really, no other digital piano uses DSD or gives their audio tech more than a one liner mention.

The more speakers, the more electricity is used. For these pianos, key action and sound quality is a life or death matter.

Attachments

• onkyodsd.jpg
    onkyodsd.jpg
    295.2 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

nerdstrike

For my moved house too many times sins, I have a Roland LX15. I picked it for the key action being the best I could get my hands on.

It has a 6 channel spatial audio thing going on, with up-firing speakers in the top, and a seriously meaty sound bar underneath. It sounds excellent, including modelling of damper up resonance, cabinet effects and string thwack if you overdo it.

It's not like having a grand in the room, but it is pretty persuasive and can be moved. The heaviest part is 45 kg, as opposed to 200kg in a decent upright. I'm pretty sure I've saved most of the purchase price by now in removal and tuning costs.

There's a line in, so a suitably ambitious person could certainly test it as an active 3-way, but I suspect the directivity would be awful.

Top Bottom