• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Mini Streamer

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
For a bit more than the cost of a Roon lifetime subscription, just buy a miniDSP box.

Plug WiiM into miniDSP via optical.

Loads of DSP powah.

And don't need to be forced into another 3rd party app to use Tidal and Qobuz.

Tidal Connect is already supported by WiiM.

Qobuz Connect is happening and I'm sure will come to WiiM when it launches.
Yes, but... Without Roon support, it'll never get on the Recommended list here or, most likely, at Stereophile. Most of us don't care, but that's the kiss of death for a lot of folks, unfortunately. Too bad, as it's highly subjective.

Brantome

Major Contributor
Roon is also on their roadmap, at least according to their FAQ.

Is Roon supported? Print

Modified on: Tue, Feb 22, 2022 at 1:27 PM

Not yet. We have a plan to enable Roon on this product later this year with an automatic software update. Please stay tuned.

Until then, re: Roon support - since WiiM Mini supports AirPlay 2, it should work with Roon as the endpoint.
It was meant as tongue-in-cheek :)

However, for AMHD users, it‘s rather moot (or should that me mute? ;) ) as there’s a snowball’s chance in hell that Roon will ever support that

Jmudrick

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
For a bit more than the cost of a Roon lifetime subscription, just buy a miniDSP box.

Plug WiiM into miniDSP via optical.

Loads of DSP powah.

And don't need to be forced into another 3rd party app to use Tidal and Qobuz.

Tidal Connect is already supported by WiiM.

Qobuz Connect is happening and I'm sure will come to WiiM when it launches.
I feed the WiiM into my cheap PW-Link for DSP. Perfectly happy with it. I like Anthem Room Correction and never have to mess with the wonky Play-Fi app.

Schollaudio

I'm thinking of buyig a WiiM Mini Streamer . What streaming radio options come with it? We like WXPN U of Penn Philly over Net Radio. I use Pandora too but would change.

Last edited:

Music1969

Major Contributor
Yes, but... Without Roon support, it'll never get on the Recommended list here or, most likely, at Stereophile. Most of us don't care, but that's the kiss of death for a lot of folks, unfortunately. Too bad, as it's highly subjective.
Roon will come. I already advised @John Atkinson that he should hold his review till December.

And by December many things could be added to WiiM Mini - Amazon UHD casting more polished, Spotify HiFi could launch, Airplay may go hi-res, Qobuz Connect.

Makes huge sense to hold the review...

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
I'm thinking of buyig a WiiM Mini Streamer . What streaming radio options come with it? We like WXPN U of Penn Philly. I use Pandora too but would change.
TuneIn, iHeartRadio, vTuner, plus you can save your own URLs. I'm surprised Pandora isn't included, as it's there on other Linkplay devices.

Also, since it's a UPnP target, you can add lots of other things, like BBC Sounds, BandCamp, MixCloud, SoundCloud, etc. via LMS.

Jmudrick

Forum Donor
I'm thinking of buyig a WiiM Mini Streamer . What streaming radio options come with it? We like WXPN U of Penn Philly. I use Pandora too but would change.
Tune In , V-Tuner and I-Heart Radios are built in options.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220613-105639.png
    Screenshot_20220613-105639.png
    604.8 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:

Brantome

Major Contributor
WXPN from vtuner on WiiM Mini…

Attachments

• 2FFB13C6-B804-40B5-91AA-48D7A3374098.jpeg
    2FFB13C6-B804-40B5-91AA-48D7A3374098.jpeg
    67.7 KB · Views: 60

Music1969

Major Contributor
If we imagine Amazon UHD is a better experience by December. Qobuz Connect comes. Tidal Connect already here. Spotify HiFi might be here.

Just connect WiiM Mini and you can do very hardcore DSP yourself. Or pay a fair price for the Dirac Live option and have state of the art room correction.

I wouldn't be spending money on Roon unless you don't stream and want your big drive of hard drive music to look pretty.

No question for that use, Roon does make browsing your hard drive look nice.

I haven't touched my hard drive for years though :D

1655132583492.png

Music1969

Major Contributor
I didn't realise Roon lifetime is now USD699 !

So this miniDSP Flex is way better value to me, considering how it can really transform sound quality (DIY EQ or with Dirac Live room correction)

jensgk

Forum Donor
Talk about 1st World problems, gaps seem to be a life altering issue for you....

I could care less about Gaps or Gapless, just give me flawless 24/192 and I'm all good... Heck if it sounds good enought, they could throw in some extra long gaps...

Your flawless 24/192 requirement is the epitome of a 1st World problem... No one can hear the difference between 24/48 and 24/192, but gapless playback can be heard by anyone..

