• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Review (Streamer)

Rate this streamer:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 12 2.6%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 47 10.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 224 47.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 186 39.7%

• Total voters

Smartplug

Addicted to Fun and Learning
And now there’s a “June 8” revision that arrived to me today, June 12. Personally I don’t mind a couple days of delay for roll out but that’s totally different than being stuck several months behind.
Can you check if that version support amazon hd?

Brantome

Major Contributor
Can you check if that version support amazon hd?
Amazon music lossless HD only appeared with whitelisted devices and firmware 418247, and involved logging in again to the Alexa app as an unauthorised device. If you’re not whitelisted and don’t have that or a later firmware, I can’t see how you could get access to AMHD. I thought you had been whitelisted, so I’m confused as to why you keep asking this question when it’s already been answered ….

Smartplug

Amazon music lossless HD only appeared with whitelisted devices and firmware 418247, and involved logging in again to the Alexa app as an unauthorised device. If you’re not whitelisted and don’t have that or a later firmware, I can’t see how you could get access to AMHD. I thought you had been whitelisted, so I’m confused as to why you keep asking this question when it’s already been answered
Did you get an updated on 427 on bug fix?

fquails

Any hints on how to update the firmware on ios devices? Did multiple factory resets, let it sit for 2 days hoping for the auto update, but it stays on 4.6.332855
From my app—at the top, it says “reboot the device to update”. See screenshot below.

Attachments

• B3616D1E-1231-4279-9F9C-B0DD720B196B.jpeg
    B3616D1E-1231-4279-9F9C-B0DD720B196B.jpeg
    214.5 KB · Views: 79

DuncanDirkDick

Forum Donor
I've got the update on day 3 automatically. But now the tidal connect device disappears constantly from tidal. This thing seems a nice idea, but it's way too unstable for my taste.

Music1969

Major Contributor
But now the tidal connect device disappears constantly from tidal. This thing seems a nice idea, but it's way too unstable for my taste.
Make sure you report it to WiiM.

They are working pretty hard to fix bugs but they need people to report it to them, so they can reproduce it.

They are not reading this forum, they've told me.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
I've got the update on day 3 automatically. But now the tidal connect device disappears constantly from tidal. This thing seems a nice idea, but it's way too unstable for my taste.
Tidal Connect has been rock solid for me, using an iPhone. Perhaps you have WiFi issues, such as interference from a neighbor’s router.

fquails

My Tidal Connect is rock solid. Your problem appears to be network connection related.

DuncanDirkDick

Forum Donor
Strange, I basically can't get 30 minutes of playback without something stopping or crashing. It's right next to the router right now, so probably no signal issue.
There is plenty of wifi interference where I live, but everything else works, so I'd expect it to work as well.

Last edited:

Brantome

Major Contributor
Strange, I basically can't get 30 minutes of playback without something stopping or crashing. It's right next to the router right now, so probably no signal issue.
WiiM have reported some issues with some routers - it may be worth your while submitting a ticket thru the WiiM app so they can check your logs.

Smartplug

There is plenty of wifi interference where I live, but everything else works, so I'd expect it to work as well.
Also try to enable 5ghz to avoid possible interference if connected to 2.4ghz

fquails

I have three Wiims, one near the router and the other two far with multiple walls between. All rock solid connections and streaming. Maybe you have a faulty unit.

Music1969

Major Contributor
Already wrote a ticket, I'm on 5ghz only
Make sure you record the time it stops and then starts and send new logs.

This will help them zoom into the issue

I've been having Amazon casting issues with my WiiM Mini the past couple days.

I wonder if it's a WiFi disconnection problem.

I'm on 5GHz and their latest release notes mentions fixes for WiFI disconnections, so there must be more cases out there

(although my Alexa casting disconnections are not when 'idle' and I'm guessing same for you)
1655043734449.png

DuncanDirkDick

Forum Donor
Maybe, the way it works right now is pretty useless. For reference, how long after a reboot until it shows up in tidal and as airplay device? It's about 10 minutes for me, but I need 5-10 attempts until tidal is connected, and I can play something.

@Music1969 maybe it's the same problem. Since the latest update, it didn't disconnect while playing, just if you pause it for a few minutes. But restoring the connection takes ages. But it's hard to say whether it's reboots, intermittent disconnects. Router logs say it stays connected while it vanishes from the app and tidal.

Last edited:

Music1969

Major Contributor
Router logs say it stays connected while it vanishes from the app and tidal.
Yes but if its the WiiM mini itself losing internet connection, then router logs won't show intranet disconnection.

I think there are some WiiM internet connection issues, looking at the release notes. So you are not the only one.

For me Airplay works reliably but then again, Airplay doesn't need the WiiM Mini to need an internet connection - only a LAN connection working well.

Airplay only needs my iPad needing reliable internet connection, which is no problem. Airplay works by pushing, not pulling.

Anyway next time you notice it disconnection and reconnection, write down the times. Make sure you tell them your timezone also, so they can make sense of the log and where to look.

And send 'feedback' via WiiM Home app. Describe the problem and when you press send it will ask if you want to send your logs.

Mention your router model in your feedback also.

Top Bottom