• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Pro Plus - Review & Measurements (Streamer)

Tangband

Major Contributor
Not necessarily stupid, but once you have drunk the kool-aid, believed the marketing, spent the cash, convinced yourself there is an ‘improvement’ it is extremely difficult to admit that you were wrong.
If anything their position becomes even more entrenched you see it all the time on forums, psychology is fascinating.
Keith
I think its important to revaluate the hifi gear from time to time because there are some really good stuff out there, sometimes not awful expensive to. And time moves on with interesting new techniques. I wouldnt buy a class A/B amplifier 2023.

Even the objectivists are prone to nocebo.
”Cant hear any difference regardless of price ”.

Last edited:

auronthas

Can you write a little how it compares with Cambridge CXN V2 , soundvice ? Is it better ? Its VERY quiet from all the main youtube reviewers about the + version , except cheapaudioman that didnt think the bass was quite as good as the cheaper WiiM pro with SMSL su1 as dac.

Sorry for late reply. I don't have a chance to do blind AB test, CXN V2 is connected to external DAC and balanced out to Amp, while Plus to Amp via RCA. I could hear the loudness +6dB from CXN V2 over Plus. Plus is a minimalist/all-in-one for convenient music streamer which I may relocate to another room.

Now waiting for Roon Certified on Plus as my music library connected to Roon(ROCK) is not accessible.

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry for late reply. I don't have a chance to do blind AB test, CXN V2 is connected to external DAC and balanced out to Amp, while Plus to Amp via RCA. I could hear the loudness +6dB from CXN V2 over Plus. Plus is a minimalist/all-in-one for convenient music streamer which I may relocate to another room.

Now waiting for Roon Certified on Plus as my music library connected to Roon(ROCK) is not accessible.
Couldnt you airplay/ chromecast from the ROCK to the Wiim? Agree it getting proper certification would be better though.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I think its important to revaluate the hifi gear from time to time because there are some really good stuff out there, sometimes not awful expensive to. And time moves on with interesting new techniques. I wouldnt buy a class A/B amplifier 2023.

Even the objectivists are prone to nocebo.
”Cant hear any difference regardless of price ”.
As an objectivist I would look at the measurements first ( if they are available) if I conclude that there should be no discernible difference then I wouldn’t even bother to run an unsighted /level matched comparison.
Resale value of Hi-Fi is pretty poor once you have bought an expensive component , providing it works there is little reason to sell.
Keith

auronthas

Couldnt you airplay/ chromecast from the ROCK to the Wiim? Agree it getting proper certification would be better though.
Most of my music files bought online were of 24/192kHz. Yes, you are right, I can chromecast from ROCK, I can see Plus under ROON/Audio/ other network devices .

ivayvr

Your insinuating that highend people are stupid and easily fooled - In some sense thats true - but there are also serious audiophiles out there that really wants the best sound for each dollar paid, free from status delirium.
Maybe they are the majority ?
The only insinuation here is from you to me. I never said or meant to say that "people with very expensive streamers" are stupid or smart or of average IQ. Simply, I have no way of knowing that. They could have been led by the old English proverb: I am not rich enough to buy cheap things. The other option is that they have extravagant spending habits....The list is endless!
I hope that my clarification will help you understand that my original statement is not limited to the smart/stupid conclusions.

T&T

Using Wiim Pro with enable Chromecast to SMSL SU 1...no sound, I can move the volume up and down and show casting but no sound at all. From spotify works fine but not Chromecast.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
but there are also serious audiophiles out there that really wants the best sound for each dollar paid, free from status delirium.

Then they should be doing controlled tests.

Since they don't *really* want to know, they don't.

Tangband

Major Contributor
Then they should be doing controlled tests.

Since they don't *really* want to know, they don't.
Those who has done that ends up here I guess

Tangband

Major Contributor
Using Wiim Pro with enable Chromecast to SMSL SU 1...no sound, I can move the volume up and down and show casting but no sound at all. From spotify works fine but not Chromecast.
Maybe it only works with volume control disconnected ? Have you fixed the sound ?

Tangband

Major Contributor
A question to Vintageflanker : do you know if the WiiM pro+ does any dithering with its digital volume regulation , or is it a plain implementation of 24 bit resolution ? Dithering might be needed with 16 bit material.

sajgre

If chromecast from Chrome is so bad, what king of source is good for Deezer? App for Windows? Android App? Im using fix volume if that is important.

morillon

Major Contributor
If chromecast from Chrome is so bad, what king of source is good for Deezer? App for Windows? Android App? Im using fix volume if that is important.
wiim home... (? ,'-) )
if the application is modest ..... it is now stable since the beginning of the year with deezer, and in constant quality flac of 44/16

sajgre

wiim home... (? ,'-) )
if the application is modest ..... it is now stable since the beginning of the year with deezer, and in constant quality flac of 44/16
How about android Deezer App and chromecast to Wiim?

Overseas

Major Contributor
What what!!??!!

Attachments

• IMG_20230912_130336.jpg
    IMG_20230912_130336.jpg
    193.8 KB · Views: 337

Westsounds

Ok, one can ofcourse buy without listening. I did that with my Yamaha wxc50 , but later listening tests has shown that there are better sounding options .:) Something that can not entirely be explained by the measurements available.

LTS ( swedish soundtechnician society ) reviewed the Yamaha wxc50 with both measurements and double blind listening and concluded that the Yamaha used as a dac did pass the ”before and after” listening tests, and was the cheapest of all dac tested that was this good - on par with Benchmark Dac 2.

Despite that, I can clearly hear the better sound coming from my Rega R dac when listening to music, the difference are clearly audible, to me. The Rega is less boomy in the bass, with clearer bass pitch and the sound has more depth than the yamaha . The sound is more natural and less ”digital” , free of harshness in the treble. Maybe a coloration but its something that makes me wanna listening to more music.

I also bought a ”toptested” IEM earphone recommended here ( not tested by Amirm but by another guy ), the Moondrop LAN that was really terrible sounding, so I dont trust the measurements to 100 % of how it sounds.
Measurements are valuable but must be complemented with listening.

If you call me a subjectivist then thats ok.
Absolutely fine with me. Measurement wise it may even be better than your rega DAC, but if the music listening preference is there that you prefer in the rega then that’s it. Measurements are one thing, but it is the person that ultimately needs to sit down and enjoy or not enjoy music with it.

You are obviously not an audio snob or pure subjectivist, as you have clearly stated that you would happily ditch your rega DAC if a Pro Plus’s DAC outperforms it to your ears. If it doesnt you have to live with having that rega DAC.

The trouble is it's often difficult to accurately conduct blind tests, level matched and with no way of you knowing which DAC you were listening to?

Tangband

Major Contributor
Absolutely fine with me. Measurement wise it may even be better than your rega DAC, but if the music listening preference is there that you prefer in the rega then that’s it. Measurements are one thing, but it is the person that ultimately needs to sit down and enjoy or not enjoy music with it.

You are obviously not an audio snob or pure subjectivist, as you have clearly stated that you would happily ditch your rega DAC if a Pro Plus’s DAC outperforms it to your ears. If it doesnt you have to live with having that rega DAC.

The trouble is it's often difficult to accurately conduct blind tests, level matched and with no way of you knowing which DAC you were listening to?
I think long therm listening and evaluation make more sense - if I gradualy stop listening to music during a whole month of listening at different volume levels then there is something wrong with the gear, no matter how good it measures.

We use our gear to have enjoyment from our music .

Top Bottom