• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Pro Plus Streamer Review

Rate this streamer/DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 60 17.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 272 80.0%

• Total voters

copperblue

Hi folks,
I've been looking here for a while, it's my first message.
I plan to get the Wiim Pro plus to connect it to my Yamaha R-n803D (a musiccast amplifier from 2019).
In addition to the equalizer that I plan to use for my speakers, can I expect a gain in quality (like level of detail, clarity) with streaming services comparing to my amp ?
Hi.
If you are using the analogue line out from the WiiM into a spare line level input (CD etc) on the Yamaha set the line out level from the Wiim to 800mV or less to avoid clipping the Yamaha input. Don't ask me how I know this...

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’ve got one of these to play with and I do :)

The question how does the volume control and PEQ/EQ go together ?

In other PEQ solutions there is usually a preamp gain you can set to a negative dB value to protect against clipping .

What happens if I set all eq levels to the max and use fixed volume at 100% ?

Will it clip horrendously ? Or does figure this out internally and sets a safety margin based on your settings.

I could ofcourse set all EQ on the negative side and adjust them relatively to each other .

But this approach does not work for PEQ ?

Then you have to adjust the master volume who is in percentage ? How to know the dB vs percent scaling in this product? It’s surely not linear and follows som logarithmic curve ?

staticV3

Master Contributor

In other PEQ solutions there is usually a preamp gain you can set to a negative dB value to protect against clipping .

Will it clip horrendously ? Or does figure this out internally and sets a safety margin based on your settings.

I could ofcourse set all EQ on the negative side and adjust them relatively to each other .

Then you have to adjust the master volume who is in percentage ? How to know the dB vs percent scaling in this product? It’s surely not linear and follows som logarithmic curve ?
I don't have a WiiM (yet), so can't give any concrete answers.

Even if I had, with how frequently WiiM updates their products' firmwares, adding more functionality and refining existing features, I think any answer could quickly become outdated.

So instead, I would highly recommend you buy a Hifime UR23, with which you can answer all of your questions yourself, using free and easy to use software like Room EQ Wizard and Multitone Analyzer.

Simply export a measurement sweep as .wav, stream it to your WiiM connected via Optical and the UR23 to your PC, and measure its output with all kinds of volume and EQ configurations to see what works and what doesn't.

Last edited:

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't have a WiiM (yet), so can't give any concrete answers.

Even if I had, with how frequently WiiM updates their products' firmwares, adding more functionality and refining existing features, I think any answer could quickly become outdated.

So instead, I would highly recommend you buy a Hifime UR23, with which you can answer all of your questions yourself, using free and easy to use software like Room EQ Wizard and Multitone Analyzer.

Simply export a measurement sweep as .wav, stream it to your WiiM connected via Optical and the UR23 to your PC, and measure its output with all kinds of volume and EQ configurations to see what works and what doesn't.
Amazing device I already have REW :)

Joffy1780

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Brantome

Major Contributor

See this and related comments

Post in thread 'PEQ talk'
https://forum.wiimhome.com/threads/peq-talk.1500/post-27059

Calor

But this Yamaha amp has YPAO and streaming services... Why add a Wim Pro Plus whose best performances on paper are not necessarily audible compared to those native to this amplifier...
I haven't found any information on the subject (I mean = if an external streamer give a different sound from the mussicast system onboard), I will test it myself with the upcoming acquisition of this streamer (Wiim Pro Plus) and I'll compare it in real conditions.
Thanks to everyone who responded

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just ordered the Pro Plus, it will replace a RPi with Moode/Spotify and a MiniDSP Flex which is needed more on my desk.
RCA out and Trigger out go to the Yamaha A-S1200 amp.
Cambridge Duo phono preamp to RCA in.
CD to coax in.
TV to Optical in.
A room mode will be corrected with one, the slight droop in the treble of my Lintons with a second PEQ.
Adding the subwoofers will be a bit harder than with the Flex, but i'll manage.

A question about the bluetooth, can i connect my tablet as a source to it, or is this just for headphone output?

Joffy1780

I just ordered the Pro Plus, it will replace a RPi with Moode/Spotify and a MiniDSP Flex which is needed more on my desk.
CD to coax in.
TV to Optical in.
A room mode will be corrected with one, the slight droop in the treble of my Lintons with a second PEQ.

A question about the bluetooth, can i connect my tablet as a source to it, or is this just for headphone output?
You can connect a Bluetooth source, yes, but it doesn't support LDAC/APTX.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That would still be better than the tablet speakers. ;-)

Joffy1780

That would still be better than the tablet speakers. ;-)
Depending on the tablet and what app you're using, you'd most likely have a better option in DLNA or Airplay as well.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Depending on the tablet and what app you're using, you'd most likely have a better option in DLNA or Airplay as well.
Right. I'll give that a go too.

"supported exclusively through the WiiM Home app on iOS devices"
Android users get 4 PEQs. Apple users get 10 PEQs and automatic room correction. :facepalm:

staticV3

Master Contributor
Android users get 4 PEQs. Apple users get 10 PEQs and automatic room correction. :facepalm:
Automatic room correction being a feature exclusive to iOS makes sense, as only then can WiiM guarantee that everyone is using the same mics.

It's the same reason why RoomCurve only exists on iOS.

If they released automatic room correction for Android, they'd get tons of customer complains because some random Android phone's mic didn't record the in-room response properly.

The 10-band PEQ will be added to Android before long.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The 10-band PEQ will be added to Android before long.
I hope so. I have to wonder why they didn't start that way and push it out into the devices and then add Apple only stuff.

CT Man

CD to coax in.
TV to Optical in.

I think the WiiM Pro Plus coax is out -- it only has analog RCA or optical as cabled sources. It's Bluetooth both receives and transmits, but only SBC and AAC. You'd get much better quality using a computer, phone or tablet as a wireless source with apps supporting Chromecast or Airplay 2. You can only get SBC or AAC quality receiving audio through Bluetooth headphones or speakers.

AaronJ

I will admit that while about 99% of what I listen to is vinyl, I do still very much like the Wiim Pro+ and found an even more valuable use case for my needs. In addition to the occasional streaming, I'm now using the Wiim to stream vinyl from my main listening space to the Sonos speaker in the kitchen. I have a MiniDSP Flex in the pre-out/main-in loop of my integrated amp. I also have the Wiim's RCA-out into one of my integrated amp's inputs. I inserted a RCA switcher between the pre-out and the MiniDSP to allow to send the amp's pre-out through to the RCA-in on the Wiim, and then stream it over wi-fi to the Sonos speaker. Connectivity is rock solid and I'm a very happy camper listening to Randy Holden while I cook. Overall I can't say enough positive things about the Wiim.

Adaboy4z

I returned my Wiim Pro for two reasons. One of my favorite Net Radio stations DHR could not be streamed using my premium subscription. The owner of DHR confirmed that it could not. The biggest decision was my 55 inch tv. I had my laptop connected to my dac and HDMI out to the tv so I could see Tidal, DHR and Radio Paradise in 55 inch glory. The companion app was just to small to display everything I wanted to see.

Overseas

Major Contributor
Right. I'll give that a go too.

"supported exclusively through the WiiM Home app on iOS devices"
Huh?!
Room correction only for iOS?! Why did they not say that much earlier?

Top Bottom