• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wiim Pro Plus with a CD transport

Brian Hall

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I hooked up an old Sony blu-ray player to the optical input on my Wiim Pro Plus streamer. The Wiim Home app under sources has CD Player (optical). Selected that and now I'm playing a music CD using the old blu-ray player as a transport using the DAC in the Wiim. It sounds awesome. You don't need an expensive DAC or crazy priced CD transport to get great sound.

Doublej

Same here. Unfortunately, my Sony player recognizes only about half of the cds I have. My second problem is that I can't find a new DVD or Blu-Ray with optical output. The few players that have a digital output are of the coaxial form.

Doublej

I scored a minty Panasonic Blu-ray player with an optical output for a fair price. Much simpler than adding another box and transformer into the setup.

Hagan66

I hooked up an old Sony blu-ray player to the optical input on my Wiim Pro Plus streamer. The Wiim Home app under sources has CD Player (optical). Selected that and now I'm playing a music CD using the old blu-ray player as a transport using the DAC in the Wiim. It sounds awesome. You don't need an expensive DAC or crazy priced CD transport to get great sound.
CORRECT!!!

CT Man

I miss the displays that have been stripped from current blu-ray players when using them for CDs. Manufacturers give no thought to flexible track selection using the TV display, plus I don't want my TV on for that.

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
The older Sony DVP-NS300 CD/DVD player works pretty well for me in this regard. I currently use mine via Toslink to my JDS Atom+ DAC, switchable from computer USB via thr front button. This lets me easily toggle my workroom system between streaming from the desktop to playing a CD, using the good DAC in the Atom. The Sony unit is cheap and still readily available on the used market, and has decent from panel buttons, so I don't need a remote to play either CDs or the few DVD-Audio disks I have. I look for DVD units with optical out when I am thrifting, but you don't see them that often, the coax out is far more prevalent.

Top Bottom