• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Review (Streamer)

Rate this streamer:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 12 2.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 46 9.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 231 48.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 186 39.2%

• Total voters

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
No stuttering on Tidal
Yep, I’ve had no issues running Tidal HiFi. Integration into the WiiM app is really quite good, with biographies, similar artists, etc.

I’ve not had any navigation issues. Getting from the “now playing” screen back to main screen is simply a matter of touching the down arrow at top left. Clicking the “Browse” button gets back to top level, no matter how deeply you’ve drilled down. A pretty well designed UI, though I mostly use the LMS Material Skin, which is what I’m accustomed to.

9C575CB4-2CE0-4B06-807A-3ECB7D5527ED.jpeg

nothingman

A question for @WiiM Support as long as they’ve been responsive:

Is it normal for Tidal Connect to drop the connection the moment a queue is finished? Is there anything that can be done to hold a Tidal Connect session open for at least 5 or 10 minutes after the queue finishes?

An example: if I am selecting songs one at a time, and letting them all play to conclusion, each and every time a song finishes without another song queued my Tidal Connect drops. That means I have to go back in to the player screen and go to sources and then select the Mini again, and only then hit play, over and over even though I had a perfectly good Tidal Connect session going just a moment earlier. Or an album finishes and it’s time to pick another and I have literally zero seconds after the last song finishes to start another without having to reconnect.

I’m more used to an Airplay type system when there’s a standard timeout that is pretty reasonable. Not excessively short, but doesn’t last forever either. Maybe 5-10mins. I’d have nothing against a longer connection than that, but it’s a reference point.

I mention this in case it’s the Mini that is signaling to Tidal that the job is over and it’s time to disengage Tidal Connect. You all should fix that, if that’s the case, or if it’s Tidal’s fault then please help them understand why they have things set up in a way that doesn’t match how people listen to music.

Otherwise, kudos! Such a great little piece of gear that does its job wonderfully. Thank you.

crowdypooster

What is the main difference compared to Chromecast Audio? I see it's both lossless.
Honestly, I can't hear a difference between Tidal Connect via Wiim and CCA (both through optical). I currently have eight CCA units that I use for whole house audio and one attached to my main listening room. I'm mainly interested in the Wiim as a potential replacement as the CCA was discontinued.

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
“Needs to” might be a bit strong, actually oftentimes things are introduced with limited or start up types of features or coverage and build onto their software. This is pretty common actually. There are always changes and improvements and evolution, not everybody comes out of the gate perfect. If they see the viability of continuation they might come out with a higher end device next time. There could also be licensing, approval or other factors (or costs) involved. You’re allowed not to like the thing as it’s not for everybody but it’s really not that bad looking at what it can do and the out of the box functionality is worth it overall. Not something I would use in my main system but I might pick it up to play with it. Sometimes we just need to have a little fun, this is a hobby isn’t it???
Just a continuation actually. I picked one up and it is really very nice little device. Works perfectly for what it is, no real problems or anything I could say negative about it. If people are having dropouts, it very well might be their Wi-Fi. I’m not the biggest fan of Wi-Fi for mission critical connectivity and would rather hardwire most things, but… I have many streamer type devices, both wired and Wi-Fi. They are video for the most part and if you have strong Wi-Fi you should have no problems. Music streaming is not really that demanding.

The numbers that were presented in the review are pretty decently accurate as usual, except maybe as the manufacturer mentioned the DAC would show a little bit better if it was tested a bit differently.

Even though Amir is steadfast and will not change his opinion, it is his opinion, and he’s entitled to it. Look the captain of the titanic was sure the damn thing could not sink. o_O So heck, we all make mistakes sometimes. :)

The Roon controversy is maybe a good thing because it’s generated a good amount of conversation. Maybe that was his intentions all along, even bad press is good press. As long as you spell one’s name correctly.

