• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PA and Studio Monitor speakers vs HiFi modified sound

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
...Bad reflections happen much less with PAs and studio monitors.
You'd really need some evidence of this. It might be true that bad reflections happen less in properly designed studios and mixing rooms, which use lots of absorption materials on the walls without concern for the aesthetics or the other residents of the house. But it would take a spinorama to know the directivity, and it would take knowing the directivity to support any statement about reflections. Many speakers sold as studio monitors, along with many sold for home use, have spectrally uneven directivity and reflections are therefore spectrally distracting. But even my cheapie (and not very good) Alesis Monitor Ones have wide-dispersion bi-radial horns (aka, waveguides) on the tweeters, and claim to be designed for near-field listening. In a reverberant room, reflections will abound with such a design.

Rick "not seeing the distinction other than in classification for marketing purposes" Denney

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Am I missing something here? I'm not sure how this has anything to do with the main point of the member who's post you quoted. What am I missing?
OP lumped PA/Monitors together.

Top Bottom