• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why do people like/use Roon?

Grumpish

I played with Roon for a few hours, and hit the Windows resolution bug - it wanted me to set some crazy unreadable resolution in Windows. Yes, I know that are workarounds, but it was the excuses that put me off "It doesn't work because Microsoft doesn't it do properly the way that Apple does". I have seen programmers eased out of the door for coming up with excuses like that - for something that was free, yes, OK, but not for paid for software.

atsmusic

I played with Roon for a few hours, and hit the Windows resolution bug - it wanted me to set some crazy unreadable resolution in Windows. Yes, I know that are workarounds, but it was the excuses that put me off "It doesn't work because Microsoft doesn't it do properly the way that Apple does". I have seen programmers eased out of the door for coming up with excuses like that - for something that was free, yes, OK, but not for paid for software.
hahaha you think apple does software properly?

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

redstang

Does Roon have dynamic/smart playlists that update based on song playback metadata (like iTunes does)?

rkbates

Forum Donor
Does Roon have dynamic/smart playlists that update based on song playback metadata (like iTunes does)?
I don't think so. It has "Roon Radio" which plays similar artists to the last one you listened to. This seems to work pretty well - better than Spotify in my opinion.

GDK

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
With the last major update, for users with Tidal or Qobuz Roon introduced six daily (!) playlists, centred around a single artist but combining music from a number of different ones. Those are based on your listening preferences as well as that of other users. In my experience, they are pretty good, but who needs six new 25 song playlists every day?

redstang

With the last major update, for users with Tidal or Qobuz Roon introduced six daily (!) playlists, centred around a single artist but combining music from a number of different ones. Those are based on your listening preferences as well as that of other users. In my experience, they are pretty good, but who needs six new 25 song playlists every day?

That's not very revolutionary. Everything can create playlists off of someone/something you're listening to. If it can't produce a playlist of, for example, everything in my library I haven't played in the past year, then it's a non-starter for me.

Xenio

Hello,

I just received my denon x3700h and subscribed for the first time to a streaming service (tidal)
My old 2.0 setup will go in the bedroom

I tried HEOS with tidal + my musics on the PC through DLNA. It's just so neat; however the HEOS android app is kind of garbage AND if I want HEOS in my bedroom i need a 300$ HEOS streamer (that doesn't support audyssey room EQ !!!) '-'.

So

I'm looking at my options, and apparently loads of people use roon player.

I could buy one or two raspberry pi and run roon player on it and have multiroom apparently. But the cost of roon is a bit high (since we also need the streaming subscription ...)

Do you guys know of any other multiroom options that support tidal + DLNA + roomEQ (even if I have to do it by hand with REW or idk) ? If it works with the denon x3700h it's a bonus, else I'll plug a raspberry pi or something to it.

Or is roon THE solution ?

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello,

I just received my denon x3700h and subscribed for the first time to a streaming service (tidal)

I tried HEOS with tidal + my musics on the PC through DLNA. It's just so neat; however the HEOS android app is kind of garbage AND if I want HEOS in my bedroom i need a 300$ HEOS streamer (that doesn't support audyssey room EQ !!!) '-'.

So

I could buy one or two raspberry pi and run roon player on it and have multiroom apparently. But the cost of roon is a bit high (since we also need the streaming subscription ...)

Do you guys know of any other multiroom options that support tidal + DLNA + roomEQ (even if I have to do it by hand with REW or idk) ? If it works with the denon x3700h it's a bonus, else I'll plug a raspberry pi or something to it.

Do you actually need "multi room?" Meaning playing the same music at the same time in multiple rooms? If not just set up a separate streaming endpoint. For Tidal a Chromecast Audio off eBay is likely your best/easiest/cheapest bet.

For room eq in a separate room then you would need to add a DSP module to your streaming endpoint. The best/cheapest (not easiest) would be to set up a raspberry pi4 with Moode audio as your streaming endpoint instead of a Chromecast Audio. Moode has a DSP module included call Camilladsp. Which you can use to apply equalization setting. Either graphic eq, parametric EQ, or convolution filters.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
The 40 different names of different systems you guys all have and here I am. I would be happy with Sirius XM radio. Yup, you guessed, I don't have it either. I don't even know if they make what I want in an easy to use format/system. So, until they dumb it all down and or make it much simpler, I'm staying in the 1990's.
If any of you want to educate me on some of this stuff, shoot me a private conversation. I'd appreciate it.

Xenio

Do you actually need "multi room?" Meaning playing the same music at the same time in multiple rooms? If not just set up a separate streaming endpoint. For Tidal a Chromecast Audio off eBay is likely your best/easiest/cheapest bet.

For room eq in a separate room then you would need to add a DSP module to your streaming endpoint. The best/cheapest (not easiest) would be to set up a raspberry pi4 with Moode audio as your streaming endpoint instead of a Chromecast Audio. Moode has a DSP module included call Camilladsp. Which you can use to apply equalization setting. Either graphic eq, parametric EQ, or convolution filters.
No I don't need it at the same time. But I'd like to have something uniform.
Also I want to be able to play my files from the PC.
I'll look into it

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No I don't need it at the same time. But I'd like to have something uniform.
Also I want to be able to play my files from the PC.
I'll look into it
Got it. You want to be able to use the same app or music management interface and have it work for your music in whatever room you want to play it in. One room being the Denon and another being a tbd streaming endpoint.

Specifically your personal music collection and Tidal.

I can think of 3 systems that do what you want.

1)roon+the above rpi4 solution. It works and everyone here who uses it says it's great. They currently have a $1 for 3 months subscription special to try it. So you can try that and see what think.

2)volumio. They have a rpi based solution as well. You can buy their fully finished streamer and add tidal connect for. Fee.

3) bubble upnp app on an Android device and rpi4 streaming endpoint. I use this solution with Moode on the rpi4. Bubbleupnp is a streaming dlna control point as well as dlna renderer. So you can log in to tidal and your media server while in the app on your phone or tablet and then pick the song/album/playlist and then pick the endpoint to send it to (Denon or moode rpi4, or play on the phone itself).

Those are my suggestions not talking about the music server software for you to check out. If you use Roon it includes the music server software. I use Plex as my local music server software. There are other choices as well that others can recommend.

Xenio

I'll check out the third option first then I'll see the others. Thanks a lot. With a Plex server maybe I'll even be able to send movies to the Denon somehow.

tw99

Hello,

So

It’s also possible to do what you want using the (now open source, and free) Logitech Media Server ecosystem.

Top Bottom