Jmudrick

Forum Donor
Your flawless 24/192 requirement is the epitome of a 1st World problem... No one can hear the difference between 24/48 and 24/192, but gapless playback can be heard by anyone..
Absolutely. Given the choice between gapless+room corrected 24-48 and gappy uncorrected 24/192...well not hard to figure that one out.

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
I wouldn't be spending money on Roon unless you don't stream and want your big drive of hard drive music to look pretty.

No question for that use, Roon does make browsing your hard drive look nice.

I haven't touched my hard drive for years though :D
Nor have I. Amazon, Tidal, Qobuz all offer far more albums than I could ever buy, at CD quality, for little money. Allmusic.com offers all the recommendations, reviews, bios, similar albums/artists, new releases, credits, etc. that seem to be the things Roon users rave about. You can save albums in your collection, and see professional and user ratings. Get rid of all ads and speed up performance for just $12/year. A real bargain.

Also, for many albums, you can click on the album link on the Allmusic web page, and start playing it. Just have the Amazon Music app running in the background, connected to your WiiM.

Screenshot 2022-06-13 8.34.33 AM.png

Music1969

Major Contributor
WiiM have been great helping me on the weekend and today with WiFi 5GHz dropouts. Only with casting from Amazon Music app has been an issue. Airplay fine

The last few hours have been really good, problem free

If tomorrow is problem free for me I'll share what i did in case it helps others having WiFi dropouts

I don't want to get too ahead of myself and have issues tomorrow.

But looks like the tweak has done the job

And if so, ill then be ready for the beta UHD release next week they say

Merifon

Jitter only matters right at the point D is converted to A. Not before.
to be precise, it matters in A to D studio production stages also but we can do nothing for that and is to be hoped that they use state of art machines... ;-)

Last edited:

Bamyasi

Lossy Amazon Music via WiiM Home is properly gapless for me.

Firmware ending in 430

Playing Above & Beyond Group Therapy 483 which is a continuous mix
Try Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon first/second tracks and you will hear it. DJ mixes sound OK but many other records are not. In particular, it produces some annoying effect when the second track is starting loud.

Comparing to Qobuz, same tracks play perfectly gapless on WiiM app, so it is definitely AM implementation issue.

Last edited:

Smartplug

WiiM have been great helping me on the weekend and today with WiFi 5GHz dropouts. Only with casting from Amazon Music app has been an issue. Airplay fine

The last few hours have been really good, problem free

If tomorrow is problem free for me I'll share what i did in case it helps others having WiFi dropouts

I don't want to get too ahead of myself and have issues tomorrow.

But looks like the tweak has done the job

And if so, ill then be ready for the beta UHD release next week they say
The 8247 works fine as it support tidal master as well as amazon uhd.

Music1969

Major Contributor
to be precise, it matters in A to D studio production stages also but we can do nothing for that and is to be hoped that they use state of art machines... ;-)
100% agreed.

But to be more precise jitter only matters right at the points of both A to D and D to A

but as you hinted I only focused on the half we can control at playback side

Music1969

Major Contributor
Can anyone using Amazon Music casting to WiiM Mini (not Amazon via WiiM Home) - both lossy and beta lossless - try something for me.

It might help a lot of people.

Can you change your router DNS settings to CloudFlare but using DNS over TLS (DoT). See screenshot below

I've been able to turn this on and off and the dropouts are quite repeatable at my end.

So I think I will tell WiiM Support as it might solve a lot of support tickets but would like someone currently not having issues Amazon casting, to test.

Specifically casting from Amazon Music app - not using WiiM Home app for Amazon Music

You have to select DNS over TLS (DoT) like shown below.

When I simply turn off DoT (I select DNS Privacy Protocol = None) then I have no issues using Cloudflare

So it seems DoT DNS encryption causes my disconnections.

It will be easy for you to turn this on/off

Just do a reboot of the router after you make a change. Maybe reboot WiiM Mini also.

This results in disconnections in Alexa app (WiiM Mini shows as "offline") and you can't cast to it from Amazon Music app, as it doesn't appear:
1655181023397.png

This has no disconnections in Alexa app and works perfectly (no DoT):
1655181268419.png

Bamyasi

Can anyone using Amazon Music casting to WiiM Mini (not Amazon via WiiM Home) - both lossy and beta lossless - try something for me.

It might help a lot of people.

Can you change your router DNS settings to CloudFlare but using DNS over TLS (DoT). See screenshot below
Very few routers support DoT at that time. Mine does not, even though it is a 3 years old model, still supported with firmware updates.

Top Bottom