• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Pro Plus - Review & Measurements (Streamer)

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
If someone is interested in measurable differences between the current Pro Plus revision and the one probably upcoming, here are some details:

maty

Major Contributor
Hans Beekhuyzen

WiiM Pro Plus, the upgraded one

WiiM Pro Plus vs Pro - inside.png

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
None of his reviews are "good" reviews.
This is the guy who's convinced he can hear benefits from fiber optic and other ethernet cleansing devices. He tries to sound technical, but he's just reading company promotional materials and brings nothing of his own to the table. Stylistically, he's also deadly. If he had fewer followers, it would only be funny. Go figger.

jjk1

Is there any way to monitor the bit rate of the lpcm coming through optical input on this device without tools on a pc?
im curious as Apple Music is reporting 24bit on an outbound DAC where the stream originated from airplay via at3 v3.
I always thought Apple Music
was limited to 16bits over airplay.

ninetylol

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Well- suppose that depends on what makes a great pre amp (there are threads on here full of that) but its certainly a great digital source. I dont think I would be happy just using this or any other DAC straight into a power amp without any form of visible volume protection in place but I am sure it would work fine until either glitch or little human fingers play with it.
True, a streamer - if used by multiple people and connected to a power amp input directly - will cause some unexpected wake ups , but it’s nice to be able to deliver the volume controlled bits or voltage anywhere in the chain and not worry about resolution as far as volume is concerned, and where you control it.
I agree that using a streamer as a pre amp is far from ideal but it is very convenient. It reduces the clutter and I am all for that.
I have been using Bluesond Node and currently WiiM Pro Plus as a pre amp for last 6-7 years and never had a single accident. On both I always used the sound level limiter set up between 60-70% of the max level. On top of that I never put my Genelec actives on max sensitivity. So even if some accident happens, the sound would be very loud but hopefully not loud enough to cause some damage. In that setting the S/N may not be the best possible but my hearing is far, far away from the best possible. On top of that, eliminating one component in the chain would not hurt S/N ratio either.
Can you explain what you mean exactly? I bought a AIYIMA A07 MAX and want to buy a WiiM Pro Plus as source/dac/preamp for my ELAC UB52.

If I Set the volume control to some 25-50% why would it put out a 100% level Signal?
Also i could put the AIYIMA A07 MAX to 50% volume as a failsafe?

Thanks

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
why would it put out a 100% level Signal?
Because software gets glitches and can do such things (see another thread with an E70 doing exactly that). We are talking more between sessions more than during.
Also i could put the AIYIMA A07 MAX to 50% volume as a failsafe?
Absolutely. The problems arise when people want to run the source (using its digital attenuation) straight into a power amp / active speakers and because there is no physical dial you can't check is turned down, the speakers/ ears get a full bore blast either due to digital device glitching/ human error/ pets sitting on remote etc

MezzoMix

Hi guys, I just signed up after spending the last couple of days reading through this and other threads here. This forum seems to be an awesome resource!

I am thinking about getting a WiiM Pro Plus to feed my main listening system with a variety of streaming sources. Would most likely be DLNA / Spotify Connect / maybe Bluetooth, Airplay 2, ...
Regarding the latter (Airplay 2): I've read some contrary reviews/descriptions about this. On the (german) Amazon page of the Pro Plus, it says in capital letters that this device is not able to send signals via Airplay to other Airplay devices. Reading the upmost review on the same Amazon page however, the reviewer writes that he likes the device most for its unique "Airplay Cast" capability, taking audio from any of the inputs and transmitting it via AirPlay to other receivers.

Can someone here confirm whether the Pro / Pro Plus is actually able to do so?
I have set up a couple of Raspberry Pis as Airplay 2-receivers and it would be great to not depend on an iPhone in order to use all of them as a multiroom setup, but just send anything to the WiiM, which would then "cast" it via Airplay 2.

elmoe420

Hi guys, I just signed up after spending the last couple of days reading through this and other threads here. This forum seems to be an awesome resource!

