• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Ifi extremely dishonest about their Diablo power

Human Bass

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thanks to Goldensound for doing work. Quite a shame that such expensive and cool form/factor product underperforms by a quite big margin

"Power: This is something I wanted to discuss early in this post as it’s an important factor in why many people may be considering buying the Diablo 2, and critically: The iDSD Diablo does NOT have 5W of power as iFi states on the product page and marketing material! It has 1.6W! First, a bit of info on how amplifier power is measured. The industry standard method of providing a power spec is that unless otherwise explicitly stated, the power spec given is a continuous RMS spec. Meaning that it is the level at which the amplifier can output/run continuously without exceeding 1% THD. So when you see an amp with ‘6W’ of power, it means it can run continuously outputting 6W, with distortion under 1%. Many amps may be able to output higher levels just with higher distortion (some may even provide a 10% THD power spec as well), and many amps also may be able to output higher than their continuous rating for short periods of time. For example an amp might be rated for 6W, but could supply 15W for very short bursts."

And they have being doing that for a long time.

"So if the Diablo 2 can only output 1.6W RMS, and 2.5W peak, why are they claiming 5W power on the box? Well, unfortunately this was also an issue on the original diablo, though even worse, that unit could only achieve about 0.8W RMS according to both my own and L7 Audiolab’s testing……"

OP
H

Human Bass

I mean, the whole audio thing I can give a pass due to subjectivity. But when it comes to power there is no excuse for being less than half.
Ifi dishonest? What’s next, your going to tell us the earth or round?

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
I mean, the whole audio thing I can give a pass due to subjectivity. But when it comes to power there is no excuse for being less than half.
They have been telling all kinds of fairy tales for years. Why stop at the power spec ?

I wouldn’t touch Ifi even with a stick.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Seems overpriced, too. A fool and his money...

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If it makes iFi dishonest to mislead people to believe the power specs they listed is comparable to others, what does it make GoldenSound to mislead people that there are actual audible differences between headphones amps like A90 or Diablo under normal listening conditions?

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Another update on the misleading specifications of the Diablo

Philbo King

So, is that the equivalent of 100W peak instantaneous music power? (Fortunately I haven't seen PIMP used as an amp spec for quite a while) :)

D

Deleted member 21219

So, is that the equivalent of 100W peak instantaneous music power? (Fortunately I haven't seen PIMP used as an amp spec for quite a while) :)

Wasn't Peak Instantaneous Music Power one of the reasons the FTC made its original move to standardize power specifications back in - what? - the mid-'70s?

Jim

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wasn't Peak Instantaneous Music Power one of the reasons the FTC made its original move to standardize power specifications back in - what? - the mid-'70s?
That I don't know. But in 80s maybe early 90s we had PMPO = peak momentary power output. You could get a 2000W PMPO powered speaker for $100. Good days.

Top Bottom