• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wiim Pro Plus with turntable

t3gav

My 1st post so Hi! I'm relatively new to this so excuse the noob questions :/ I'm looking at buying a Wiim Pro Plus when they are released in the UK as I don't currently own a streamer or DAC. I currently have a Rega Planar 1 and Fono Mini connected to my Sony AVR however I notice the Wiim Pro will accept a connection from the turntable no? Am I better off using the Wiim or the Fono Mini as the pre amp? Thanks :)

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
My 1st post so Hi! I'm relatively new to this so excuse the noob questions :/ I'm looking at buying a Wiim Pro Plus when they are released in the UK as I don't currently own a streamer or DAC. I currently have a Rega Planar 1 and Fono Mini connected to my Sony AVR however I notice the Wiim Pro will accept a connection from the turntable no? Am I better off using the Wiim or the Fono Mini as the pre amp? Thanks :)
Hello and welcome! I'm not sure, but I think the Wiim Pro Plus input is line-level only (e.g. tuner, cassette, CD player). The Fono Mini outputs a line level signal which would work into a Wiim Pro Plus. The output from your turntable (without the Fono) would probably be too low level and need something called RIAA correction (which your Fono does). HTH

bobster

If you wanted to bypass the receiver, Amir reviewed and recommended the three phono preamps below which are $150 or less. I'm considering the Schiit Mani to use with a turntable into the Wiim Pro Plus. (I set a max of $150, but there are other recommended models for more.)

I'm also considering this Schiit passive switch so I can connect both my turntable and the analog outs of a CD player to the Pro Plus:

Top Bottom