Last edited:

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
I have a Pi Zero WH with a Digi hat, coax out into my RME ADI-2, and the WiiM Mini into the optical input. Both pass the bit-perfect tests provided by RME, up to 24/192.

Queued up Killer Joe by Benny Golson on Tidal from my Pi 4 LMS server to both streamers. Switching back and forth using the RME remote. I notice no difference whatsoever. Not a double-blind test, though I wasn't looking at the buttons on the remote, if that counts, lol.
When people insist on double blind testing I just put on some Ray Charles and Stevie Wonder and keep it moving. :cool:

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just in case anyone is interested, I have created a group on Facebook to discuss all things Linkplay - including the Wiim Mini. You can find it here: www.facebook.com/groups/linkplayusers/ .
Facebook is a surveillance engine only Boomers seem to be staying at, out of inertia or something. People below 50 have moved elsewhere.
I'm 48.:p

While I’m optimistic that they will support lossless Amazon Music
They will run out of chips and then there is nothing else to sell. At that point they would rather focus energy on their next product than to support the old one they can't sell anymore. It's highly unlikely that a company finishes the hardest to implement feature after all the hardware is sold.

Here is what Amir said in the review: "Personally I can't recommend the WiiM Mini due to lack of support for Roon player..."
The WiiM also doesn't have a volume control or input a magnetic phono cartridge, which I use often, but it wouldn't prevent me from recommending a product for what it CAN do.
But you have to agree that Roon makes sense on this device, as it would be implemented purely in software, phono doesn't.

That said, I'm gonna wait to see that Wiim keeps their threat to support Amazon Music Ultra HD before I press 'buy'.
Are you new to this kind of product? If the hardest problem is not solved in the product from the start, it never will be. They will drop support the second the sales drop (be it because the competition has something more popular or they can't produce another batch because they run out of semiconductors). Expecting core features to be implemented after the sale is done, is naive.

[...] suffice it to say that developing and gaining certification for a third party implementation of the lossless 16 & 24 bit Amazon Music HD service is a steep climb…
And that is why i don't think it will be supported ever.

Brantome

Major Contributor
Facebook is a surveillance engine only Boomers seem to be staying at, out of inertia or something. People below 50 have moved elsewhere.

They will run out of chips and then there is nothing else to sell. At that point they would rather focus energy on their next product than to support the old one they can't sell anymore. It's highly unlikely that a company finishes the hardest to implement feature after all the hardware is sold.

But you have to agree that Roon makes sense on this device, as it would be implemented purely in software, phono doesn't.

Are you new to this kind of product? If the hardest problem is not solved in the product from the start, it never will be. They will drop support the second the sales drop (be it because the competition has something more popular or they can't produce another batch because they run out of semiconductors). Expecting core features to be implemented after the sale is done, is naive.

And that is why i don't think it will be supported ever.

I bet you’re fun at parties :p:D:D

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'm fifty nine and abstain from Facebook. I don't know why anyone would help support Zuck's crooked greed.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm fifty nine and abstain from Facebook. I don't know why anyone would help support Zuck's crooked greed.
Check out the dude that did MySpace. He sold, got a few millions and was never heard from again. No need to build an empire and grow it forever.

I like your signatures content. Cost efficient and straight to the point. :cool:

Jim Shaw

Forum Donor
There are layers of history and complexity around Amazon Music and Amazon Music HD that my tired brain can’t tackle tonight - suffice it to say that developing and gaining certification for a third party implementation of the lossless 16 & 24 bit Amazon Music HD service is a steep climb…
Yep, I agree. That's why I won't be a WiiM customer (regardless of price) until evidence shows that they have achieved Ultra HD (hi res.) streaming with Amazon. That might be never.
Some wise man on the web (I forgot whom) said never to buy a device based upon future enhancement promises. Most of the time, they don't happen.
So, I'm still looking for an economical way to do high res. streaming on my bedroom system. Currently, I suffer through an old, discontinued Amazon Echo interface that does lossy playback. (The 'remote' is my voice to Alexa. Just don't turn the volume up or listen too closely. But it is already paid for.)
P.S. I did try Bluetooth from my Pixel to my amp that has BT A2DP, but the results were pretty much garbage sound.

Brantome

Major Contributor
Yep, I agree. That's why I won't be a WiiM customer (regardless of price) until evidence shows that they have achieved Ultra HD (hi res.) streaming with Amazon. That might be never.
Some wise man on the web (I forgot whom) said never to buy a device based upon future enhancement promises. Most of the time, they don't happen.
So, I'm still looking for an economical way to do high res. streaming on my bedroom system. Currently, I suffer through an old, discontinued Amazon Echo interface that does lossy playback. (The 'remote' is my voice to Alexa. Just don't turn the volume up or listen too closely. But it is already paid for.)
P.S. I did try Bluetooth from my Pixel to my amp that has BT A2DP, but the results were pretty much garbage sound.
Try a fire tv stick then. I have one plugged Into my amp over hdmi (with the video then going to a tv) and it plays Amazon Music HD up to 24/192, albeit not bit perfect.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
The WiiM Mini already streams Qobuz at 24/192 (which I've verified on my RME DAC). Parent company Linkplay has done Alexa integrations for dozens of companies, and is quite capable of integrating Amazon HD. I wouldn't bet against them.

Jim Shaw

Forum Donor
Try a fire tv stick then. I have one plugged Into my amp over hdmi (with the video then going to a tv) and it plays Amazon Music HD up to 24/192, albeit not bit perfect.
Ach! My amp is 2.1. No HDMI.
The world is out to get me. ;)

Smitty2k1

I'll ask again because I haven't gotten a response - has anyone figured out how to get gapless playback with replaygain of local (network) music files?

Emby works well for gapless
LMS should do gapless and replay gain using the DLNA bridge but I'm getting pauses/skips at the end of tracks
Any other software to try?

Brantome

Major Contributor
I'll ask again because I haven't gotten a response - has anyone figured out how to get gapless playback with replaygain of local (network) music files?

Emby works well for gapless
LMS should do gapless and replay gain using the DLNA bridge but I'm getting pauses/skips at the end of tracks
Any other software to try?
Maybe Minimserver?

serious

Appreciate the Wiim review, as I was curious how it tested. I picked one up and noticed a few things.
  1. Airplay 2 streaming sounds markedly different when using the Wiim app vs Apple Music app. When looping Radiohead's No Surprises, the vocals were flat and slightly recessed streaming from Apple Music to the Wiim. However, streaming Airplay inside the Wiim app made the vocals pop, full of detail. App's EQ was turned off. Not sure why the difference. You gotta start by selecting the track in Apple Music and then switch apps.
  2. On a budget note... The Burr-Brown DAC chip on this might be a step down for some, but for anyone wondering - it is much better than the DAC chip in the Apple dongle.

Brantome

Major Contributor
Appreciate the Wiim review, as I was curious how it tested. I picked one up and noticed a few things.
  1. Airplay 2 streaming sounds markedly different when using the Wiim app vs Apple Music app. When looping Radiohead's No Surprises, the vocals were flat and slightly recessed streaming from Apple Music to the Wiim. However, streaming Airplay inside the Wiim app made the vocals pop, full of detail. App's EQ was turned off. Not sure why the difference. You gotta start by selecting the track in Apple Music and then switch apps.
  2. On a budget note... The Burr-Brown DAC chip on this might be a step down for some, but for anyone wondering - it is much better than the DAC chip in the Apple dongle.
I’m not sure what you mean by 1., particularly by ‘streaming airplay inside the WiiM app’ - could you please expand on the steps you took to do this? To me, the WiiM device is an Airplay target you choose from your source app, and I can’t see where you could choose to stream Airplay within the WiiM app. I’m confused… :confused:

Top Bottom