• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

Music1969

Major Contributor
I have an iPhone 6s also. With recent Fw upgrades, Deezer's airplays show 44 on dac, instead of 48 as before.
So there is no reason why it shouldn't pass the lossless flow. Unluckily I ended my trial time before those enhancements. If I'm not wrong, the label "FLAC" was shown, despite the final airplay post upsampling.
Any test will be appreciated, at the moment I'm stuck with android but in the future I could change back and deezer could strike back, since I liked it's app.
From iOS Deezer app -> Airplay 2 -> Airport Express

MQA lights up for 2L MQA CD albums

This is not possible if the album was transcoded to 256kbps AAC on iOS...

Music1969

Major Contributor
WiiM is using Airplay 2 which apparently throttles audio outbound to AAC 256. If you are using an older Airport Express that uses Airplay 1 the stream is lossless.
But unless Wiim has managed to figure out how to trick the sending device ( IOS or Android) that it’s an Airplay 1 device, lossless will not occur.
My Airport Express is running Airplay 2 firmware update. Firmware 7.8.1 is Airplay 2

MQA lighting up is not possible if iOS is transcoding to AAC... In my testing right now, MQA is lighting up on DAC.

But I will test WiiM Mini when it arrives

1654514955091.png

Music1969

Major Contributor
WiiM is using Airplay 2 which apparently throttles audio outbound to AAC 256.
Don't forget most of the analysis of Airplay 2 and the throttling to AAC has been done with Apple Music specifically.

Like this article below which did the rounds all over the place, is all about Apple Music.

Testing MQA CD on Deezer is a nice way to test something other than Apple Music - and I haven't seen much of that testing.

It's very easy for someone to test, especially if you have an SMSL M500 which has MQA decoding on optical input.

As soon as I drop Airplay volume on iOS down from 100% volume, I lose the MQA light. Back up to 100% volume and it comes back.

Results are clear to me. But I'll have to test if WiiM Mini Airplay 2 behaves identical.

Last edited:

Merifon

This is not possible if the album was transcoded to 256kbps AAC on iOS...
could be just matter of residuals metadata of file, that turn on the ligth regardless effective content? Metadata lost when volume change is done?

Last edited:

Music1969

Major Contributor
From my brief testing, I think if you actually capture the output from WiiM Airplay 2 optical out and compare with a capture from Deezer Desktop app, you will find identical... for any track on Deezer.

Assuming your capture settings are identical for both.

Music1969

Major Contributor
I'm glad I actually did this because it's been a long time since I used Deezer

It has improved tremendously !

It looks fantastic.

Music1969

Major Contributor
From my brief testing, I think if you actually capture the output from WiiM Airplay 2 optical out and compare with a capture from Deezer Desktop app, you will find identical... for any track on Deezer.

Assuming your capture settings are identical for both.
@Merifon when my WiiM Mini arrives I will do this test.

morillon

Major Contributor
no mqa with deezer...just flac 44k16bits ...
no more...but seem really with all the catalog

Merifon

@morillon

i think although mqa is not the main business of Deezer and other suppliers, if the producer has included this encoding in the files it provides to streaming services, it is very likely that it will remain. Whether this makes sense is another question...

Music1969

Major Contributor
It is very well known that 2L only provide Apple, Qobuz, Amazon, Deezer, Tidal with MQA files...

Maybe not well known on this thread but very well known..

There is a very obvious reason why 2L tracks are the ones I used to test Amazon and Deezer.

morillon

Major Contributor
Ah OK
but a meaning on files of such low resolutions?
and must not match a lot of available files...

ps do not forget the language barrier

;-)
if only a few "audiophile demo" files that s just a little interest

Last edited:

Music1969

Major Contributor
It's better to do some research ;-)

If you have an MQA DAC like that guy (and me !!) it is very easy to verify.

If you don't have an MQA to verfiy, please don't assume you have all the answers.

morillon

Major Contributor
no worries...
I understood now!!
;-)
just regards what volume of files? types of music, artists?
an artistic interet?

morillon

Major Contributor
me if I already have the whole catalog in 44k16bits.. will already be happy...
we spent 10 years satisfying cds 44k16bits
then...
(but seem not so easy!)
and we kill the sacd....at beginning of 2000!

but

to read you about mqa and wiim!
;-)

go back to the wiim..
;-)

Last edited:

Jmudrick

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It's better to do some research ;-)

If you have an MQA DAC like that guy (and me !!) it is very easy to verify.

If you don't have an MQA to verfiy, please don't assume you have all the answers.
The Deezer Community thread is a year old..did the "development team" ever clarify the situation?

Top Bottom