• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Pro - Review & Measurements (Streamer)

s9_0d1n

I thought the same in the beginning.
Then I bought PRO+
- remote
- better DA conversion
- better AD conversion (24-192)
- probably better/different internal PSU part - power consumption is 2 times higher
- maybe I will buy something else in future and this one can be used in other room with analog out
- better chance to sell it later
But everybody should decide himself.
- remote - exists for the PRO as well
- better DA conversion - why is it relevant if people stay in the digital domain?
- better AD conversion (24-192) - why is it relevant if people stay in the digital domain?
- probably better/different internal PSU part - power consumption is 2 times higher - the AD - DA convertors are better and probably consume more energy.

My summary is...if you buy it now ... and you need a DAC, go PRO +.
If you already have PRO and / or you don't use the DAC portion...just keep your device and save your money.
I'll be keeping the PRO ... and if / when I need extra rooms added I'll consider the needs then.
But as is...the RME ADI 2 is a way better DAC than the WIIM (any version of it) will ever be.
OK, that's maybe too strong a statement, maybe in 10 years they will come up with something better, but ... better than transparent + a ton of features?
I won't hold my breath :D
If you are staying digital, absolutely no point in the Plus over the pro
Completely agree!

withoutsuit

The Output of the WIIM can be set to different resolutions. Does I make always up-/downsampling to the resolution set? I'd prefer the output with the resolution of the source material, so e.g. when 44,1khz is streamed then 44,1khz, when 192khz then 192khz and so on.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The Output of the WIIM can be set to different resolutions. Does I make always up-/downsampling to the resolution set? I'd prefer the output with the resolution of the source material, so e.g. when 44,1khz is streamed then 44,1khz, when 192khz then 192khz and so on.
It does not up sample. If the source is say 16/44, it will output 16/44. Its output set "up to" the chosen frequency. So that 24/192 will output 24/192.

Not sure it it down samples though. Say if you play 24/352 into the output set to 24/96, it down samples to 24/96. I believe it does.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
The app just states you set the ‘maximal’ sample rate and bit depth , then test ( there is a test button with tune) your device to make sure it can play that resolution.
Keith

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
It does not up sample. If the source is say 16/44, it will output 16/44. Its output set "up to" the chosen frequency. So that 24/192 will output 24/192.

Not sure it it down samples though. Say if you play 24/352 into the output set to 24/96, it down samples to 24/96. I believe it does.
Sometimes it will upsample, sometimes it will downsample. For example it upsamples any content to 48 kHz in multiroom scenario if source is sampled at 44.1 kHz. It downsamples any content from the local network if its sample rate is higher than a maximum defined on the digital output.

Jazz

Do the WiiMs work with HomeKit? I just noticed that the Belkin Soundform Connect does. Which means voice control and other integrations with HomeKit.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
Do the WiiMs work with HomeKit? I just noticed that the Belkin Soundform Connect does. Which means voice control and other integrations with HomeKit.
The Belkin device uses the same internal module as WiiM's parent company Linkplay uses in the WiiMs, so draw your own conclusions.

att007

Hi Guys,
Is anybody know if that high noise floor has been sorted when you use fixed volume+eq? VintageFlanker said in the measurement that this could be sorted in firmware update... I haven't read through the internet yet if Wiim followed this up, or not yet
Thanks in advance!

Bamyasi

Is it just me or indeed UHD/HD toggle was removed from the Amazon Alexa Settings menu on WiiM Home app (Android) with the latest update? HD/UHD casting from the Amazon Music app seems to be working fine though, just as before (according to my DAC's display). I also noticed that EQ was enabled and set to Custom in the app. It was certainly disabled before the update. Actually, it was enabled on each of my Android devices after the WiiM Home app was updated today. I had to go over all of my phones and tablets and disable it.

WiiM Pro Firmware Version 4.8.534064
App Version 2.7.1.231113.480c83 (Android)

Smitty2k1

New Wiim Pro owner here - just upgraded from the Mini, bought a used one direct from Linkplay ebay for $100. I mostly bought it for the native LMS support instead of using the UPNP bridge. But now that I have it I'm playing around with EQ a bit too. I have two questions:

1) is there a way to "fine tune" the graphic EQ settings in the app? As is, dragging the slider it's hard to get an exact value (i.e. matching another user's EQ values). For the PEQ it's possible to direct enter the value you want, but GEQ seems to be just dragging sliders.
2) Is it confirmed Wiim "fixed" the issue of using EQ along with fixed volume output that was clipping/distorting?

Thanks!

trigovina

Is there anyone who uses wiim pro with universal remote or something else? I also use homatics box r 4k plus but i couldn’t adjust the remote of box for wiim pro. Do you have any advice?

caviedes55

New Wiim Pro owner here - just upgraded from the Mini, bought a used one direct from Linkplay ebay for $100. I mostly bought it for the native LMS support instead of using the UPNP bridge. But now that I have it I'm playing around with EQ a bit too. I have two questions:

1) is there a way to "fine tune" the graphic EQ settings in the app? As is, dragging the slider it's hard to get an exact value (i.e. matching another user's EQ values). For the PEQ it's possible to direct enter the value you want, but GEQ seems to be just dragging sliders.
2) Is it confirmed Wiim "fixed" the issue of using EQ along with fixed volume output that was clipping/distorting?

Thanks!
Hello!
Respecting to 1): I am not an expert but hope it can help:

Respecting to 2): I also want to know news!!

Regards

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
The Graphic EQ is adjustable in .1 dB increments, slider only though.
Keith

Overseas

Major Contributor
Not complaining but noticing: no coaxial input, that would have served me to route a cd player digital source to benefit from PEQ.
Can I do that with the analog input of Wiim, any limitation vs. going digital as described above?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Not complaining but noticing: no coaxial input, that would have served me to route a cd player digital source to benefit from PEQ.
Can I do that with the analog input of Wiim, any limitation vs. going digital as described above?
Analog would add one additional D->A and A->D conversion to your chain.
It probably won't affect sound quality, but there is an inexpensive way to keep it digital: a Coax to Toslink converter:
81wocQ3uO0L.jpg

They're inexpensive little boxes that convert one to the other.

Overseas

Major Contributor
Did it analog way, I can feel the PEQ effect, only DAC shows 48.0 though source is a CD.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Did it analog way, I can feel the PEQ effect, only DAC shows 48.0 though source is a CD.
DAC doesn't know what the source is since it's analog.
I'm not sure if you can configure the sample rate of the WiiM's ADC. Might just be fixed at 48kHz. Not that that's a bad thing tbh.

longma

I just hookup a Pro to SU1 through Optical and listened to some music from my phone ( from CDs). Note that i connect to the Pro through Wifi. I was disappointed. The same music sounds much much better from my phone to BlueDento BT receiver to SU1. Do i miss anything?
The source is connected to SMSL A300 amp.

Top Bottom