• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Review (Streamer)

Rate this streamer:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 12 2.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 46 9.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 231 48.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 186 39.2%

• Total voters

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And there are apps that recognize the CCA which don't see the WiiM (eg, YouTube Music, Apple Music via Android).
Screw them.
UPnP/DLNA exists, all they have to do is use it. Same goes for Roon and any other proprietary BS with a not-invented-here syndrome.

Smitty2k1

Yeah at this point being able to enqueue only one album at a time via the network server (using the WiiM app) is my biggest beef with the app. Hopefully they'll get to it
My App just decides to not find the Wiim from time to time. App restart usually fixes it

Jmudrick

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Screw them.
UPnP/DLNA exists, all they have to do is use it. Same goes for Roon and any other proprietary BS with a not-invented-here syndrome.
USB Audio Player Pro is another one that doesn't see the WiiM which is frustrating. Great software otherwise. Ditto iBroadcast.

Last edited:

RichT

Just got my Wiim and so far it's fantastic. I can tell by the interest in this thread that it's rocking the boat and is a genuine bargain. So far have just used the internal dac and it's just fine. Can't wait to check out the Toslink to my SMSL Sanskrit. Kind regards

Jim Shaw

Forum Donor
I have never used Roon, so I'm not (by ASR preference) much of a member here. I have read thru the Roon website, and it cannot tell me what I'm in for when I have music interfaces (in different rooms and purposes) of an iPad, a Windows PC, an Android Pixel phone, Amazon Echo, and I use Amazon HD Unlimited music service. These all play nicely together.

Roon tells me I should just download their free demo, and I will become all-wise. Well, folks, I did that with Qobuz last year, and I finally had to disconnect Paypal from my bank to STOP paying after I canceled the service -- THREE DIFFERENT TIMES. Qobuz kept replying that I didn't have a subscription, thus I couldn't cancel. Yet the bills kept coming and being paid by Paypal -- and me. I had to ask my bank to shut off all payments to Paypal to get rid of Qobuz. (That worked.) No more "download the free trial" for me.

Every Harvard, Yale, Stanford, or Wharton grad knows that the business model you want is the automatic monthly payment business. You know, monthly billings that go on forever. That's Roon's business model, so no. Yeah, Amazon keeps me paying for Prime, but I get a ton (literally) of free shipping for that.

So, bottom line, I don't have or think I want Roon, or Plex, or a Razberry Pi hobby. I'm not trapping my laptop to be a music player. So... no Roon, and I guess I'm a tight fit around ASR.

Bottom line: I guess I'm more into music than playback system tinkering. I can live with that.

DrZingo

I have never used Roon and I have no interest in the product whatsoever. On the whole though, I don't find the discussions and reviews to be particularly Roon-centric at all, but then I don't read everything here.

Jim Shaw

Forum Donor
I have never used Roon and I have no interest in the product whatsoever. On the whole though, I don't find the discussions and reviews to be particularly Roon-centric at all, but then I don't read everything here.
Here is what Amir said in the review: "Personally I can't recommend the WiiM Mini due to lack of support for Roon player..."

The WiiM also doesn't have a volume control or input a magnetic phono cartridge, which I use often, but it wouldn't prevent me from recommending a product for what it CAN do. But c'est la vie.

That said, I'm gonna wait to see that Wiim keeps their threat to support Amazon Music Ultra HD before I press 'buy'.

Smitty2k1

Has anyone successfully gotten gapless playback with replay gain working from a DLNA server? Trying to get it working with Logitech Media Server (LMS) but I keep getting skips/jumps at the end of tracks.

Previously played fine from Emby, but Emby doesn't support replay gain.

Brantome

Major Contributor
That said, I'm gonna wait to see that Wiim keeps their threat to support Amazon Music Ultra HD before I press 'buy'.
While I’m optimistic that they will support lossless Amazon Music (both 24 bit UHD and 16 bit HD which they currently don’t), I don’t see it being a smooth road without issues given the difficulties that big U.K. names like Linn and Naim have been facing trying to implement such. As has been discussed, they are also claiming that they’ll support both HD and UHD casting, and that might well be a first outside Amazon’s own kit where the best I’ve experienced is HD, if not just SD. Yes, I’m optimistic but also realistic...

Jim Shaw

Forum Donor
While I’m optimistic that they will support lossless Amazon Music (both 24 bit UHD and 16 bit HD which they currently don’t), I don’t see it being a smooth road without issues given the difficulties that big U.K. names like Linn and Naim have been facing trying to implement such. As has been discussed, they are also claiming that they’ll support both HD and UHD casting, and that might well be a first outside Amazon’s own kit where the best I’ve experienced is HD, if not just SD. Yes, I’m optimistic but also realistic...
I'm not sure how difficult it is to support Amazon Ultra HD over HD on the receiving end. I know my iPad with the Amazon Music app does it. I regularly see 24/96K and 24/192K on my DAC with Ultra HD. (My iPad is dedicated to just the main playback system and never does anything else.)

