• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Amp discussion

Power Pop 23

Forum Donor
FYI

WiM is now selliing the WiiM AMP on Amazon USA for $299.00. 'Currently', I see only a listing for the Space Gray color. Fulfillment is by Amazon.

robertbb

The specs on the WiiM site say the power supply is: "100-240v 50/60Hz AC"

Can anyone confirm whether one of these Amps, if bought on Amazon US, will work with an Australian-plug power cable?

Bonus question, I assume the power plug on the back of the WiiM is some kind of known standard (looks like a mini "8" and as such and these cables should be available from Jaycar or Cablechick or similar). Anyone know what they are called and where this might be found here in Oz?

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
In 1979 I bought a Yamaha CR 420 receiver for about $310 + tax. I don't know how 1979 US dollars compare to today's. But, I still have to say that in this light, the WiiM Amp is an incredible bargain.

Psigh

The specs on the WiiM site say the power supply is: "100-240v 50/60Hz AC"

Can anyone confirm whether one of these Amps, if bought on Amazon US, will work with an Australian-plug power cable?

Bonus question, I assume the power plug on the back of the WiiM is some kind of known standard (looks like a mini "8" and as such and these cables should be available from Jaycar or Cablechick or similar). Anyone know what they are called and where this might be found here in Oz?
Have a look here, they've confirmed this spec:
https://forum.wiimhome.com/threads/wiim-amp.1322/page-15#post-25641

Like you said, it looks like a standard iec C7 two pin power connector, so should be good to grab one locally if it's not in the box.

Last edited:

telemike

If the ADC is ASR good I may be interested in connecting my turntable.

robertbb

Have a look here, they've confirmed this spec:
https://forum.wiimhome.com/threads/wiim-amp.1322/page-15#post-25641

Like you said, it looks like a standard iec C7 ywo pin power connector, so should be good to grab one locally if it's not in the box.
Good shot! They're available at multiple online retailers here and even Officeworks stores (though 2-3 times more expensive there, as usual).

I know nothing about electronics, but I assume the power supply inside the amp will automatically adapt to whatever country it's in and WiiM would just include a different power cable depending on the region. Probably makes sense for them to do this as there's less SKU versions to worry about and simplifies production as well.

robertbb

Actually, from the WiiM. forums (as per link provided above):

"The WiiM Amp comes with a built-in power supply that accommodates 100-240V 50/60Hz AC power and supports up to a maximum current of 4A"

Does this mean there would need to be a special Australian version of this device, even if the plug physically fits? Google tells me power points in Oz are 10A.

OP
Graham849

Graham849

Forum Donor
Actually, from the WiiM. forums (as per link provided above):

"The WiiM Amp comes with a built-in power supply that accommodates 100-240V 50/60Hz AC power and supports up to a maximum current of 4A"

Does this mean there would need to be a special Australian version of this device, even if the plug physically fits? Google tells me power points in Oz are 10A.
Relax, the 10A PowerPoints can allow a current draw from an appliance upto 12A - think electric kettle or microwave. A 4A Amp is well within current limits. Amps can be thought of as to how fast someone is running. 12 amps is very fast. Arc welders connected up to 20A sockets are super fast. Hope that helps.

flor

I’m going to replace my huge AB amp and assorted dac and streamer boxes with the Wiim Amp and my floorstanders with bookshelves to regain some space in the living room.

JSmith

Master Contributor
@WiiM Team ... maybe a small discount voucher for ASR members?

I wonder if this amp might be included in Cyber Monday sales on Amazon.

JSmith

hashkey

A member on the WiiM forum has done some tests…

orientpear

As an owner of both the WXA-50 and the WiiM Mini, I can attest that the differences between Yamaha MusicCast app and WiiM Home app are significant and lean positively towards the WiiM Home, at least for me. It's simply a much more potent and modern app, by any account.
I too run the WXA-50 with the WiiM Mini via S/PDIF. I'm eager to try out the WiiM Amp and would sell off my Yamaha and the WiiM Mini.

DannyBoyNYC

On the WiiM forum the OP mentions "typical consumption is between 11W and 14W when nothing is played, it goes down to 6W for an "idle" mode and can drop to below 1W under some circumstances, in such case the Amp looses its WiFi connection and cannot be awaken with the remote"
I'm curious as to what circumstances cause it to drop below 1W. I require an amp that can be woken up when it receives a signal (like my NAD M10 V2). Would be a non starter for me if I constantly had to manually power it on.

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
On the WiiM forum the OP mentions "typical consumption is between 11W and 14W when nothing is played, it goes down to 6W for an "idle" mode and can drop to below 1W under some circumstances, in such case the Amp looses its WiFi connection and cannot be awaken with the remote"
I'm curious as to what circumstances cause it to drop below 1W. I require an amp that can be woken up when it receives a signal (like my NAD M10 V2). Would be a non starter for me if I constantly had to manually power it on.
For example when "powered off" using the remote while having network as the input. It will go into the mentioned state after some time.

DannyBoyNYC

For example when "powered off" using the remote while having network as the input. It will go into the mentioned state after some time.
Thanks. Ordering one today. I had a bunch of Power Node Edges in my eBay watchlist but they always seem to go for over $400.

warpdrive

This is a game changing amp.

It seems there are more and more amps supporting HDMI ARC.....combined with streaming support with a current DAC chip, and just enough power for the average room. I hope the measurements are at least as good as the Fosi/Aiyama type of amps. If so, you have a winning formula

HDMI ARC is the missing piece of the puzzle that allows people to easily replace soundbars with a proper set of speakers. So you plug this into your TV, drop in some affordable passive speakers, and you have a system that handles your TV needs (with HDMI ARC CEC, no need to use a separate remote if all you want to do is watch TV). Not only that......a proper crossover function with adjustable frequency! There are tons of cheap subs you can buy to fill in the bottom end, like Elac/Jamo/QAcoustics etc.

Anton D

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I got a text from a Hi Fi buddy who said the whole WiiM line has been popping in and out of "20%" off at Amazon today.

I grabbed a Wiim Pro Plus for 175 dineros. Other models on sale, too.

DannyBoyNYC

I got a text from a Hi Fi buddy who said the whole WiiM line has been popping in and out of "20%" off at Amazon today.

I grabbed a Wiim Pro Plus for 175 dineros. Other models on sale, too.
The amp is no longer available on Amazon (US) :::

Currently unavailable.
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.

My order says :::

Arriving Dec 2 - Dec 4

wilkman

Does anybody know what kind of cooling system will be included in the wiim amp? Hopefully just passive cooling and not a fan or something similar. I had a citation amp from HK and the fan was just annoying.

Top Bottom