• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Ultra

Ze Frog

Addicted to Fun and Learning

volteon

The 3,5“ display is a yolk.
How are you supposed to see anything meaningful sitting 2-4m away from the device?

Power Pop 23

Forum Donor
How are you supposed to see anything meaningful sitting 2-4m away from the device?

I don't know. I will be using my tablet. I view the touchscreen as a way to differentiate this unit for desktop use.

Ze Frog

I deleted the message.
I'll wait for the official data.
I'll see if it can be useful to me or not.
Wasn't calling you out, was just curious.

At first glance I was kinda wondering about a couple of things, one being coax out but no input. Luckily kind of a moot point for me as will be using a Sony UDP BD800 Blu-ray for CD transport which has a dedicated HDMI just for audio. Second, not a deal breaker but was hoping for XLR connections.

Yeah, definitely looking forward to seeing it reviewed here, I won't buy until it gets checked over by Amir or Erin.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator

Ze Frog

For me I only need to see volume if anything. Kind of glad it isn't a massive display. Sometimes it's nice to listen to music in a dark or candle lit room without loads of unnatural screen or LED light going on. Listening vin dark or low light is awesome, kind of allows the ears to be the primary sense at work.

Ze Frog

Anyone got any guesses for the thing they are going to announce releasing alongside?

staticV3

Master Contributor
If you wanted to use your own DAC with the Ultra and the Ultra is functioning as a pre-amp (controlling volume), how would that work?
Digital audio ->WiiM Ultra->digital attenuation (DSP)->attenuated digital audio->USB/Toslink/Coax->DAC->analog

lennyanders

Wasn't calling you out, was just curious.

At first glance I was kinda wondering about a couple of things, one being coax out but no input. Luckily kind of a moot point for me as will be using a Sony UDP BD800 Blu-ray for CD transport which has a dedicated HDMI just for audio. Second, not a deal breaker but was hoping for XLR connections.

Yeah, definitely looking forward to seeing it reviewed here, I won't buy until it gets checked over by Amir or Erin.
But you can't use that HDMI audio out from your BD player with the WiiM Ultra since it only accepts HDMI Arc and the HDMI audio out from the bd player isn't HDMI Arc.

Ze Frog

Apart from other things: is USB an input for external files or an output for a DAC?
I don't need the HDMI input without a pass-through output.
Ah, I see. Looks like Toslink is both in and out of that's any consolation. USB I'm guessing is likely input, as this should have upgraded DAC I'd imagine so probably banking on people using it. Could in be possible the USB could be both in and out?

Ze Frog

But you can't use that HDMI audio out from your BD player with the WiiM Ultra since it only accepts HDMI Arc and the HDMI audio out from the bd player isn't HDMI Arc.
Oh really, that's a bit of an annoyance.

Always Toslink I guess, or run HDMI from TV, but then doesn't the signal going through a TV first have the quality degraded somewhat?

Or, if USB is input, could I just use a HDMI to USB adapter and still get the quality of HDMI?

Last edited:

Esprit

Forum Donor
I need to be able to use an external DAC.
Obviously I'm also interested in knowing the price… ;)

lennyanders

Oh really, that's a bit of an annoyance.

Always Toslink I guess, or run HDMI from TV, but then doesn't the signal going through a TV first have the quality degraded somewhat?
I'm pretty sure the TV will convert the audio from 41 to 48 kHz which will degrade it a bit, yes. I will be using Toslink with my CD player, but yeah, you don't have that option. Except with a converter. I plan to switch from BlueSound Node, so connections seem pretty much the same.

Top Bottom