One big reason I selected an iPad (and an external DAC) to stream Amazon was the expectation of continued ongoing high res. support from Amazon. I'm tired of having to wrestle obscure computer apps to the ground when the support of my device gets torpedoed by the app writer after a few years.

Wrestling apps is a younger man's sport.

P.S: Just to be clear, here's the chain I use on my main system to stream Amazon HD/Ultra HD Music:
Amazon Music Unlimited > WiFi > iPad > iPad Camera Adapter > USB > DAC > Preamp > Amp > Speakers > My ears > My brain

Last edited:

Brantome

Major Contributor
I'm not sure how difficult it is to support Amazon Ultra HD over HD on the receiving end. I know my iPad with the Amazon Music app does it. I regularly see 24/96K and 24/192K on my DAC with Ultra HD. (My iPad is dedicated to just the main playback system and never does anything else.)

One big reason I selected an iPad (and an external DAC) to stream Amazon was the expectation of continued ongoing high res. support from Amazon. I'm tired of having to wrestle obscure computer apps to the ground when the support of my device gets torpedoed by the app writer after a few years.

I’ve said this several times here and in other places, but my experience and view is that the split is between the original lossy Amazon Music Unlimited service (call it SD if you will) that has been implemented on a relatively wide range of devices, and the more recent lossless Amazon Music HD service which comprises both 16 bit HD and 24 bit UHD (to use Amazon’s terminology) that is available on much fewer platforms.

To me, there isn’t a split between lossless HD and lossless UHD. WiiM have confirmed they currently only support lossy Amazon Music but unfortunately have also said they support HD but I suspect they mean 16/44.1 from a lossy MP3/AAC source. I don’t believe they support lossless 16/44.1 HD as they’ve only recently got the documentation detailing the API and decryption algorithm etc they need to decode both lossless 16 bit HD and 24bit UHD.

If they pull off the implementation of that (including lossless casting) in the timescales they’re suggesting, then they must have really good developers and much better access to Amazon resources than other companies I’ve already named.

Brantome

Major Contributor

P.S: Just to be clear, here's the chain I use on my main system to stream Amazon HD/Ultra HD Music:
Amazon Music Unlimited > WiFi > iPad > iPad Camera Adapter > USB > DAC > Preamp > Amp > Speakers > My ears > My brain

Also, you need to remember the big difference between what you’re doing on the iPad etc is using the official Amazon Music app written by Amazon, not another app like WiiM that relies on whatever API Amazon releases to third parties that almost inevitably won’t be as feature rich. That’s not unique to Amazon, otherwise we’d see a universal app that does more than the native Amazon, Apple Music, Tidal, Qobuz etc apps do. (And no, I don’t think Roon is that universal app ;) )

Jim Shaw

Forum Donor
If they pull off the implementation of that (including lossless casting) in the timescales they’re suggesting, then they must have really good developers and much better access to Amazon resources than other companies I’ve already named.
I don't know how long the Amazon lossless API has been available, but I've been getting 24/96 and 24/192 high res music from Amazon for over a year now. You make me feel better about selecting a cheap iPad to interface with it.

Interestingly, I was just watching an interview with Schiit and the question was asked as to when they would offer a streamer? The answer was ~ "no plans. We aren't a software company. Firmware yes, but not really software, and streaming is mostly a software chore."

DrZingo

Here is what Amir said in the review: "Personally I can't recommend the WiiM Mini due to lack of support for Roon player..."
I was simply referring to your comment that you're not much of an ASR member if you don't use Roon. To me, it would be a bit sad if someone new here believed this and left. That's all. I don't even think the majority of the members here use it, but I'm quite new here myself so I could be wrong.
(For what it's worth, I agree that it seems odd that no streamer can be recommended unless it supports Roon.)

Witterings

The main difference is that Chromecast Audio is unstable and glitchy.

Complete opposite to my experience, I've just swapped back to using my Chromecasts and am on the verge of sending my 3 WiiM's back as not fit for purpose.

I've had constant stuttering issues that come and go and this is one of my posts in "the other thread" from earlier today

Brantome

Major Contributor
I don't know how long the Amazon lossless API has been available, but I've been getting 24/96 and 24/192 high res music from Amazon for over a year now. You make me feel better about selecting a cheap iPad to interface with it.

Interestingly, I was just watching an interview with Schiit and the question was asked as to when they would offer a streamer? The answer was ~ "no plans. We aren't a software company. Firmware yes, but not really software, and streaming is mostly a software chore."
There are layers of history and complexity around Amazon Music and Amazon Music HD that my tired brain can’t tackle tonight - suffice it to say that developing and gaining certification for a third party implementation of the lossless 16 & 24 bit Amazon Music HD service is a steep climb…

Top Bottom