• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Ultra

Ze Frog

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm pretty sure the TV will convert the audio from 41 to 48 kHz which will degrade it a bit, yes. I will be using Toslink with my CD player, but yeah, you don't have that option. Except with a converter. I plan to switch from BlueSound Node, so connections seem pretty much the same.
Yeah, didn't really fancy sending through TV first then. So it's either Toslink or the HDMI sound output into a HDMI to USB adapter if the USB is a usable input. I'm quite surprised there is no coax input, yet a coax output, seems a little oddball.

rgruber

Digital audio ->WiiM Ultra->digital attenuation (DSP)->attenuated digital audio->USB/Toslink/Coax->DAC->analog

If this is the case, you'd loose the ability to run more than one input (like the provided phono) to your power amp. I guess it's really designed to use the internal DAC.

staticV3

Master Contributor
If this is the case, you'd loose the ability to run more than one input (like the provided phono) to your power amp. I guess it's really designed to use the internal DAC.
Why would you?

The WiiM Ultra's analog inputs are first digitized, then go through the same signal chain as audio streamed via the Internet.

You can run all of the WiiM Ultra's inputs to an external DAC or Amp.

rgruber

Ahh, so the RCA and Phono inputs aren't pass through? I guess they can't be if there's room correction.

So in that case it would work, though not sure how much benefit this would provide.

Why would you?

The WiiM Ultra's analog inputs are first digitized, then go through the same signal chain as audio streamed via the Internet.

You can run all of the WiiM Ultra's inputs to an external DAC or Amp.

Miguelón

USB out - what for? Is it better than optical to DAC?
Theoretically optical and coaxial may have clock interference with the DAC ones, and be slightly reduced in audio bit rate if use the software volume control. I don’t know if this will be audible or not.

My DAC has no optical input, so USB is the only way to go.

Graham849

Forum Donor

Ze Frog

Theoretically optical and coaxial may have clock interference with the DAC ones, and be slightly reduced in audio bit rate if use the software volume control. I don’t know if this will be audible or not.

My DAC has no optical input, so USB is the only way to go.
Seems like the USB is playback only going by the picture of the back and description. Be interesting to see though.

Joffy1780

Seems like the USB is playback only going by the picture of the back and description. Be interesting to see though.
The USB can be used for audio output as well as connecting a usb drive.

Ze Frog

The USB can be used for audio output as well as connecting a usb drive.
Nice, kind of makes sense to use the whole USB implantation if going to the trouble.

A question of you have more knowledge than I? If I use a HDMI to USB adapter, am I right in thinking quality is unaffected as HDMI is passing digital to the internal DAC?

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
If/when Amir reviews this, where should it go?

The WiiM Amp went in the amplifier section, and this is effectively a WiiM Pre (with a screen), so by that logic should go in the same place.

Or in the streamer section.

Or in the DAC section.

Or in the ‘Combination’ (DAC and headphone amp) section.

Ze Frog

If/when Amir reviews this, where should it go?

The WiiM Amp went in the amplifier section, and this is effectively a WiiM Pre (with a screen), so by that logic should go in the same place.

Or in the streamer section.

Or in the DAC section.

Or in the ‘Combination’ (DAC and headphone amp) section.
I guess streamer would be most likely, especially as for some strange reason people want to use an external DAC with this thing, can't quite fathom why, especially when we don't even know what chip this uses or how good it is yet.

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
I guess streamer would be most likely, especially as for some strange reason people want to use an external DAC with this thing, can't quite fathom why, especially when we don't even know what chip this uses or how good it is yet.

What we do know is that the Pro Plus was reviewed by Amir and measured as transparent, and that they’re saying this has a better DAC, so I’m with you, I don’t see why anyone would want to use an external DAC. Especially as it’s possible (though still not clear) that this may by-pass the sub out/bass management.

Indeed, quite the opposite. If I had separate digital sources, I’d be using digital out from them and the DAC in here.

Ze Frog

What we do know is that the Pro Plus was reviewed by Amir and measured as transparent, and that they’re saying this has a better DAC, so I’m with you, I don’t see why anyone would want to use an external DAC. Especially as it’s possible (though still not clear) that this may by-pass the sub out/bass management.

Indeed, quite the opposite. If I had separate digital sources, I’d be using digital out from them and the DAC in here.
I plan to use the internal DAC, effectively use this as a one box solution combined with a blu ray player connected to a pair of Genelec 8030c's, that's a mighty cheap killer system right there, oh, and a subwoofer.

holbob

Any remote info? I need a proper remote to integrate with harmony.

Overseas

Major Contributor
Don't see anything I need over my Wiiim Pro + Topping E50, except Room Correction (stereo only, no sw, no screen needed, no HDMI required and so on).
I guess I am just waiting for Ultra to surprise me somehow.

Top Bottom