• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Amp Streaming Amplifier Review

Rate this streaming amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 13 3.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 44 10.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 224 54.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 129 31.5%

• Total voters

JSmith

Master Contributor
The only wish is post output filter feedback to eliminate low dependency of the frequency response.
For sure, however good to see this device tested on your AP, not too bad measurements wise and great functionality. At least that load dependency is not as pronounced.

The guts;

1708406534357.png

1708406594390.png

1708406646633.png

1708406697512.png

1708406777183.png

JSmith

D

Deleted member 48726

This is a link where you can see the Wiim amp with real loads and how it influences the response according to load-->

1708407074419.png

D

Deleted member 48726

Yes great features and good price. Load dependent FR (and okish SINAD at only 20.5dB) is a „poor“ for me.

I am surprised it got a „recommended“ as that doesn’t seem consistent with other reviews.
PFFB should really be mandatory where we are now with class D and chip amp performance as this has real world consequences. The THD+N seem like is sorted out by a huge margin with these.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I am surprised it got a „recommended“ as that doesn’t seem consistent with other reviews.
I have recommended a bunch of other class D amps from AIYIMA to Fosi with similar performance.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
PFFB should really be mandatory
It can’t be the component cost involved: it’s a handful of cheap parts. It’s also not rocket science to implement. I think there are some patents preventing the implementation of this feature. Like this one from Texas Instruments:

If so, we’ll have to wait until 2037 or until someone finds another way. It’s interesting that TI would hog the patent, since it’s mostly their chips used in these kind of amps. They could easily make the patent free to use around their own products and create more demand by doing so.

So if covered by patents, it brings up another controversial point about the recently tested 3E audio amps: are they legal?

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They could easily make the patent free to use around their own products and create more demand by doing so.
I could easily imagine that they just have bigger, better patents to license and so nobody at TI is doing outreach about it. IME whenever a tech company does something that doesn't seem to make sense, (or doesn't do something that does make sense) it's because it's nobody's job to do it, and/or they somehow make more money by not doing it.

If it were me I'd ask for $1-5 per amp in royalties which would be $5-25 more on the MSRP before you get to the parts cost. I think the crowd here would probably pay that just to avoid the frequency dependence, even if SINAD is more than enough here.

So if covered by patents, it brings up another controversial point about the recently tested 3E audio amps: are they legal?
Patent infringement can only ever really be determined in court. So the answer is too expensive for anyone to want to find out for sure. ;)

JSmith

Master Contributor
You are authorized to use, copy and modify any individual TI Resource only in connection with the development of applications that include the TI product(s) identified in such TI Resource. NO OTHER LICENSE, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, BY ESTOPPEL OR OTHERWISE TO ANY OTHER TI INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHT, AND NO LICENSE TO ANY TECHNOLOGY OR INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHT OF TI OR ANY THIRD PARTY IS GRANTED HEREIN, including but not limited to any patent right, copyright, mask work right, or other intellectual property right relating to any combination, machine, or process in which TI products or services are used. Information regarding or referencing third-party products or services does not constitute a license to use such products or services, or a warranty or endorsement thereof. Use of TI Resources may require a license from a third party under the patents or other intellectual property of the third party, or a license from TI under the patents or other intellectual property of TI.

JSmith

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
I have recommended a bunch of other class D amps from AIYIMA to Fosi with similar performance.
Ok I understand the consistency argument.

They are just technologically inferior vs. SOTA especially as it also might be audible under certain load conditions as opposed devices with more consistent FR but slightly less SINAD. Maybe, not in this thread, one could start a discussion, what FR load dependence would be considered "great" so you could drive industry to implement improvements (where needed), similar to that when you started way back the SINAD discussion and called out poor designs.

Last edited:

Talisman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Yes great features and good price. Load dependent FR (and okish SINAD at only 20.5dB) is a „poor“ for me.

I'm the first to complain about the load dependency of small class D designs, but here you guys really don't know how you think that a amplifier plus streamer, plus hdmi in a nice case, with a serious amount of power, that also provides low pass filters and high pass and even integrated peq for 300 euros should not be recommended..... It's an incredible value, and if with your speakers the load dependence should give you excessive brightness you just need to use the peq filters.
This product is exceptional.

Last edited:

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
I'm the first to complain about the load dependency of small class D designs, but here you guys really don't know how you think that a plus streamer, plus hdmi amplifier in a nice case, with a serious amount of power, providing also low pass and high pass filters and even integrated peq for 300 euros..... It's an incredible value, and if with your speakers the dependency on the load should give you excessive brightness you just need to use the peq filters.
This product is exceptional.
Yes as I said, price and features are great, technologically not so much and therefore value is relative and very individual.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
value is relative and very individual.
That’s why everyone doesn’t vote the same option at the poll, and that’s why you may want to ignore @amirm’s value judgement at your own discretion.

I think it’s a bit silly to dismiss a potential problem with a product when the solution to the problem is already integrated in the product in the first place.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
That’s why everyone doesn’t vote the same option at the poll, and that’s why you may want to ignore @amirm’s value judgement at your own discretion.
Yes of course and that´s why there is discussion.

I think it’s a bit silly to dismiss a potential problem with a product when the solution to the problem is already integrated in the product in the first place.
No need to call me "silly". As for your argument, it only holds, if the effect is linear, which I dont think it is given the quite "erratic" impendence responses of some speakers.

taotone

Voted poor. I do for all amps that will alter the frequency response according to which speaker is connected.
Many speakers have high impedance much higher than 8 ohm in mid to high frequencies. There is a chance this amplifier from 2023 will change how these speakers sound. I think this is more important than how much below threshold the THD+N is.

Also no power cube tests.
Could you say how you could put together a starter hifi system with those features and performance for a similar amount of money? Genuinely curious.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
No need to call me "silly".
I don’t call you silly, I call the argument silly, at least in this case.

As for your argument, it only holds, if the effect is linear, which I dont think it is given the quite "erratic" impendence responses of some speakers.
It is a linear function, it doesn’t matter how erratic the impedance is. It will nicely scale with volume until the inductors start to saturate, as in: the difference will be the same at any volume. By then, you’ll have other things to worry about anyway.

Last edited:

JSmith

Master Contributor
Wiim amp with real loads
There is no complex load that represents all speakers though.
Also no power cube tests.
In fairness, Amir has stated before in other threads;
On Powercube, it doesn't like amps like this with high floating ground voltage on one channel. The cause is unknown.
Also, there is a hardware bug in the Powercube load box where if the negative leg of amplifier output is at anything above 0, it will lock up and no longer function.

JSmith

Petevid

Thanks for the review Amir.

I understood the reviews to be based purely on technical function and not on value for money?

Top Bottom