• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Pro - Review & Measurements (Streamer)

hpp8140

Too bad, I was hoping to replace my Fiio D3 DAC with the Wiim Pro and use it as a streamer instead of PlayFi in my AMP.

TV > Fiio D3 optical input > Paradigm PW AMP (Play-Fi) analog input
TV > Wiim Pro optical input > Paradigm PW AMP (Play-Fi) analog input

OP
VintageFlanker

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Too bad, I was hoping to replace my Fiio D3 DAC with the Wiim Pro and use it as a streamer instead of PlayFi in my AMP.

TV > Fiio D3 optical input > Paradigm PW AMP (Play-Fi) analog input
TV > Wiim Pro optical input > Paradigm PW AMP (Play-Fi) analog input
Not sure the WiiM Pro DAC is that much worse than the Fiio D03. In fact, I think that the first is actually... better.;)

That's a shame that the Paradigm PW doesn't have any S/PDIF input...

hpp8140

Not sure the WiiM Pro DAC is that much worse than the Fiio D03. In fact, I think that the first is actually... better.;)

That's a shame that the Paradigm PW doesn't have any S/PDIF input...

yeah I agree, it's a unique device great on sale. I hope Anthem give it another go, to add optical and ditch PlayFi for Chromecast (even though it doesn't support hi-res).

Romario

Maximum volume to stay safe from DRC is 59% when a gain +12 dBFS is used.

Threshold seemed to be somewhere between -1.2 and -1.1 dBFS, I don't remember exactly.
I think nobody will add 12 db on a frequency compared to another eq band. I don't think a speaker is designed to cope with that. And in total you can have a delta of 24! That's not something I would know an application for.

But the numbers are quite helpfull. Lowering the volume from 95% with approximately 3% per db gain in the eq settings, or put the maximum gain to - 1.2 db and adjust the rest accordingly and crank up the connected amplifier volume when needed.
So, thank you very much for explaining this. Much appreciated. I like this thread!

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Is @amirm dead ‽ People gonna miss this review (and ASR BTW) by his inaction.
I might as well be dead. Have over 70 unread messages in my inbox. Project after project piled up. Too many measurements performed that I can't yet publish.. Worst it has ever been as far as personal and ASR workload....

OP
VintageFlanker

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Very nice work as always. Promoted to home page.
Many thanks, @amirm !

I might as well be dead. Have over 70 unread messages in my inbox. Project after project piled up. Too many measurements performed that I can't yet publish.. Worst it has ever been as far as personal and ASR workload....
Knowing @Niconoclaste as a French fellow, I'm sure he wasn't mean at all. Maybe a French joke that doesn't sound as good once translated. ;)

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Verge recently posted an article featuring this device that I think most of us can relate to. It pretty much follows the journey I have been on for the past 6 years to get a simple streaming endpoint at an affordable price that isn't a Raspberry Pi that I need to build myself. I feel so "seen" by this article. :)

Also there is a shout out to Audio Science Review in the article.:)

Cincyret

I've commented on another thread. Here's a recap:
1) I had an incompatibility with my Sony TV and WiiM (crackling). Reported it to WiiM (using their app). It was fixed within a month (they had to buy a Sony!).
2) I only stream Qobuz (Ethernet in, Coax out to DACs). I've had no problem with Hi-res. Wish Qobuz would release "Qobuz Connect" software.
3) Had a problem with low volume output (everything in the digital chain is at 100% untill the DAC). Wiim Settings...Audio Settings... Changed "Fixed volume output" from "OFF" to "ON". This fixed the problem.
4) EQ: I use my miniDSP Flex for EQ.
5) I agree with the point about no LDAC, but I only use Bluetooth to play Audible Audio Books. I get louder sound when streaming to the Wiim than when streaming to either the Flex or my Topping EX5 (I only use the EX5 for headphones) so I don't mind the tradeoff.

All in all, the WiiM Pro solved my streaming/connection problems & my experience with WiiM customer support was great. All for only $149!

Harryharryharry

Great review.

The most interesting feature for me is the spdif input.

Does anyone know if you need to do anything on the app to change the input from steaming audio to optical input?

Would be amazing for it to automatically switch between TV and Music!

Romario

Great review.

The most interesting feature for me is the spdif input.

Does anyone know if you need to do anything on the app to change the input from steaming audio to optical input?

You have to select the input and output manually in the app, except when returning the input to ethernet, that will run automatically. The light switches to green when digital input is selected.

Harryharryharry

You have to select the input and output manually in the app, except when returning the input to ethernet, that will run automatically. The light switches to green when digital input is selected.
Damn that's a shame. @WiiM Support if you add an automatically input selection feature I'll buy one!

OP
VintageFlanker

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's not automatic. Unfortunately, you have to switch inputs manually:
Screenshot_20230219-170334~2.png

Except for Wi-fi and Chromecast that are automatically selected once playing.

Max_32

I have been considering the streamer. I want to hook it up to an integrated amp which has a dac. I plan on streaming Amazon music. I have a USB connector coming out of my integrated, which I usually hook up to my laptop to stream Amazon music. Does anybody think I will notice a difference for the better between the streamer and my laptop?

morillon

Major Contributor
I think nobody will add 12 db on a frequency compared to another eq band. I don't think a speaker is designed to cope with that. And in total you can have a delta of 24! That's not something I would know an application for.

But the numbers are quite helpfull. Lowering the volume from 95% with approximately 3% per db gain in the eq settings, or put the maximum gain to - 1.2 db and adjust the rest accordingly and crank up the connected amplifier volume when needed.
So, thank you very much for explaining this. Much appreciated. I like this thread!
you are on the wrong track...
if we consider this 95 is in "flat" eq mode which makes no sense ...
if the +12db was huge just for demonstration.. I invite you to observe for example the presets of wiim.. you will observe boosts up to 6-7db or even often in the bass etc... no more this 1db of precaution...

so it's an opportunity to observe to what level to lower, a little on a case-by-case basis..
how much a +1db at 2, at 3 at 4 at 5 at 6 at 7,
by adding the famous 1.5db.
afterwards, if it was systematically by lowering a level .. it will be without problems and will allow the drc to be disengaged (option which is not offered)!

I'm not concerned but could be of use to anyone who wants to use this eq mode as it is

eddantes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You need an assistant... 'haps there's a cat about? :cool:

Romario

you are on the wrong track...
if we consider this 95 is in "flat" eq mode which makes no sense ...
if the +12db was huge just for demonstration.. I invite you to observe for example the presets of wiim.. you will observe boosts up to 6-7db or even often in the bass etc... no more this 1db of precaution...

so it's an opportunity to observe to what level to lower, a little on a case-by-case basis..
how much a +1db at 2, at 3 at 4 at 5 at 6 at 7,
by adding the famous 1.5db.
afterwards, if it was systematically by lowering a level .. it will be without problems and will allow the drc to be disengaged (option which is not offered)!

I'm not concerned but could be of use to anyone who wants to use this eq mode as it is
95 - 59 = 36 % for 12 db. That's 3% volume reduction per db if you increase the eq settings. So not case by case as I see it. Maybe it's better to lower the eq but I touched that option too, at least in my own words.

Top Bottom