• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

kepatron

The wireless link between speakers is down stream processing and wont effect the onboarding capability of the DAC. Have just had it confirmed by Edifier support that the optical supports 24/194 through optical.

They sent me a screen shot of where it says it can in the manual lol.

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
The wireless link between speakers is down stream processing and wont effect the onboarding capability of the DAC. Have just had it confirmed by Edifier support that the optical supports 24/194 through optical.

They sent me a screen shot of where it says it can in the manual lol.
Is the main speaker downsampling the audio before sending to the second speaker if the resolution exceeds maximum allowed range for transfer? If so, which sampling rate is used?

kepatron

I dont see how its really relevant.

There would be no way of knowing that for certain as I would have to somehow capture the wireless signal.

Ive fed the speakers with 24/192 over usb and optical previously and it has not been a problem, audio equipment accepting X signal and then resampling to send it upstream is hardly unique.

kepatron

Replied to Edifiers support with a question about the Kleernet maximum bit rate. Its not mentioned in the manual so will be interesting to hear what they have to say.

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
I dont see how its really relevant.

There would be no way of knowing that for certain as I would have to somehow capture the wireless signal.

Ive fed the speakers with 24/192 over usb and optical previously and it has not been a problem, audio equipment accepting X signal and then resampling to send it upstream is hardly unique.
I'm just curious if they made any statement on that.

Second speaker is silent if 24/192 audio is being sent by WiiM as you said earlier. For me that could mean that the main speaker doesn't downsample the audio to the level acceptable for wireless transmission., for whatever reason.

kepatron

I'm just curious if they made any statement on that.

Second speaker is silent if 24/192 audio is being sent by WiiM as you said earlier. For me that could mean that the main speaker doesn't downsample the audio to the level acceptable for wireless transmission., for whatever reason.
The speaker playing is the one connected by wireless.

kepatron

But again Ive had 24/194 into the speakers before over two different inputs and had no problems in terms of sound.

DTTOM37

Replied to Edifiers support with a question about the Kleernet maximum bit rate. Its not mentioned in the manual so will be interesting to hear what they have to say.
Imho, the last rate it plays from WIIM birate testing equals the max transfer rate of the Kleernet adapter.
One could test/verify that scenario of resampling problems with USB/SPDIF/BT and hi-res files (24/44.1 - 24/192) in bitperfect mode from source.

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
The speaker playing is the one connected by wireless.
Oh, unexpected I guess. It could mean that downsampling is working but main speaker doesn't downsample for itself and cannot handle an original resolution with playback. By the way, is it regardless of the source in case of WiiM?

I'm sorry, I've missed your post when you were explaining that before.

kepatron

I can see why people might think that, but im close to 100% confident the speakers can accept 24/194 and then do any necessary resampling via its onboard chip set.

1. I have had those bit rates input into the speaker before.
2. Edifier would just be straight up lying when they say the speakers are 194/24 capable on usb and optical if they could not even accept those bit rates even as inputs.

DTTOM37

But again Ive had 24/194 into the speakers before over two different inputs and had no problems in terms of sound.
That sounds strange to my analytical mind, bc as @onlyoneme and the FCCID sources have pointed out, the Kleernet transfer rate could be max 24/96.
Which means, either one or both channels would be downsampled. But to which rate ? If it would be only one, that would be really strange ...

kepatron

Its probably some kind of glitch in whatever protocol stack wiim uses. They are really pushing the envelope on what the onboard chip set of the wiim can do and the odd mismatch with the huge range of DACs etc available is to be expected here and there.

I will return the unit and get a new one and that will at least rule out a fault if the problem persists.

Smartplug

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hate to agree - I’m still on that beta too despite being promised over two weeks ago that I’d get an update later that day for the radio (vTuner, network stream etc) issue that was introduced in 243. From their record to date, we’re overdue a firmware and app update - looks like they’re not keeping to the roadmap
There was no updates for the last couple of weeks on official firmware and app.

kepatron

That sounds strange to my analytical mind, bc as @onlyoneme and the FCCID sources have pointed out, the Kleernet transfer rate could be max 24/96.
Which means, either one or both channels would be downsampled. But to which rate ? If it would be only one, that would be really strange ...

Why is it in anyway strange, audio equipment being able to receive at any given bit rate and then resample it is absolutely standard. Nothing strange in anyway about the Edifiers being able to accept 24/194 even if the eventual output is not that bitrate.

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
@kepatron
Did you try to upsample any audio file with defferent sample rate / resolution combinations and play over DLNA on WiiM? For testing purposes?

DTTOM37

Why is it in anyway strange, audio equipment being able to receive at any given bit rate and then resample it is absolutely standard. Nothing strange in anyway about the Edifiers being able to accept 24/194 even if the eventual output is not that bitrate.
I didn say/mean downsampling as such is strange, though it is in the context you've described. but I've read in to your post that you meant to say that the Edifier would play at 24/192 bitrates, which it doesn't.
I've just read your posts since page 132 a 2nd time ... Maybe a problem of non-native language at both sides, maybe it was meant to be read like that?

OTOH, the WIIM, which in my opinion is an excellent product (pricewise, from the mix of hardware/software and their idea of serving key markets), can't support every other unit/use case, and may be in fact not made for your personal purpose.

That doesn't mean that your Edifier product works flawlessly with 192/24 files. It just doesn't do bit perfect reproduction.
It would be less of a problem, if the manufacturer announces the bitrate at which it will be downsampled for reproduction with both speakers..
In fact it could mean, that feeding it bit perfect in the transfer rate of the kleernet chip and avoiding another digital conversíon step may save you money with your streaming service subscription or with the shopping cart, at i.e. Qobuz.

Perhaps you are satisfied with the SQ you'll get through the downsampling process, than everything is easy, and returning the for-you-non-functional WIIM is exactly what's needed.

kepatron

Of course its still a WiiM issue if it has a consistent problem putting out 24/194 into a dac that can process that signal.

that you meant to say that the Edifier would play at 24/192 bitrates, which it doesn't.

All ive said is that sources outputting 194/24 have produced audio through the edifiers no problem, I have made no claims about what bit rate the edifiers are actually outputting.

Top Bottom