I am thinking about getting a WiiM Pro Plus to feed my main listening system with a variety of streaming sources. Would most likely be DLNA / Spotify Connect / maybe Bluetooth, Airplay 2, ...
Regarding the latter (Airplay 2): I've read some contrary reviews/descriptions about this. On the (german) Amazon page of the Pro Plus, it says in capital letters that this device is not able to send signals via Airplay to other Airplay devices. Reading the upmost review on the same Amazon page however, the reviewer writes that he likes the device most for its unique "Airplay Cast" capability, taking audio from any of the inputs and transmitting it via AirPlay to other receivers.

I have set up a couple of Raspberry Pis as Airplay 2-receivers and it would be great to not depend on an iPhone in order to use all of them as a multiroom setup, but just send anything to the WiiM, which would then "cast" it via Airplay 2.

The Airplay Transmitter feature was in beta but I thought it launched along with the new PEQ and Squeezelite features last month. @Brantome could likely confirm as our local WiiM expert.

jjk1

Yes -airplay to the Wiim can be redirected via airplay bridge.
read your post and did the following from my seat on the sofa
1. airplay to wiim or device feeding Wiim optical and direct the out to any and all network connected airplay devices
i my case I picked and ATV 4 in the living room, and an ATV 3 connected to a headphone amp. It just works.
i can also connect another the headamp or 2 and reroute wired PQE to anything I want - buy one.
Edit: -
question for the forum -
I guess in theory (haven’t the equipment or the inclination) you could EQ every room with idrac somewhere and feed the Wiim optical port with saved EQ for any measured room via airplay ?
cool

Last edited:

MezzoMix

This is great news, thank you very much for even trying it out! Seems hard to find anything similar at this price point, probably have to buy one then :)
Also they really should update the Amazon description...

ninetylol

WiiM Pro Plus - Review & Measurements

Noise Level - 24b/44.1kHz
View attachment 304361

Dynamic Range - 24b/44.1kHz
View attachment 304362

Could it be that those two pcitures dont fit the measurements or am i reading it wrong?

Also do you have a THDN / DR table for different output voltage settings? My amp only got a input sens of 1v, so i cant output full signal.

OP
VintageFlanker

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Could it be that those two pcitures dont fit the measurements or am i reading it wrong?
You read it wrong. ;) As explained several times, DR measurements is made here with compensation of the 60dB Gain of Cosmos APU. The calculation is based on Noise, minus dBFS level, + 60dB to get estimated DR. At least with my instrumentation. Noise Level is not comparable to DR/SNR, since it simply measures the noise floor with an equivalent of dithered silence (in fact, it is -180dBFS 20Hz sine, to prevent some DACs that would just shut off the output with dithered silence).
Also do you have a THDN / DR table for different output voltage settings?
Unfortunately, I did for the regular Pro's review, but not for the Pro Plus. I still have the second (final) sample, so I could give it a try when I have time.

ninetylol

You read it wrong. ;) As explained several times, DR measurements is made here with compensation of the 60dB Gain of Cosmos APU. The calculation is based on Noise, minus dBFS level, + 60dB to get estimated DR. At least with my instrumentation. Noise Level is not comparable to DR/SNR, since it simply measures the noise floor with an equivalent of dithered silence (in fact, it is -180dBFS 20Hz sine, to prevent some DACs that would just shut off the output with dithered silence).

Unfortunately, I did for the regular Pro's review, but not for the Pro Plus. I still have the second (final) sample, so I could give it a try when I have time.
Thanks for the info, I only understand half of it but i trust that you do :D

That would be great if you get to do that in the future. My Pro Plus is coming in tomorrow, cant wait!

att007

Hi Guys. Is that worth to get the Pro Plus against the normal Pro if you would only use the streaming capabilities of the unit? I have one Wiim mini (goes to another room now) but I thought at least a Pro would be better to use in the main hi-fi chain.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If using only digital outputs than no need to get the Plus, regular Pro is just as good.

Top Bottom