• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why you can't trust audio measurements by GoldenSound

Status
Not open for further replies.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Usually "shadowbanning" means, that the user is banned in such a way, that he is not aware of that. So he can still post, but his posts don't appear to anyone but him.

What I think GoldenOne means, is that the status under his avatar (also after hovering over it) still shows "Active Member", so in this case it is the other members that are not aware he was banned and may assume that he doesn't respond for one reason or other. Frankly, I agree with him on that. If you banned him, then change his status.
View attachment 201423

That is just the way our platform, Xenforo, works. All banned members remain hidden from membership. Here is the statement from forum FAQ:

"Why do banned users still show as normal members and appear in the member list?
This is the designed behavior; there is no outward indication that a member has been banned. Their user title stays the same and they will still appear in the members list. If required, you can manually change a banned member's user title, or create a user group with a higher display styling priority and add them to it. To prevent them from appearing in the members list you can change the user state to anything other than valid.

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/frequently-asked-questions.5183/#post-180445"

Other forum software like VBulletin show the member as banned. It is a social issue as to whether it is good or bad idea to show a member as "banned." It is like a company having a list of employees they have fired. You don't see such lists.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
And oh, we have no capability, nor have used the tactic of making a posters posts be invisible to others. This only happens if our spam filters catch a post. Otherwise, what you post and see, is what others see.

OP
L

Lambda

Major Contributor
Batch mode generates pdf but it is mostly useless information and presents a more error prone interface due to its automation.
So what measurements cant be taken in Batch mode?
If you for example have a pretest "DAC ASIO out Signal ended in input 2.5V range 10-20khz" with all the usual settings and test you do manually how would this be more error prone ?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
You have any idea what Proprietary means? because you said it is not Proprietary.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proprietary_software
Sure you can uses Proprietary_software and export to non Proprietary data.
Yes, I have a reasonably good idea. If we use your colloquial definition, all measurement software created "proprietary" files- I need to use REW to read REW files, ARTA to read ARTA files and so on. And of course, it's absolutely irrelevant to the issue at hand- if you want a complete picture of data and setup, you look at the project file. Second best is looking at the graphs. The PDF report is of minimal use in this context.

So we're still waiting for you to demonstrate the right way to do the measurements and present the data. Please help us benighted AP users.

Haze

He makes an interesting point about intersample overs. How they are handled is information I'd like to know before buying a dac and it's information that just doesn't seem to be out there.

kthulhutu

It's not necessarily a bad video, but I do find it funny how he focuses on mostly irrelevant amp and DAC measurements. Makes me wonder if GoldenSound is ever going to stop chasing inaudible differences.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Sure you can uses Proprietary_software and export to non Proprietary data.
Which I do in the case of headphone and speaker measurements. This is how others are able to create EQ, preference score, etc. There, there is proper value so I go through the extra work. A pdf is not that data and could not at all serve that purpose.

OP
L

Lambda

Major Contributor
So we're still waiting for you to demonstrate the right way to do the measurements and present the data. Please help us benighted AP users.
Sounds like a typical strawman to me...
i Asked if it is proprietary you said no.
Aren't Project files proprietary?
but now you say:
all measurement software created "proprietary" files
Lots of tools measurement software can export to CVS or SVG, or bitmaps or plain text.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Sounds like a typical strawman to me...
i Asked if it is proprietary you said no.

but now you say:

Lots of tools measurement software can export to CVS or SVG, or bitmaps or plain text.
The project files contain all settings as well as data. Other formats don’t.

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
By the way, in today’s video P McG took another potshot at @amirm. Below the belt and wronger than wrong.
That aside, he says the instrumentation is far more sensitive than any ear. Then he realizes that is getting him in trouble so finishes with the usual retort that we can't measure what sounds good. He does so while he is pointing to his ears. I wonder if he will ever pass a test that tells us his ears are capable of hearing such measure.

brandonhall

Forum Donor
That aside, he says the instrumentation is far more sensitive than any ear. Then he realizes that is getting him in trouble so finishes with the usual retort that we can't measure what sounds good. He does so while he is pointing to his ears. I wonder if he will ever pass a test that tells us his ears are capable of hearing such measure.
Best part of that video was Paul acting like he didn't know your name or the name of the site. "It's called AudioSciences. Yeah, that's it". It's such a holier than thou attitude and a complete turnoff.

Last edited:

jasonhanjk

This is a good video.

Here is a good example of good SINAD but ****** HP driver.
Best SINAD 108dB at 100k ohm load.
Best SINAD 93dB at 33 ohm load.

I don't see anything wrong at how ASR present these number; it's mainly the user issues that does not learn to read datasheet.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Yep.

More recent measurement potshots here.
AP555X put to usage and Marv invented AmirNAD per USD in order to find a way in which the Modi3E can beat other ASR measured DACs.
The Modi 3E slaughters its competition when it comes to AmirNAD per USD
Of course Marv has a poor usage of AP555X per review.:)

Seems like a good DAC though for $129.- limited to 16/44.1 to 24/192 via USB, Coax, and Optical.
At least the measurements seem to be trustworthy and comparable this time but that's what one gets if one uses the same analyzer and the same settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom