• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Benchmark DAC3/WiiM mini SPDIF output settings selection not working?

Endibol

Forum Donor
I have a question: I hooked up a WiiM mini streamer via toslink to the Benchmark DAC3. In the WiiM mini app you can choose both sampling frequency and bitrate. However, whichever setting I select, the DAC3 keeps on indicating 48 kHz and 24 bit.
Does anybody know what's going on here? Is it the WiiM or the Benchmark?
Your input is much appreciated.

EDIT: My apologies.. I made a mistake. My DAC3 is reading the input parameters of the MiniDSP Flex Digital which is fed by the WiiM Mini.

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
The setting controls the maximum same rate and bit depth that the WiiM will output.

The actual output format will still be dictated by the stream. Whatever goes in, comes out.

OP
Endibol

Endibol

Forum Donor
Thanks for your input. I still have one question though:
According to Spotify the song I stream via the WiiM Mini is 16 bit, 380 kb/s, this is fed to the MiniDSP Flex and subsequently output to the Benchmark DAC3.
The DAC 3 indicates that it detects 24 bit / 48 kHz. Does this mean that the MiniDSP transforms the signal from 16 bit to 24 bit?

staticV3

Master Contributor
The Flex is converting to 48kHz and either the WiiM or the Flex is converting to 24bit.

In general, conversion to higher bit depth is completely unproblematic. Purists may want to avoid sample rate conversion.

OP
Endibol

Endibol

Forum Donor
Thanks. I am not a purist I don't hear the difference between 16 and 24 bits, and think nobody would in a well-conducted test.

Vincent Kars

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Does this mean that the MiniDSP transforms the signal from 16 bit to 24 bit
The specs say Digital (TOSLINK & SPDIF) for digital output. SPDIF is a 32 bit word per channel with a 8 bit pre-amble and a 24 bit payload (the audio).
By design the receiver will always receive 24 bits audio.
If the source is 16, it will be supplemented with 8 zero bits. Indeed, nothing audible.

Top Bottom