• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Amp discussion

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
Does anybody know what kind of cooling system will be included in the wiim amp? Hopefully just passive cooling and not a fan or something similar. I had a citation amp from HK and the fan was just annoying.
It's a passive one.

ninetylol

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Does anybody know what kind of cooling system will be included in the wiim amp? Hopefully just passive cooling and not a fan or something similar. I had a citation amp from HK and the fan was just annoying.
I would actually like a Fan for longetivity, but a quiet one. Citation amps Fan sucks indeed, but its needed for as hot it gets.

OldTimer

Just missed the coaxial input. The sub hole should be replaced with it.

wilkman

It's a passive one.
Thanks - Great. Sounds like an interesting device for my needs. But one thing that bothers me is the following one mentioned in the current dark audio review:

1. Turning off an HDMI-connected Samsung ‘The Frame’ TV shuts off sound to the loudspeakers (as we’d expect) but a low-level randomised ‘put-put-put’ sound (noise interference?) continues to spill from the KEF KC62 subwoofer. I have to switch the WiiM AMP over to another input to make it stop.
I hope that works better with LG TVs or will be fixed by an update

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
Thanks - Great. Sounds like an interesting device for my needs. But one thing that bothers me is the following one mentioned in the current dark audio review:

1. Turning off an HDMI-connected Samsung ‘The Frame’ TV shuts off sound to the loudspeakers (as we’d expect) but a low-level randomised ‘put-put-put’ sound (noise interference?) continues to spill from the KEF KC62 subwoofer. I have to switch the WiiM AMP over to another input to make it stop.
I hope that works better with LG TVs or will be fixed by an update
I don't think it could be related to the tv when sound to the speakers shuts off. If it is not strictly limited to hdmi input then, maybe, he faced a side effect of high frequency signal present on the sub out.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
DSCF8112-Enhanced-NR.jpg

Trouble Maker

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If using the Amp in one zone, and Mini in another, how well does Wiim's sync would work across these zone? Or instead of the Mini if Chromecast with speaker grouping in the Pro is necessary? These zones are physically connected so 'real' sync is necessary. Some good auto sync or ability to manually adjust seems critical in my case since the LS50W may add it's own latency.

Use Case: KEF LS50W (gen 1) already in the living room. I want to add Wiim Amp + probably in walls to the kitchen. Down the road would add another zone to a future back deck, which will be 'connected' the the kitchen via french doors. I would primarily want to stream through Spotify (connect?).

Side question: Does the mini have PEQ? I see 10 band GEQ for all Wiims, but the Pros specifically call out also have PEQ.
Edit: It seems adding PEQ to the Mini is in their roadmap for upcoming features.

Last edited:

GiBo61

If using the Amp in one zone, and Mini in another, how well does Wiim's sync would work across these zone? Or instead of the Mini if Chromecast with speaker grouping in the Pro is necessary? These zones are physically connected so 'real' sync is necessary. Some good auto sync or ability to manually adjust seems critical in my case since the LS50W may add it's own latency.

Use Case: KEF LS50W (gen 1) already in the living room. I want to add Wiim Amp + probably in walls to the kitchen. Down the road would add another zone to a future back deck, which will be 'connected' the the kitchen via french doors. I would primarily want to stream through Spotify (connect?).

Side question: Does the mini have PEQ? I see 10 band GEQ for all Wiims, but the Pros specifically call out also have PEQ.
Edit: It seems adding PEQ to the Mini is in their roadmap for upcoming features.
The Wiim Mini already has the PEQ.

VladimirJ

I too run the WXA-50 with the WiiM Mini via S/PDIF. I'm eager to try out the WiiM Amp and would sell off my Yamaha and the WiiM Mini.
+1 here!
But, I could see the first few WiiM AMP reviews (Darko, Cheapaudioman...) were not as enthusiastic as I was thinking they would be, given how much praise those guys gave to Mini, PRO and PRO+ earlier.
Guess there's nothing else to do but to try it out :)

Ruffy

Has anyone had one of these hands on yet? @amirm?

