• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Amp discussion

Cool Runnings

You still have no idea what nationality the underlying or majority ownership of Wiim are, looking at a list of investors can't tell you that.
Sure you’re technically correct. I don’t know with 100% accuracy who are the majority shareholders. I don’t have a stake in this either ways. Good for you that you live in a world where you move forward only when you have 100% proof of anything.

In my world I don’t need to have 100% verification to make a reasonably confident conclusion for such discussions which have no significant impact on anyone.

When I see a list of investors that are ALL China companies and a US address that looks more like a small office or mailing address, that’s good enough for me. Worst case I’m wrong. Boohoo so what. At least I’d have learnt something.

wilkman

Yes, I have the same version now. Just updated. I still have the same problem but with your earlier comments I could identify the issue. Seems that there was a conflict with the Amazon fire stick. When I unplug the stick it works fine. So I checked the fire stick settings and noticed that HDMI cec control was active. After deactivation and it seems to work now. Finally I'm fine with the device apart from the humming/coil whine. I'll ask for replacement in the app. Thanks

Joffy1780

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Sure you’re technically correct. I don’t know with 100% accuracy who are the majority shareholders. I don’t have a stake in this either ways. Good for you that you live in a world where you move forward only when you have 100% proof of anything.

In my world I don’t need to have 100% verification to make a reasonably confident conclusion for such discussions which have no significant impact on anyone.

When I see a list of investors that are ALL China companies and a US address that looks more like a small office or mailing address, that’s good enough for me. Worst case I’m wrong. Boohoo so what. At least I’d have learnt something.
I just tend not to make assumptions, but if it's good enough for you, then great.

xSDMx

As I understand not dramatic at all.
Yeah, it's a bit hard to understand the comment from WiiM official, but it sounds like the issue is just that the OTA won't download for some users? I.e., not a firmware issue, but a distribution issue.

wilkman

Yeah, it's a bit hard to understand the comment from WiiM official, but it sounds like the issue is just that the OTA won't download for some users? I.e., not a firmware issue, but a distribution issue.
I understand it like that: the update button is currently visible if there's no update. I guess it should only be displayed if an updated is available.

warpdrive

If you look at the investor list its pretty clear they're of China origin. Nothing wrong or right about that. Just that it'll be fair to say Wiim is part of the wave of Chinese companies planning on going global in a big way. But yes agree, not your typical China HiFi company set-up. Wiim/Linkplay seems to have much bigger ambitions and more complex corporate roadmap/gameplan.

yes I agree. The other companies like Topping etc, offer fragmented standalone devices, whereas I can see Wiim as having more of a complete eco-system and has integration among a whole lineup of devices. It might not be long when we see soundbars, even TVs etc that have their technology integrated.

Linkplay can offer a full-stack of technologies that can work together to solve a problem.

xSDMx

HDMI CEC standby support is working beautifully in the latest update. You no longer need to rely on auto-sense for this. So, when you turn on your TV and play audio, it's instant (vs. waiting for auto-sense to kick on after 5s of continuous audio playback).

Cool Runnings

I just tend not to make assumptions, but if it's good enough for you, then great.
This is my last note on this.

There are wild baseless assumptions and there are reasonable evidence (even if not 100%) or experienced based assumptions.

Most of life is based on some manner of assumptions btw. Even here in ASR or the scientific process. More so in the big variables of everyday life and business.

To say don’t make assumptions unless 100% sure is simply unrealistic for most people to follow as a general rule of life.

Much better to say try to make reasonable assumptions, move forward, make mistakes, learn from them, then make better assumptions, make more (but different) mistakes and learn some more.. ad naseum.

Joffy1780

Addicted to Fun and Learning

There are wild baseless assumptions and there are reasonable evidence (even if not 100%) or experienced based assumptions.

Most of life is based on some manner of assumptions btw. Even here in ASR or the scientific process. More so in the big variables of everyday life and business.

To say don’t make assumptions unless 100% sure is simply unrealistic for most people to follow as a general rule of life.

Much better to say try to make reasonable assumptions, move forward, make mistakes, learn from them, then make better assumptions, make more (but different) mistakes and learn some more.. ad naseum.
I didn't say don't make assumptions unless you're 100% sure of anything, I really have no idea why you are taking it so personally, all I've said is you don't know they are Chinese.

jeroboam

You know what they say about "assume",it makes an ass of you and me :).

punQ

Can someone post what chromecast version the wiim amp is running? (you can see this in google home app)

wilkman

Can someone post what chromecast version the wiim amp is running? (you can see this in google home app)
Sorry, but I can't find any information about this in the Google Home app. Any idea where exactly I should look?

s0nix

I've decided to send back the amp I got from wiim-audio.de. The process goes through Audio Trade, and I hope it doesn't take them too long to receive the new devices with the issue resolved.
The waiting continues, I guess. :rolleyes:

wilkman

I've decided to send back the amp I got from wiim-audio.de. The process goes through Audio Trade, and I hope it doesn't take them too long to receive the new devices with the issue resolved.
The waiting continues, I guess. :rolleyes:
I bought it on wiim audio.de as well but I asked for replacement via wiim support. Wait for it now. But it's okay so far, because the current one can still be used - apart the coil whine it's a great device.

Last edited:
Top Bottom