• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Pro - Review & Measurements (Streamer)

ENG

Forum Donor
Hello VintageFlanker, thank you for the review - great - also your personal remarks, which are grounded on
measurement !
I wish we could get the item here in EU.

Overseas

Major Contributor
Re. WIFI vs. Ethernet - my experience is that, if you power off the device when connected to Ethernet, then unplug the cable - bad luck - output remains captive to Ethernet input, you have no way to switch to WIFI. Is it a bug ?

And a general question: was there a measured device (streamer) that DOES NOT measure well for the WIFI - SPDIF out scenario ?!

symphara

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thank you for the review, looks great as a little streamer!

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
Really good job, nice to read it. Congratulations.
One question though - is your published chromecast measure the one after FW update? Yours here is slightly worse than the one from WiiM app but mine was exactly the same, no difference at all.

OP
VintageFlanker

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If I look at "www.amazon.de" there is no Wiim Pro for sale.
I bought mine here:
179€ shipped. But it appears to be out of stock right now...:confused:

@Audiophonics has also listed it, but availability is now planned for the end of March.

is your published chromecast measure the one after FW update?
Oh, I forgot that part.:facepalm: Yes, as stated, the one you see in the review is after the last update. Here is what it looked like before the update:
44.1kHz & 96kHz.
REW FFT Chromecast Roon.jpg

How did you measure Chromecast, to get the same plot as WiiM Home input?

Last edited:

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
How did you measure Chromecast, to get the same plot as WiiM Home input?

I've used LMS and chromecast bridge plugin. I've just repeated my test to be sure I didn't make any mistake before, and I got exactly the same results again.

I got this
1677147278509.png

just after the WiiM's release but since the latest FW update my test results show perfect transparency.

Last edited:

Brantome

Major Contributor
Hope they will restock soon. It was 180 euro + 6 euro shipping to East Europe.
The WiiM website says they’re hoping to have stock in the EU/UK by March 5th viz. “Due to the shipment delay, WiiM Pro is out of stock on our Amazon Europe (DE, FR, IT, SP) listings. It'll be back to stock around March 5th. including our UK listing. Please stay tuned! “

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
Sure, as with literally any analyzer on Earth, it may impact measurements... Yet, what exactly is the "strong processing" you're talking about ?
I think he had meant the fact that some digital measurements are meaningless with DACs like ADI-2 because ot strong jitter rejection / reclocking to the internal clock and so on. This way you would get exactly the same jitter results for Mini and Pro, but you could see clear difference when measuring on ASRC device like miniDSP Flex.

BioMedTechGuy

For TIDAL usage, chrome cast Vs the Wiim app,
I read your earlier reply, about Tidal Connect through the WiiM app sounding "snappier" but I have a concern. I have been opening the Tidal app, connecting through the Chromecast feature and opening the WiiM app, which I also have set to "MQA beta" On (to do the first unfold of MQA). Am I understanding that depending on which app is on my phone's screen is affecting how the audio signal (music) is processed or "heard"?

morillon

Major Contributor
I think he had meant the fact that some digital measurements are meaningless with DACs like ADI-2 because ot strong jitter rejection / reclocking to the internal clock and so on. This way you would get exactly the same jitter results for Mini and Pro, but you could see clear difference when measuring on ASRC device like miniDSP Flex.
;-)

Brantome

Major Contributor
I read your earlier reply, about Tidal Connect through the WiiM app sounding "snappier" but I have a concern. I have been opening the Tidal app, connecting through the Chromecast feature and opening the WiiM app, which I also have set to "MQA beta" On (to do the first unfold of MQA). Am I understanding that depending on which app is on my phone's screen is affecting how the audio signal (music) is processed or "heard"?
My understanding is that only the use of Tidal Connect allows the first MQA unfold to take place on the WiiM device, so yes, you may hear a difference by playing it by any other means.

amadeuswus

Forum Donor
Many thanks for putting the Pro through its paces. Would some of the Pro's technical problems be fixable by firmware updates (if WiiM were inclined), or are these really hardware issues?

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
Many thanks for putting the Pro through its paces. Would some of the Pro's technical problems be fixable by firmware updates (if WiiM were inclined), or are these really hardware issues?
EQ distortions issue is definitely fixable by FW update. Most if not all analog flaws are probably not.

BioMedTechGuy

Yea, I too need a 'Wtf is Chromecast and how does it impact my sound - for dummies'.
My understanding is that only the use of Tidal Connect allows the first MQA unfold to take place on the WiiM device, so yes, you may hear a difference by playing it by any other means.
Actually the Chromecast Audio device is how I first resolved the challenge of how to get my streaming services from my Android phone IN to my audio equipment. I bought a nice used unit (for $50) and I enjoyed what I had, but in the process I learned of the WiiM mini pro and I got one of those a week ago.
Let me revise my question:
If the WiiM Home app is on my screen but the Tidal app is also connected via Chromecast, am I using the Tidal Connect or Chromecast "route"?

Brantome

Major Contributor
Actually the Chromecast Audio device is how I first resolved the challenge of how to get my streaming services from my Android phone IN to my audio equipment. I bought a nice used unit (for $50) and I enjoyed what I had, but in the process I learned of the WiiM mini pro and I got one of those a week ago.
Let me revise my question:
If the WiiM Home app is on my screen but the Tidal app is also connected via Chromecast, am I using the Tidal Connect or Chromecast "route"?
I’m not a Tidal user, but if you’re using Chromecast, you’re not using Tidal Connect - see this link where Connect capable devices appear separately from Chromecast capable devices in the Tidal app target device list ( your WiiM Pro may appear twice on such a list as it supports both). Also, when you use Tidal Connect, the WiiM app is just a window into what’s playing and isn’t controlling the stream, it’s just viewing.

Top Bottom