A chip amp hanging off a Wiim Pro Plus (almost, slightly different DAC chip I think). Looks like it could be a good HDMI ARC alternative to my NAD D3045...

Cheers,
Andrew

druskys

Hi all,

I had a quick question.

I have wiim pro (streaming Qobuz) —> topping e70 velvet DAC —> topping la90 discrete amp —> philharmonic bmr monitors.

I want to (i) add a sub (maybe two) and (ii) add dsp with hpf and lpf to integrate my sub(s).

Would I be able to replace my wiim pro with the wiim amp to achieve my goals? Or will I have issues running two amps in a chain (even with the wiim amp turned down)? Sorry, I’m pretty novice so this may be an obvious answer. I’m just not 100% sure how two amps in a chain would affect things…

I’m alternatively considering buying/placing a dspmini flex digital before my DAC. My understanding is I would then also need another DAC before my sub (unless my sub has a DAC), so would get clunky… would much prefer using the wiim amp.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks!

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
Hi all,

I had a quick question.

I have wiim pro (streaming Qobuz) —> topping e70 velvet DAC —> topping la90 discrete amp —> philharmonic bmr monitors.

I want to (i) add a sub (maybe two) and (ii) add dsp with hpf and lpf to integrate my sub(s).

Would I be able to replace my wiim pro with the wiim amp to achieve my goals? Or will I have issues running two amps in a chain (even with the wiim amp turned down)? Sorry, I’m pretty novice so this may be an obvious answer. I’m just not 100% sure how two amps in a chain would affect things…

I’m alternatively considering buying/placing a dspmini flex digital before my DAC. My understanding is I would then also need another DAC before my sub (unless my sub has a DAC), so would get clunky… would much prefer using the wiim amp.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks!
The Amp can replace your WiiM Pro and the DAC and external amp. It cannot replace only a streamer because it has no digital output nor analog line outs, except the one dedicated to the subwoofer.

druskys

The Amp can replace your WiiM Pro and the DAC and external amp. It cannot replace only a streamer because it has no digital output nor analog line outs, except the one dedicated to the subwoofer.
Ahh okay, that makes sense. Thanks! I guess I’ll be using the minidsp flex digital for my setup.

mvnchies

Ahh okay, that makes sense. Thanks! I guess I’ll be using the minidsp flex digital for my setup.
I don't mean to try to sway you here but... you could replace the DAC with the regular miniDSP Flex too, it seems to measure incredibly well.

druskys

I don't mean to try to sway you here but... you could replace the DAC with the regular miniDSP Flex too, it seems to measure incredibly well.
Thanks, I’ve considered. Am debating whether I care enough about the LPF or if I just get a sub with HPF (am thinking speedwoofer or svs) and integrate with my DAC. Then I can use PEQ on wiim pro to even it out more and call it good.

Also, unrelated question. Is it worth adding a second topping la90 discrete amp? My room is small, so in terms of power I don’t think I need it. Would it add to better separation/clarity though?

wilkman

I've just ordered it on the German WiiM site. It's available for 314 Euros as a pre-order discount. Can't wait to try!
Yes! Thanks for the information. I was also waiting for it. Pre-Ordered as well

BossBunos

Thanks, I’ve considered. Am debating whether I care enough about the LPF or if I just get a sub with HPF (am thinking speedwoofer or svs) and integrate with my DAC. Then I can use PEQ on wiim pro to even it out more and call it good.

Also, unrelated question. Is it worth adding a second topping la90 discrete amp? My room is small, so in terms of power I don’t think I need it. Would it add to better separation/clarity though?
I would opt for the (balanced) flex as well. It provides the option to add and configure multi sub and you can sell your e70.

Adding a second la90 wouldn't make it better if you don't max out the volume right now. It will potentially only make it worse if your speakers have low impedance.

Top Bottom