• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Response curves and why your doing it wrong.

Shadrach

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Music, if your lucky enough to know what that is, is supposed to illicit an emotional reaction.
Somewhere in the process of getting civilized that spot fell out of favour and some people got all puritanical and cerebral about music and the "spot" became something base that only savages and unrefined people awoke with music. All those pulsing beats and uninhibited dancing was for savages and of course, those awful young people.:p

In this day and age with all the technology at hand we can measure the response of our systems and many audiophiles spend countless wasted hours and money adjusting their systems response hoping in vain I might add, to "hit the spot".
Speaking for myself, test tones for example don't hit the spot.

I would like to propose a new measurement system that relies on the ancient spot where real emotion lies and it resides somewhere between the belly button and the groin.
Let me explain.
When I was young and being brought up in Western society where even way back then the media promoted a particular house curve, 34-22- 34 used to hit the spot quite nicely.
My Moroccan friend prefered 38-26-38 and couldn't be doing with those thin sounding curve. He like some body to his curves.
I have Indian friends who much prefer more emphasis in the midrange and what gets his feet tapping is a 38-38-42 curve; that's a bit loud for me.
I guess if your from the USA from what I've read 36-24-38 ,or even 36-24-40 is popular; a bit in your face if you ask me, but it takes all sorts.:eek:

These days, heading towards elderly, I've come to appreciate a bit more at the bottom end; sort of built for comfort rather than speed and I find the top end has sort of sagged into the middle range and becomes harder to identify so 36-26-34 or even 36-26-32 feels good to me.

It does as I've mentioned, take all sorts but for those who prefer a flat response accross the range I have to ask, have you considered boys?:D
Seriously, forget about what a handfull of cerebraly driven obsessives tell you what you should like and go for the spot. If your up dancing or even tapping your foot given the senior nature of the average audiophile you've got it.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
I would like to propose a new measurement system that relies on the ancient spot where real emotion lies and it resides somewhere between the belly button and the groin.
I could imagine for most audiophile (males) the spot lies closer to the latter. Not sure what audio gear can do here though, but I might not want to know either. ;-)

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Music, if your lucky enough to know what that is, is supposed to illicit an emotional reaction.
Somewhere in the process of getting civilized that spot fell out of favour and some people got all puritanical and cerebral about music and the "spot" became something base that only savages and unrefined people awoke with music. All those pulsing beats and uninhibited dancing was for savages and of course, those awful young people.:p

In this day and age with all the technology at hand we can measure the response of our systems and many audiophiles spend countless wasted hours and money adjusting their systems response hoping in vain I might add, to "hit the spot".

Let me explain.
When I was young and being brought up in Western society where even way back then the media promoted a particular house curve, 34-22- 34 used to hit the spot quite nicely.
My Moroccan friend prefered 38-26-38 and couldn't be doing with those thin sounding curve. He like some body to his curves.
I have Indian friends who much prefer more emphasis in the midrange and what gets his feet tapping is a 38-38-42 curve; that's a bit loud for me.
I guess if your from the USA from what I've read 36-24-38 ,or even 36-24-40 is popular; a bit in your face if you ask me, but it takes all sorts.:eek:

These days, heading towards elderly, I've come to appreciate a bit more at the bottom end; sort of built for comfort rather than speed and I find the top end has sort of sagged into the middle range and becomes harder to identify so 36-26-34 or even 36-26-32 feels good to me.

It does as I've mentioned, take all sorts but for those who prefer a flat response accross the range I have to ask, have you considered boys?:D
Seriously, forget about what a handfull of cerebraly driven obsessives tell you what you should like and go for the spot. If your up dancing or even tapping your foot given the senior nature of the average audiophile you've got it.

Been drinking again huh?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Very strange post. Then again being able to achieve flat response doesn't mean that's one's listening preference particularly either.

OP
Shadrach

Shadrach

Very strange post. Then again being able to achieve flat response doesn't mean that's one's listening preference particularly either.
It's just a bit of fun. I find audiophiles tend to take themselves very seriously.

pkane

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Oh, please! I bet you couldn’t tell the difference between any of these curves in a blind test.

OldHvyMec

Forum Donor
it resides somewhere between the belly button and the groin.
Mine is my forehead, I think you're experiencing the cabbage you ate. Maybe lay off the milk as a secondary possibility.

Regards.

Salt

Forum Donor
Purity can only be prooved by testing, ranomised and double blinded, of course :cool:

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Those of us who are in committed relationships best stay to the "house curve" I'd dare say.

Salt

Forum Donor
This has been torn down widely in extentional discussion on ASR here, with only one, but honerable note for correction here.

Ze Frog

Let me explain.

I'm the opposite. When I was younger I was really into bass, the more the better. These days I really appreciate a more analytical type sound. Which is kinda odd seeing how as I'm getting older I'm losing the higher frequencies. Which kind of reminds me of a thought I had a while back, like at what frequency does a loss beyond that really degrade the sound to the level of non enjoyment.

boxerfan88

As we age and encounter HF rolloff, mild tinnitus may be there to round things back up.

Top Bottom